Drivetrain Ultra-Gauge Vers.1.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Theta
Before taking it to the dealer, go to AutoZone and borrow an Actron scanner real quick. Those $200 units will tell you exactly what's going on. Then look up or post the code you get from that.
Bad News: I recall reading somewhere that, because of California law, AutoZone (and other places) won't let customers borrow code scanners.

Good News: My girlfriend's dad has an Actron code scanner that he let me borrow.

Bad News: It's 6 years old and doesn't appear to be able to read anything on my car (though it might be pilot error on my part).

Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, in that case, have them scan it for you. It's the same here due to people clearing cat fail codes...

They're too stupid to realize that the tests will still fail because it will show "not ready/not initialized".

Not sure if there's an age problem -- OBDII is always the same. Perhaps there's something going on with the ECU?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Well, in that case, have them scan it for you. It's the same here due to people clearing cat fail codes...

They're too stupid to realize that the tests will still fail because it will show "not ready/not initialized".

Not sure if there's an age problem -- OBDII is always the same. Perhaps there's something going on with the ECU?
I'll give it a shot.

I am starting to wonder about the ECU. I read through the whole Actron user manual and it's definitely not pilot error at this point. I keep getting a "Link Error" when I try to read codes, etc.

Very confusing.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Link Error is a protocol problem. That shouldn't happen on any vehicle after 1996.

Check your OBDII plug/port and make sure everything is making good contact and no wires are suspicious.

This doesn't seem like a coincidence that two scanners have not been able to read or clear codes. If you have them scan it and come up with the same thing, it points to the ECU.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Link Error is a protocol problem. That shouldn't happen on any vehicle after 1996.

Check your OBDII plug/port and make sure everything is making good contact and no wires are suspicious.

This doesn't seem like a coincidence that two scanners have not been able to read or clear codes. If you have them scan it and come up with the same thing, it points to the ECU.
As far as I can tell, everything looks okay on the readers and on my OBDII port. Nothing jumps out when I look at any of them, though I may not have the most discerning eye.

My girlfriend's dad said the Actron wouldn't work on his truck either, so that might point towards the device as the problem. I had assumed "Actron" was just a junky brand until you mentioned it.

But I agree: If I get a place like AutoZone to scan and they can't get anything, its not a good sign.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Theta
6th Gear
It's just like anything else - they make $40 scanners and $600 scanners. Generally, the AutoZone scanners are around $250 and are the 6-line readers. Best of luck!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
demon510
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Ultra Gauge, I just ordered mine.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Well I got my Ultra Gauge, So far I like it, however the rebate program sux. You have to take a test, on the manual, and answer all the questions correctly. Then you have to get your car mfg date, and then run a test to get all the numbers. There are close to 40 pairs of them. Then you have to put them in order in the rebate online form. Only to find out you didn't do it fast enough, so you have to start over. Then when you complete it fast enough you find out the form doesn't support 2013 minis! Sheesh.

I use to have to do this crap, when trying to run a computer game back in the 90's. Go to the manual that is printed purple on brown, and read the 2nd word from page 6 forth paragraph, ect.

The price is good, the rebate is childish.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Yep - that's the consensus on the 'net. I haven't bought one yet, but most people were furious with the process...

Old 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
jtack
4th Gear
LOL! I started the rebate process too. Instead of reading and answering the questions, I just started choosing the answers until I got the right one. Then began the process of getting all the numbers to put in the boxes, I gave up on that.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Unable to pull codes

Bad news, gents: As I reported earlier, I cannot get my UG to read the trouble codes on my car. Wasn't sure whether it was a problem with my car or the UG. Well, the UG was definitely the problem: I ordered a ScanGauge II from Advanced Auto Parts and it read the codes just fine.

Not sure whether it is my particular UG that is faulty or indicative of an issue with the UG altogether.

It's too bad, too, because I much prefer the UG layout to the SGII. Also, the UG at least portends to give you a boost reading, though I am unsure whether that is measuring actual boost or not. (For the SGII, you have to extrapolate boost from MAP, or so I've been advised.)

Last edited by Hujan; 11-14-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
I got rid of the openometer and used it as a mounting point for a temp gauge via the Ultra-Gauge, see my thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...penometer.html

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
I know this is an old thread but I am getting ready to buy a SGII and thought I would see if anyone has any updates on the UG Vs SGII before I checkout?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
I have the UG and love it. Like the look way more than the SG.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Thanks Wzabrouski

Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM
jbat66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
I have the UG and love it. Like the look way more than the SG.
Ditto. I looked at several and the UG won out. Great product for the price. There are others that are better but are also $200.00

Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Update: since installing my downpipe, I have been dealing with some CEL's and I noticed the Ultragauge not reading the pending or stored codes which were causing the CEL. Heard back from UG and there appears to be an issue. Not sure if it is specific to the CM but I wanted to
share.

