R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 1st convertible - need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:28 AM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st convertible - need some advice!

hey guys,

so i recently just purchased my first convertible (2015 Cooper S convert. W/ JCW package). Love the car, this is my third mini. I want to make sure I’m caring for the convertible top appropriately so it will last. The first owner only put 7,200 miles on the car and I got it as a CPO. I’ve done some research but I’d like to hear from the mini community. Here are my questions:

-I’ve heard regular csrwashes are a big No-no for ragtops. Anyone care to confirm or deny? (additionally, anyone with the JCW kit experience difficulty with ground clearance in car washes?

-How often should repellent be used?

-Are fold marks just part of the deal with owning a soft top? And if so, any recommendations on how to minimize them? (I’ve heard about not folding top down when it is wet - in my ownership of the car this only happened once and it was at the dealer when I bought the car because I wanted to make sure the top was in good working condition. The sales guy didn’t discourage it but the top was wet from being out in the rain)

-I’ve read that Raggtop cleaning and repellent are highly recommended and it seems MINI discontinued their own. Anyone want to add their own recommendation?

-any other tips?

Thanks in advance guys! 👍🏻

Old 04-11-2018, 07:04 AM
wtorres141
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Same here, 1st convertible 2013 MCS... also in Bergen County NJ... picked the car up 6 weeks ago.
i did the research for you... go with the 303 Fabric Guard , the west marine shop on 17 south had a single bottle and i picked it up two weeks ago.
they may have more now, the guy said he would restock; it works very well.

This is the same stuff the sunbrella company recommends for their fabric products, i am getting more eventually for my outdoor sunbrella cushions!

hand card wash only... nothing with those brushes; those hand wash spots don't have those floor mounted devices that move the car along; hand wash only is my suggestion.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:44 AM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wtorres141
Same here, 1st convertible 2013 MCS... also in Bergen County NJ... picked the car up 6 weeks ago.
i did the research for you... go with the 303 Fabric Guard , the west marine shop on 17 south had a single bottle and i picked it up two weeks ago.
they may have more now, the guy said he would restock; it works very well.

This is the same stuff the sunbrella company recommends for their fabric products, i am getting more eventually for my outdoor sunbrella cushions!

hand card wash only... nothing with those brushes; those hand wash spots don't have those floor mounted devices that move the car along; hand wash only is my suggestion.
awesome congrats! Where did u get yours from? I grew up in Bergen county - live in Passaic county now. I prefer to hand wash myself but don’t always have the opportunities. I live in an apartment complex and don’t have access to an exterior hose all the time. I’d have to go back to my parents house but that’s not a huge deal. Do you know of any hand wash places?

Also ive heard of the 303 stuff too. Also raggtop brand came in highly recommended. I think I’ll give that a try.

Any thoughts on the fold marks?

Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 AM
wtorres141
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I purchased mine from a dealer in Brooklyn... not familiar enough with hand-wash centers in Passaic.
no advice on the fold marks, mine lightened up a bit, but they are still there after a wash, dry, vacuum and spray protect... lighter, but most still exist.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
My 1st two cars back in the '60s were English roadsters followed by several years of 'family' cars and now back to the fun stuff. You're both spot on. 303 or RaggTopp are both highly recommended. Best advice for car wash is hand wash only. MINIs and drive thru car washes of any kind don't get along. The canvas will take on wear marks, there's nothing you can do to prevent it short of never running it down. Somewhere on the forum is an old thread, a pi$$ing contest if you will, about who has driven topless in the coldest weather. People questioned my sanity at 22° bright and sunny.
My top goes up for only 4 reasons.
1: It is raining
2: It is snowing
3: I can't hear the SC whine (of course you don't have the SC)over my co-pilot's whining because she's too hot or too cold.
4: A bunch of drunks are throwing empty beer cans in the back seat and didn't invite me.
Congratulations to you both on your choices. Topless motoring IS motoring at its best.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
This is my 6th drop top. As the MINI's top is more "cloth" like than "vinyl" I use Raggtopp. If it was more vinyl like I would use a 303 vinyl product.

The only thing better than doing a twistie run with a MINI is doing it with a droptop MINI (with a Schroth harness). Fold marks, keep the top clean and don't drop it when its wet as it will dry off quite quickly if you are driving.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 04-11-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling errors, must be the cold medicine
Old 04-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Snydermann
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I've always owned a convertible, more than I can count and I have been driving since the 1980s.

The single best thing you can do for a convertible is keep it in a garage, or at least under cover when not in use. The difference in longevity of convertible tops I have kept in a garage vs those stored in the elements were vast and measurable. No comparison.

