R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Rear shelf removal. Can it be done? Anyone here do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 PM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear shelf removal. Can it be done? Anyone here do it?

I have a 2011 convertible. Does anyone know if the rear shelf can be removed and if so, how? I know the small leg on the driver's side presses in the switch that allows the convertible top to open but other than that, does the shelf serve any real purpose?

I would love to remove it so I can open up some more cargo space and allow stacking of cargo but I'm not sure if that shelf does anything else important or how I would remove it. As for the switch, a piece of duct tape would take care of that. Just need to make sure I don't put the top down when I have cargo stacked back there.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The rear shelf is easily removed. Release the luggage compartment Easy Load levers and lift up the back hinged portion of the roof, and you can see how to pull the shelf out.

The rear shelf doesn't serve any practical function when the roof is up. When the roof is down, it supports the folded roof which would otherwise sag into the luggage compartment, and the rear window can break (it has happened to someone in the UK).

Old 03-25-2014, 06:10 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
The rear shelf is easily removed. Release the luggage compartment Easy Load levers and lift up the back hinged portion of the roof, and you can see how to pull the shelf out.

The rear shelf doesn't serve any practical function when the roof is up. When the roof is down, it supports the folded roof which would otherwise sag into the luggage compartment, and the rear window can break (it has happened to someone in the UK).
Thanks. That's good to know about it supporting the top when it's folded down. If it's that easy to remove, I guess I can always just take it off whenever I need to carry any stuff then put it back on whenever I put the top down.

Only thing I'm not seeing is how to unhook the metal crossbar that attaches it. It doesn't just pull out. Looks like something is holding it in place.