R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 R60 Rear view mirror with homelink buttons

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
bigchrisz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R60 Rear view mirror with homelink buttons

Is there anyway to add the rear view mirror with the homelink buttons to a Countryman that didn't come with that option?

Does anyone know?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested in the answer too

Old 06-10-2011, 05:09 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
I tried to order my All4D with this mirror as I found it so useful on my old Clubman but my dealer said it can't be done. But ...

Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
mavic1010
2nd Gear
I believe its the same mirror as on the R56 and R55. It's not that hard. All you need to do is find a power source and tap into it. If you get the auto dimming its too much work to do the non-auto dim when in reverse, so if you can live with that, its an easy mod. My dealership said it couldn't be done either on the R56....little did they know.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 AM
AlfaDude1
1st Gear
Homelink

I have the homelink on the mirror. My recommendation is to clip a small remote to the visor and don't give it a second thought. The buttons on the mirror are not in a great place and you have to be careful not to move the mirror every time you use them. Just my opinion...

Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '05 MCS was pre wired and was real easy to add the mirror, I was going to put that mirror in my CM, but the car isn't pre wired for it....
All I wanted was the garage door opener, my rear window is tinted pretty dark and the auto dim really isn't a concern...
I don't have a sunroof which left an open switch position... I have a two-door garage opener that I took apart and put inside where the motion sensor for the alarm would have gone (I don't have an alarm).
I put a DPDT momentary switch where the sunroof switch would go and wired it to the garage door opener internals, I also put the LED from the opener near the switch.
When I get home in a week I will take photos and make a write up if anyone is interested... I matched the switch pretty close to the existing switches, the whole setup looks almost like it would have come that way from the factory and it controls two garage doors..

Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 AM
j_vincent
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mjgood
My '05 MCS was pre wired and was real easy to add the mirror, I was going to put that mirror in my CM, but the car isn't pre wired for it....
All I wanted was the garage door opener, my rear window is tinted pretty dark and the auto dim really isn't a concern...
I don't have a sunroof which left an open switch position... I have a two-door garage opener that I took apart and put inside where the motion sensor for the alarm would have gone (I don't have an alarm).
I put a DPDT momentary switch where the sunroof switch would go and wired it to the garage door opener internals, I also put the LED from the opener near the switch.
When I get home in a week I will take photos and make a write up if anyone is interested... I matched the switch pretty close to the existing switches, the whole setup looks almost like it would have come that way from the factory and it controls two garage doors..
Very interested.

John

Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Here is the DIY as promised....

Youtube of the switch in operation...
http://youtu.be/V4xR1_8ydlY

PDF of the instructions...
https://files.me.com/mjgood/kmsy0j

the switch I use will operate two doors, I push the switch forward for one door and backwards for the other door...

Old 06-16-2011, 01:07 PM
j_vincent
1st Gear
Wow! Thanks for the very complete instructions. I will be doing this mod. Looks great. Very professional.

John

Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
jwedding
1st Gear
I've been told that the Homelink mirror will eventually be an official accessory like it is for the other models, it just hasn't been released yet due to the newness of the CM. We'll see....

Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM
jonbettie
1st Gear
Has anyone had any issues getting the garage door buttons to program? I've tried multiple times to no avail. Would very much appreciate any tips or tricks.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 PM
TPBC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jonbettie
Has anyone had any issues getting the garage door buttons to program? I've tried multiple times to no avail. Would very much appreciate any tips or tricks.
Try resetting the mirror first. Hold the two outer buttons down for 30 seconds ( it seemed more like a minute LOL)
If you have a garage opener with the rolling code you need to push the learn/reprogram button on the back of the garage door motor (it should flash). It would be better if you had another person to help you. I did it by myself and kept missing the 30 second window to make it back to the car in time to engage the program sequence on the mirror. I'm sure it was pretty funny watching me run back and forth a few times. I went through the same thing with our old E93. It must be a BMW thing. It wasn't that difficult with our Lexus. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM
rewdpost
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jonbettie
It also may help to know that if you have a rolling code you may need to program the mirror up to 3 times after pushing the "learning" button on the garage opener itself before you are synchronized

Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Anyone ever consider or have mounted a garage door opener in the bottom button area where the sport button and window lock buttons are? Quite a few blanks there if you don't get some of the other options. Was thinking this would be a good place to mount and could be a push button.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Another aftermarket option
http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/

Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bradrulz
Anyone ever consider or have mounted a garage door opener in the bottom button area where the sport button and window lock buttons are? Quite a few blanks there if you don't get some of the other options. Was thinking this would be a good place to mount and could be a push button.
There might me too much blocking the signal from the transmitter, transmitters are very low power, my garage doors are metal and add to block the signal. So far being mounted in the overhead panel it has been working well...

Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
jwedding
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
Another aftermarket option
http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/
Anyone used one of these? Know what's involved with the wiring? Simple enough, and WAY cheaper than a 300$ mirror to solve the problem.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Mosborn78108
Neutral
Talking

Originally Posted by bigchrisz
Is there anyway to add the rear view mirror with the homelink buttons to a Countryman that didn't come with that option?

Does anyone know?
I spoke to our Mini Dealer as mine didn't come with anything and there is no Home Link mirror after market yet developed for us. In looking at the cost of the R-56 ($650?), I'm not sure its cost effective.

One option I'm looking at the the ON-Star mirror sold by Best Buy. I believe it includes home link.