R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Highgate Owners - You out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 AM
MMKV
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!

Originally Posted by Denzien
Took delivery today:

Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Luckyelfie
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Highgate so much. I took it into Mini for some little issues (key fob not working etc) and the service guys were all over her. Told me it was their favorite Mini yet. Probably say that to everyone, but she is a beauty. Tiny teeny itsy bity regret not getting the S though. At least I won't have carbon build up issues.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed my chrome bonnet scoop and Union Jack mirror caps this past weekend.

I was originally going to get chrome mirror caps, but I saw that my wife had saved a Highgate configuration in my garage in the MINI configurator that had the UJ caps, and I thought the colors in the UJ went really well with the Iced Chocolate Brown paint and turquoise (?) accents, so I went for it.

After seeing this configuration, the chrome caps just seemed like too much chrome, though I really dig the bonnet scoop in chrome. It stands out well against darker paints.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Luckyelfie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Denzien
Installed my chrome bonnet scoop and Union Jack mirror caps this past weekend.

I was originally going to get chrome mirror caps, but I saw that my wife had saved a Highgate configuration in my garage in the MINI configurator that had the UJ caps, and I thought the colors in the UJ went really well with the Iced Chocolate Brown paint and turquoise (?) accents, so I went for it.

After seeing this configuration, the chrome caps just seemed like too much chrome, though I really dig the bonnet scoop in chrome. It stands out well against darker paints.
Nice!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 PM
TexNan
Neutral
Highgate Owner Here

I've had mine since July and am LOVING her still! She's COCO, because she's brown of course and also because she's beautiful, like Chanel. How's that for a double entendre? :lol
We went to MITO in October and had an awesome time in the mountains. I relearned how to downshift and so enjoyed those windy mountain roads. For a Texas flatlander, the Ozarks were a real treat!
Glad to see this forum and to hear about all you Highgaters out there.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Sportspack Mark
3rd Gear
I think this colour is amazing! Need more pics :D

Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Tektura
1st Gear
Highgaters: After almost a year, what do you think?

I stumbled across the Highgate model while "building" my car on the MiniUSA website. It was love at first sight. Haven't ordered it yet and I hope they are still available. What are the must-have add-ons when ordering?

What does everyone still think after owning it for a few months? Is it still the bomb? Anyone ready to sell? Will travel!

Mid-life crisis here I come!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Scooper_2012
Neutral
Hi, I bought mine in February of this year. It is a used mini demo car and had only 2500 miles. Traded in my 2004 Pepper White Cooper. I loved my 04 and had a hard time making the decision to part with it. But after driving the high gate I handed over the keys willingly. I love this car, it is fantastic, fun to drive, looks smart with the top up or down.
My car does not have bonnet stripes and I actually prefer it without. Makes it just a bit different from the others I've seen on the road. Yes, I thought I was the only high gate in Los Angeles! Hahaha.
Only thing I have noticed is when I am cruising along and I hit a rough patch of road it feels like I may lose control of the car. It handles very differently than my 04. My 04 was SOLID. Other than that, I am very happy with it. If you an get one DO!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
MMKV
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tektura
I stumbled across the Highgate model while "building" my car on the MiniUSA website. It was love at first sight. Haven't ordered it yet and I hope they are still available. What are the must-have add-ons when ordering?

What does everyone still think after owning it for a few months? Is it still the bomb? Anyone ready to sell? Will travel!

Mid-life crisis here I come!
I think personalization is all up to the owner but you definitely want to get the S, plus I am a fan of the heated leather seats, power everything, bonnet stripes, bluetooth, and boot mat (some of these are standard though with the Highgate). And I have had mine since July 2012 and I have no regrets! It is a great car!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tektura
What does everyone still think after owning it for a few months? Is it still the bomb?
I've always loved driving. I have never had more fun driving than I do driving my MINI. (Since early Nov. 2012) Nearly 19k miles and I need new tires already!

As I predicted a year ago, my wife steals the MINI as often as she's able. Lucky for me, she has to drive the kids to and from school, so I've only had to drive the minivan to work once.

Just yesterday, my wife expressed an interest in getting another mini as her daily driver instead of a new van - but keeping the old van after it's paid off for moving cargo and stuff that a roof rack can't take care of, or when moving more than 4 people. And probably for long trips, 'cause only an RV would be better than her Odyssey Touring. (But once we get that RV, it's good-bye minivan and hello beat-up old truck)

Things I regret not getting: XM Radio and the Homelink garage door mirror. Everything else...well, everything else I got except for the HK sound, black headlamps, alarm and JCW stage 1. I don't regret any of the options I *did* get, though I have comments on how some of them can be improved.

Last edited by Denzien; 09-20-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 AM
RM5
1st Gear
It is wife's daily car it has 25k on it and she had beat up the tires and wheels.I just got all 4 wheels repaired and refinished and new tires .As for reliability, already had the leaking sensor and now have to take it in for some brake software fix.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Tektura
1st Gear
These candid comments are great. Thank you all and keep em coming.

I'm getting excited about ordering my Highgate, but it's good to know that the car may have some bugs and need occasional repair.

I was also thinking about add-ons, like tinting the windows and having an alarm installed after delivery. Is that a better/cheaper way than adding the Mini alarm option? Is their's a honking horn or more like a LoJack where it can be tracked or remotely disabled?

