R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Manic Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:31 PM
Tim Hall
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manic Roadster?

Just got this little guy last week. 2012 cooper s. It was the most fun car I test drove. Mx5 miata was a close second but I didnt fit (too tall).

Im looking at some cheap mods to get the most out of it. Im thinking new stepped intercooler and charge pipe, bhs oil catch can, and then Ill post my ecu off to Merica (Im in Australia) for a manic stage 1 tune by M7.

Sound like a reasonable plan?

These cars are plenty powerful and fun but the bang for buck with a simple tune and front mount is just so good its too tempting.

I could go all out and modify the hell out of it. But Id prefer at this stage to keep it simple and then one day in a few years I can throw in forged pistons and all that jazz if I really want. Trying to be grown up and pace myself with this one :D

The following users liked this post:
mark harries (01-05-2020)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 PM
2013_Roadster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice looking R59! I've only had mine for a few weeks but love it! Let us know how the mods work out.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:55 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Congrats!

The first mod I did was to order at the time of our custom build the short antenna (I still have the old one somewhere since it was not something installed at the factory), I think it was called a stuby. I understand it won't make the car go any faster, but I couldn't stand having a bouncing antenna on a roadster. That would be an unpleasant distraction when looking back

Old 08-01-2017, 03:45 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I just did the ManicMini stage 1 tune on my JCW Coupe and it's great. Was $500 locally in Arizona. More pop and burble from the exhaust too which he never mentioned. I didn't do anything else under the hood either. I would recommend a thicker rear sway bar to reduce the understeer a bit. Mine has the stock sport suspension. Our cars are similar, they don't have as much body lean compared to the hatchback. The Gen3 cars have quite a bit. Nice car by the way.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Cannot argue with the logic of what TheBigNewt said.

I have the Mini as I am tall, and the body has seen better days, so getting in and out is a whole lot better than a Miata, a S2000 or a Corvette. And the color of you car is not too bad either.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Tim Hall
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 2013_Roadster
Nice looking R59! I've only had mine for a few weeks but love it! Let us know how the mods work out.
Thanks, they are a pretty unique looking fun little car. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine. Will definitely update with the mods in a couple months when I do them.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Tim Hall
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
The first mod I did was to order at the time of our custom build the short antenna (I still have the old one somewhere since it was not something installed at the factory), I think it was called a stuby. I understand it won't make the car go any faster, but I couldn't stand having a bouncing antenna on a roadster. That would be an unpleasant distraction when looking back
lol I didnt even think of that. Im not too bothered by it. Reminds me of mariokart and the little antenna on the back of the kart when you have steering assist on.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Tim Hall
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I just did the ManicMini stage 1 tune on my JCW Coupe and it's great. Was $500 locally in Arizona. More pop and burble from the exhaust too which he never mentioned. I didn't do anything else under the hood either. I would recommend a thicker rear sway bar to reduce the understeer a bit. Mine has the stock sport suspension. Our cars are similar, they don't have as much body lean compared to the hatchback. The Gen3 cars have quite a bit. Nice car by the way.
Sounds like you've got a great car. What were your gains like with the manic stage 1? Do you know which map you are running. From what Ive read map c on stage one is like 20psi? So thats a fair bump from stock.

I wonder if the gains from the tune would be even more noticeable on the cooper s because its less powerful than the jcw stock.

i think I should at least do an intercooler before the tune. Im not convinced by the aftermarket intakes. Have you guys seen the mighty car mods youtube video mythbusting cold air intake systems?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Tim Hall
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Cannot argue with the logic of what TheBigNewt said.

I have the Mini as I am tall, and the body has seen better days, so getting in and out is a whole lot better than a Miata, a S2000 or a Corvette. And the color of you car is not too bad either.
The mx5 (miata as you guys call it) was an awesome car. If they make it so that humans can fit in it one day then I might even buy one. But I really do think the mini has an even better fun factor. The mini I got is still pretty clean. Its only done 18000miles (30000ks).

Old 08-20-2017, 05:37 PM
ChicagoRus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you mod suggestions are really reasonable. I did the intercooler and resonator delete pipe before I got my Manic stage 2. If you can figure out how to get the bumper off it's doable, even by those technically illiterate (like me). It's great fun and well worth the expense. When I got the Manic tune I also had them (M7 Speed in North Carolina, USA) give me a new downpipe and a new airbox. The sounds are amazing, go for it, it's a ball!

Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Sounds like a great plan, congrats on the R59. I don't think I have seen many down there.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-24-2017, 02:27 AM
Tim Hall
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ChicagoRus
I think you mod suggestions are really reasonable. I did the intercooler and resonator delete pipe before I got my Manic stage 2. If you can figure out how to get the bumper off it's doable, even by those technically illiterate (like me). It's great fun and well worth the expense. When I got the Manic tune I also had them (M7 Speed in North Carolina, USA) give me a new downpipe and a new airbox. The sounds are amazing, go for it, it's a ball!
Thanks. Plan has changed a little. I just got a good deal on a milltek down pipe with high flow cat. So Im going to install that and the intercooler and intercooler muffler delete silicon tube. Then get a local performance place in Australia to tune it with the DMS stage 2 flash. Stage 2 is 195kw at the engine. Should be lots of fun.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:45 AM
Tim Hall
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Sounds like a great plan, congrats on the R59. I don't think I have seen many down there.
yeah loving the r59 great car to swing around tight corners

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hall
Sounds like you've got a great car. What were your gains like with the manic stage 1? Do you know which map you are running. From what Ive read map c on stage one is like 20psi? So thats a fair bump from stock.

I wonder if the gains from the tune would be even more noticeable on the cooper s because its less powerful than the jcw stock.

I notice a LOT of acceleration gain. I can smoke the tires now (I try not to of course). I bet the gain is the same as with the MCS because the JCW has a bigger turbocharger as well as having an ECU tune compared to the MCS.
The car was plenty fast stock but way faster after the Manic tune. Gas mileage on highway is the same I think.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 PM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2014 R59 is Manic Stage 1 now. I got this tune at the Dragon, got a dyno the next day. 177 at the wheels. Torque reading seemed to be buggered from bad inductive clipons. Not bad for an automatic. Supporting mods: Helix intercooler, Borla Touring exhaust.

Last edited by BlueCooperS; 05-25-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Thats great!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-13-2018, 03:55 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Who actually has the most powerful roadster?

Is stage 2 manic the current benchmark

I need a target to aim for....
Whilst keeping a stock bottom end for now

I know lots of R56 builds are shooting way past that,
but some baby steps helps makes the spending easier,

Last edited by blue al; 05-13-2018 at 04:07 AM. Reason: I'm assuming 270whp, will do the job unless I've missed a post
Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Sean Currie
Neutral
New Roadster in AZ!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post as I am picking up my 2015 MCS Roadster on Monday!

This forum looks like it will be a huge source of valuable info... Thanks.

My initial questions are... I would love to get the exhaust pops and crackles that should be there in Sport Mode, but simply do not exist on this car even after being completely warmed up. How can I get that without spending a fortune so soon? I have seen suggestions like Manic Tune, cat back, downpipe, res delete... I would love any suggestions.

I did take the car to my local MINI dealer and he suggested not to get an aftermarket tune since it pushes more power through the parts and causes massive wear that destroys the car. Also, I am purchasing an extended warranty through my Credit Union and don't want to void the warranty. But, I want to make some customizations and enjoy the fun of customizing my new MINI,

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Sean Currie
Neutral
Oops...

I realized that post should have been listed as a New Post and not a reply in this thread. Sorry guys.