I always store the car with the top up and I never open the top when wet.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
have had a rag top in the garage for most of the last 40 years beginning with a 66 Mustang 'vert, to VW Rabbit, to Miatas and now an R-59

303 is very good and was one of 2 products recommended by Mazda for Miata. I used it for a time on the top but eventually changed to Zymol ... my Miata tops were vinyl ... MINI top is mostly cloth. I've been using Raggtop on the MINI

Dropping the top when wet is not a cardinal sin so long as it is for a short time ... you don't want it to sit folded when wet as this invites mold and mildew .... BAD. To drop for a ride then put back up is OK .. altho I tend to avoid.

For folks who drop when it is COLD .... altho the top is canvas there are a bunch of plastic parts in the system and these will be brittle when COLD and therefore cracks are much more possible. My R59 top has already been replaced due to the 'rain drip rail' over the door cracking but this was due to excessive heat/sun exposure not cold .... after all the hassle with the top replacement (had to be done twice to get it right) I'd avoid at all costs.

Agree with all said about automatic car washes ... not a fan esp'ly for a ragtop. Another point is that by nature the window seals are not going to be as tight around the glass as in a hardtop - esp'ly as the top ages and 'loosens' .... those high pressure water jets are gonna get 'in' more easily so be careful even if using a pressure washer or fancy high velocity hose nozzle of any type ....

Old 04-12-2018, 04:07 AM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
RaggTopp as well. Autogeek, located in Stuart, FL. has decent sales every now and then for 25% off and it’s a good chance to load up on RaggTopp that you know you’re going to be using. Re-spay every 6 months and the top is like new.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:30 AM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
Thanks for all the responses guys this info has been very helpful. Did some more scouring of the forums and it was encouraging to hear that some people have had their tops last quite a long time.

Yesterday as my car was parked inmy work lot, the landscape crew came through and blew a whole bunch of $h!t all over and a lot got on my top. Most blew off as I drove away but once I got home I used a 100% horsehair brush to see if I could sweep more of it off. I’ve read that soft bristle brushes are a good tool to have for cleaning the tops and even Raggtopp comes with one. Couldn’t help but think though wouldn’t that be bad for the fabric? Grinding dust and dirt further into it? Thoughts?

also, anyone know if the top is covered under the original factory warranty? My car is still under warranty until next year then the CPO one kicks in. Tried researching online but couldn’t find a straight answer

Old 04-12-2018, 04:41 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
warranty is 'bumper to bumper' ..... my top has already been replaced under the warranty ... yes it is covered

dunno about cpo

caution tho - IME the dealer/service is not particularly experience wrt the top as compared to speciality shops that do this type work. My warranty replacement took two tries to get it right - first try was a mess that they tried to pass off to me. (I never asked for the replacement, dealer said they were doing a small repair and when I picked up the car there was a new top, installed badly. I was/am not a completely happy camper as I told the dealer I do NOT want a new top, don't mess with this unless you can do a repair - do not replace. Actual issue was cosmetic IMO and I did not even bring it up. Service noticed and said they could repair at no cost......)

Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I'm sure you have a shop vac. I use the upholstery brush on the canvas when it picks up fine dust and debris. You will also find that a California duster is nice to have especially for removing dust from it's little butt. The aerodynamics creates a vacuum causing all sorts of foul things to attach themselves back there.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I do mine with the protectant stuff like twice a year and i am on my second top at almost ~ 280K miles. Make sure the top is really clean and apply. watch the rear glass and the body of the car as you can get overspray on those.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Shiner
2nd Gear
A little mini vac is helpful to keep in the back. $32 sweeper off of Amazon. I have a bikini top that I have just for the convertible top and keeping all of the stuff that you talked about....off. Less than a minute to put on. Get that can of RaggTop sprayed on the top and you’ll sleep easier at night.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:21 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
My first ver too... glad you created this thread! I'm going to buy some RaggTop tonight.

What are you guys putting on your leather seats? I need to get something on them.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
What are you guys putting on your leather seats? I need to get something on them.
Don't have leather on my MINI but my Stressless recliner is leather and I use Meguiar's Gold Class 'Rich Leather'. Get it at most auto supply shops.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Shiner
2nd Gear
This will sound nuts but I’ve had bmw Z3s for a number of years all with leather upholstery. A few years back the service manager at the bmw store in Cincy noticed how I was very meticulous with the upkeep of my cars and asked me if I had heard of using a diluted solution of Woolite clothes cleaner. He brought out a spray bottle with this mystery fluid in it and let me use it along with a supply of microfiber towels. Yes, it did get the funk out of a seat that I was going to go home and work on. Very gentle on seats that are 20 years old. Just sprayed it on and agitated it with a detail brush and did an exceptional job. About a 4 to 1 solution worked wonders. If your wife has some laying around, mix it in a spray bottle and if it works that’s great....if you think it’s ridulous then you didn’t hear it from me.