How do the stock tires fair? What are you putting on for replacements? (For normal high milage highway cruising, not high performance.)

Thank again. Happy motoring!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Tektura
1st Gear
Auto or manual? Who's got what?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:37 PM
sfmike
Neutral
2012 Highgate S

Bought mine secondhand with 5k (rich guy's weekend toy). Like the car very much, though the ride is pretty punishing on the stock runflat tires - live in San Francisco and roads are uneven. Five year old son fits in the back in a booster, but not much leg room even for him. Power is excellent, although with sport button on it actually backfires (need to get that looked at). Biggest bummer was having the top slashed just after buying it, which along with the hard ride may put me into a coupe next time. Still on the right day it is unbelievable and brings out smiles everywhere I go. Color combo with the Smoke Silver and stripes is unique and beautiful.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:51 PM
musamini2
2nd Gear
The gurgle and popping in Sport mode (backfiring) is intentional. It's supposed to make it sound more 'sporty."

Originally Posted by sfmike
Bought mine secondhand with 5k (rich guy's weekend toy). Like the car very much, though the ride is pretty punishing on the stock runflat tires - live in San Francisco and roads are uneven. Five year old son fits in the back in a booster, but not much leg room even for him. Power is excellent, although with sport button on it actually backfires (need to get that looked at). Biggest bummer was having the top slashed just after buying it, which along with the hard ride may put me into a coupe next time. Still on the right day it is unbelievable and brings out smiles everywhere I go. Color combo with the Smoke Silver and stripes is unique and beautiful.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 PM
sfmike
Neutral
Originally Posted by musamini2
The gurgle and popping in Sport mode (backfiring) is intentional. It's supposed to make it sound more 'sporty."
That's interesting... It does give a hooligan feeling, which I kind of enjoy, but my wife finds it way too attention-getting and thinks it's broken. Nice boost in power as well. Guess I'm on the fence.

Much better than my last car in Australia though - an Alfa Mito QV which also had sport mode. Problem was the regular mode was bog slow and obviously intended to bump the mpg numbers. No such problem in the mini S though - still plenty fast without sport mode on.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 PM
vicseeley
Neutral
After 30k miles, still loving the highgate

Originally Posted by vicseeley
i love my highgate name max.
took max into the dealer today for 30k mile service. Had a few issues:
1. Door handles difficult to open
2. Bad wear problems on convertible top - any body else have this problem.

Miniusa is replacing the top under warranty

Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
The convertible top wear was an issue on Gen 1 MINIs (2005-2008).

But it does hapen on the R57 :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-top-down.html

Where are the wear points?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-22-2015, 08:05 AM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Very excited to have joined the Highgate club! This week I traded my 2012 Countryman in for 2014 Highgate. I am just in love with this cars unique color combo! I was just taking my car in a repair and had no intentions of buying a new car but when I saw this car and this price I had to have it! It had 405 miles and got it for 10k off stripes getting installed next week!

Old 10-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Jackscoopers
Neutral
2013 Highgate stripes

Hi, I have a 2013 Highgate cooper S convertible that I built, it's Silver, not chocolate, a unique combination. Is anyone having problems with the stripes fading? The original beautiful brown stripes with blue edges look horrible, they are faded and look like a blotchy grey. Except for being outside in the parking lot while I'm at work, my car is always in the garage. Would love feedback from other Highgate owners! Thanks

Old 10-25-2016, 05:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I have seen some of the highgate stripes fade.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...13#51147310519

#1 51147310519 and #2 51147310520

Post up some pics.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Denzien
3rd Gear
I've had two sets fade. Full disclosure - I don't really wash and wax, and I'm in Central Texas with lots of UV

Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 PM
technicallyrite
Neutral
DFW highgate

I traded in my Highgate for a GP2. It was my 4/5 mini and we treated each other well. You can find it at BMW of Arlington if you are in the Dallas, Texas area. It is manic stage 2 tuned with an forge intercooler, catless downpipe, Borla exhaust, Alta intake, hot and cold side boost tube, forge diverter, Evo iridium plugs. It also has an upgraded sound system from Polk audio and kicker. It is pushing 250+ Hp at the wheels, and the torque is pretty healthy. For some reason, the dealer thought all of these were not worth mentioning in the ad, so you would have to see for yourself. IMO they should've listed what it really is rather than the stock description. Disclaimer: I don't work for these guys I just think it's a shame for someone to buy this not knowing what they're getting, and not know how to appreciate it. I'd rather see a NAM member pick this up then someone who is not an enthusiast.

http://www.miniofarlington.com/Vehic...-TX/2860487473

Last edited by technicallyrite; 11-02-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:58 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a noob, what exactly comprises a Highgate R57? Is it just a color combo, or is there more to it? Recently picked up a 2013 R57 for my wife, and she LOVES it! So, what would indicate Highgate or not?

Old 11-08-2016, 05:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Paint and options, also it has the Highgate stated logos i certain places. Easy way to tell. I think of it what was the Sidewalk edition to the end of the gen 1 Convertible. It's a luxury edition for the R57 convertible, and with a cool colored top.

Quick Reply: R57 Highgate Owners - You out there?