R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Wind Screens

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
ManassasMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Screens

Before I go and spend $400.00 on one, Does anybody have one in their Cabrio and if so do they really work?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
It's perhaps the best accessory for your cabrio!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
With the Windows up and wind deflector in place, 40 degree or lower temperatures, top down driving is great. I have both a black one (Moss) and the dealer factory chrome framed one with little pockets in it for storage. We have two R57s. They function, but the new chrome frame dealer units are a lot more expensive. I believe retail is now $550. Moss motors factory unit is like $390 or so. They both fit the holes in the body panels. The black one is about an inch higher in the deployed position. I posted a question under the interior section. I am not sure what the little storage pockets in the horizontal panel are for. You can not get to the zippered panels while driving and when you get out what ever is in them is vulnerable. As for are the factory deflectors (or any unit) worth the money, it should be 'mad' money. You would be better off spending your money on other upgrades.

Last edited by GreyWOF; 03-22-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They work great and despite what I read a first gen convertible deflector will work with my '09 second gen convertible.

I bought a new deflector on ebay from a NJ dealer for much less than list. If I remember right it was less than $400.

These deflectors work great. The cabin is much warmer, your hair does not blow forward and the sound level in the cockpit is much lower. I give it three thumbs up. I didn't order one with the car -convinced myself it was not needed - I was wrong.....

Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
♠Don't get me wrong, I like the wind deflectors. They are both mounted all of the time that no one is in the back seat. I tried to get these pictures to scale. The black Moss factory unit is a little higher. The new chrome frame unit with the storage pouches has zippers on the top of the horizontal panel. You can not reach the pouch zipper while driving and pouches are easy for any passing person to get into when you are outside of the car. I think I 'broke the code'. (Mini Cooper listen) The zippers should be on the front panel of the pouches so they could be accessed from inside of the car and less vulnerable when you stop and walk away from the car. I have not done a back to back driving test in the wind to see if the difference in height makes a perceptible difference in comfort.
moss version
little storage pouches with zippers behind the deflector so you can not get to them while inside of the car.

It would make more sense if the zippers was on the forward facing of the pouch shown here.
but I could be wrong....

Last edited by GreyWOF; 03-23-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added text to the pictures
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
ManassasMini
1st Gear
Wind Deflectors

Thanks for the info! I agree would be a lot more user friendly id the zippers were accessible from drivers/passenger seats.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:19 AM
ManassasMini
1st Gear
Great website!

Thanks Bumblemini! This site made all the difference I'm going to get a better product and at less than half the OEM price!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:38 AM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
I used the zippered panels on the OEM wind deflector (see my discussion above) for the first time last night. I had a stack of loose papers that I needed to transport with the top down and the papers were not going to fit in the glove compartment. So my first thought was to sit on them to keep them from blowing out... bad idea for several reasons. Then I realized those zippered panels in the OEM unit are perfect for loose stuff when the top is down and you don't need to access them while traveling. I know that is a stretch, but I did find them useful. That made it worth it (2x the price and I can carry loose papers hmmmmm.).

Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 AM
ManassasMini
1st Gear
On the fence

Grey,

I here you, I just might get the OEM model yet. I really like the Windblox set up but then I noticed on their website all the photos are of first Gens. So I sent them an e-mail to see if they have a model that will fit the 2009 + Cabrios.

I'm at the point now price is a rather small factor, I want to have a screen in place prior to the dragon so my wife can enjoy the ride as much as I do. I must say she has been a trooper thus far but she has mentioned more than once she would like to ditch the pony tail and ball cap once in a while.

Cheers

Old 04-04-2010, 04:29 PM
ManassasMini
1st Gear
Windblox Fitment

Ok, here is the verdict.

The windblox model with the lexan and clear straps that fasten to the rear roll bar and mesh screen that connects between the seats currently will only fit 1st Gen. Cabrios

I e-mailed Tim from Windblox to make sure. I am totally disappointed not only does this model have the best reviews you can get the full setup with lexan clear in the back and the mesh between the seats and if you order them at the same time you can get a smoked lexan block for an additional $79 so for two rear blocks and the mesh you are still under $300 which is still about a 100 less than OEM.

I told Tim when they start making the 2nd Gen models I will be his first order.

Anyway I wound up ordering the mesh screen model from Moss Mini since I have to have something for the ride down to the dragon. After all Happy Wife, Nice Life and Happy Top Down Motoring

Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Keeper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BumbleMini
Manassas:

If you are going to get a windscreen, do yourself a favor and check out windscreenreview.net first to see what people are saying about the different companies out there. I personally bought a windblox windscreen because they had high reviews, were more economical, and work very very well. But in general, I would go with lexan because it is hard ot break and very durable. Just my $.02. Happy shopping!
Do you have leather? I just got the Windblox and I'm not sure I like it. It's set up to press against that front-top of the seats. I can't imagine it not damaging the seats fitted that way. I can get it to fit above the seats but then the bottom strap is too long.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 AM
GreyWOF
1st Gear
never mind

Last edited by GreyWOF; 04-06-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: the question wasn't asked of me
Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Tsippi
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, one warning: I tried driving once with the rear seats folded flat and the factory windscreen installed. At freeway speeds in a stiff breeze, the combination of windscreen+flat rear seats created a very strange wind tunnel effect that destablized the car. It was actually very dangerous -- I had to stop and put the top up.

Now, my story: After ascertaining that none of the after-market windscreens work on the new Cabriots (yet), I ordered my windscreen from Morristown Mini. Even with shipping to Hawaii, it was much less expensive than buying locally, and it came right to my door! My only regret is that I did not buy one three months earlier, when I got my car. Without the windscreen, driving at speed on a freeway is really annoying and messy. With the windscreen, it's a pleasure.