Date: 05-17-2013 14:50:15
Name: UltraGauge

UG is saying that it issued the command to set the light to "OFF".
Vehicles are allowed to ignore this command when the vehicle is running. With the ignition on, engine off, the Check engine light is natually on as a bulb check.
However, the command is working since the Check engine light is going out after you start the vehicle.

There must be something unique about the way the Mini has implemented the codes. No other vehicle has reported such an issue. The only way to resolve this issue is with a Donor ECM from a Mini. We do just so happen to have a 2008 Mini ECM. Unfortunately, all attempt to get it to function on the bench have failed. This either means that we purchased a bad ECM or that the schematics that we have are not accurate.
As this is a very unique issue to the Mini and there is no means to coax UltraGauge to read Mini codes at this time, there is not much we can do. You are entitled to free updates for a year. If we do find the issue with the Mini, we will gladly update your unit at no cost.

Best regards,

UltraGauge Support
www.ultra-gauge.com
Support is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9-5pm Central Time

Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 PM
threar
4th Gear
Just installed my UG replacing my oil pressure gauge. I actually think it looks pretty decent.

Now to get some testing in and see if it actually does what I need, or if I'll be swapping it for my ScanGauge.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Has anyone else noticed it does not read trouble codes or is it an CM thing?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Better idea

You know what I want? One of those round gauges in a Marshall/Craven pod that is a white background round LCD screen running the UltraGauge software in orange writing with either the three small black menu buttons on the rim at the bottom of the gauge or make it touch screen. About 2 1/2 inches in diameter would be good, with the nice chrome ring around it.

Like this (they make it in white where the picture is blue), in our Mini orange color writing http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/87...play_with.html

Where can I get that? And while I am dreaming, how about a 3-4 inch diameter gauge for the 2nd pod for the other side of the tach running Navigation software?

Attached Thumbnails Ultra-Gauge Vers.1.2-circular_round_shape_lcd_display_with_graphic.jpg_250x250.jpg  

Last edited by RockAZ; 06-21-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RockAZ
You know what I want? One of those round gauges in a Marshall/Craven pod that is a white background round LCD screen running the UltraGauge software in orange writing with either the three small black menu buttons on the rim at the bottom of the gauge or make it touch screen. About 2 1/2 inches in diameter would be good, with the nice chrome ring around it.

Like this (they make it in white where the picture is blue), in our Mini orange color writing
I looked into this;

But decided against it...

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_in...MULTDM100OBDII

It seemed to get mixed reviews online.

Rumor is Cravenspeed is working on one just for the mini.. Might be a winner!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:37 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Very interesting, 52mm diameter... exactly what the Craven pods are,.... Will hold on this purchase for a little while but this is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Thanks Dan!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Inkw8ll
3rd Gear
Anyone look into GReddy Multi DA Gauges?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Inkw8ll
Anyone look into GReddy Multi DA Gauges?
Handsome, a little spendy. A full 62mm in size might only work with their pods.

What I NEED, is a water temp gauge, and maybe the cost of everything else in a round face will limit my purchase to just that. OBD stuff would be nice, but living in a hot desert I know I want this on a 5 year car with idiot lights.

So my buddy tells me about this OBD to Bluetooth device that communicates to an Android app on an old deactivated Android phone he mounted in his car for all the data that comes out his VW Golf. I have Bluetooth enabled USB sticks that run a complete Android OS that only cost about $35, and I can purchase TFT screens in many shapes and colors for under $50. Might just be making my own, fill up that cubby hole in front of the shifter rather than a pod, but maybe still a pod on the left side of the steering wheel. Any interest in this project from the forum?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
I suppose I could run the Android Bluetooth to the rear view mirror? Watching Youtube videos in traffic doesn't sound like a good idea, and I wasn't really looking for a rear view camera, but this would display the OBD data as well - whatever video source I put into it. The USB Android device I have now is HDMI,

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-C...016549748.html

and one with Bluetooth built in http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-...016470316.html

So as I see it, most of the time a little panel in the mirror shows me the app with water temp and oil pressure, that's all. If the OBD reports an issue, I can either use my cell phone over blue tooth to control it, or bring a Bluetooth keyboard out to the car.

A lot more thought will go into this, but I would not be surprised if it all works.

Last edited by RockAZ; 06-25-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Ultra-Gauge Vers.1.2