R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 R57: Things you may not have known

Old 08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Zipimini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure how to post a pic, but I have a couple of the new bike rack on the R57....can someone help me out???

Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Zipimini
2nd Gear
Here's the pic of the bike rack on the R57....(figured out how to post..i think)

So far it seems to work great. Mainly mountain bikes on her(29er & 26), so size doesn't matter. ;-)

Enjoy!
Shelley

Attached Thumbnails R57: Things you may not have known-bikerack.jpg   R57: Things you may not have known-bikerack2.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM
swooshmac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zipimini
Here's the pic of the bike rack on the R57....(figured out how to post..i think)

So far it seems to work great. Mainly mountain bikes on her(29er & 26), so size doesn't matter. ;-)

Enjoy!
Shelley
Hey Zipimini,

how is the bike rack holding on to the Mini? i don't see any straps or anything? thanks.

swoosh

Old 08-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Zipimini
2nd Gear
Hey Swoosh,

You're right....no straps. It's a platform bike rack. There is a bracket that mounts underneath the car to the frame. There are two holes cut out in the bumper to accomodate this. The rack fits securely into the holes and onto the bracket.

Zipi

Old 08-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a picture of the car without the rack attached? (Aka - How noticeable are the holes)

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 AM
swooshmac
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Zipimini
Hey Swoosh,

You're right....no straps. It's a platform bike rack. There is a bracket that mounts underneath the car to the frame. There are two holes cut out in the bumper to accomodate this. The rack fits securely into the holes and onto the bracket.

Zipi
ahh.. ok Zipimini... thanks for the info. i guess that won't work for me as i change my car every 2 yrs and don't think the dealer would like that through the bumper for me. i guess for now.. the bike will have to try and fit inside the car. thanks again

Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by swooshmac
ahh.. ok Zipimini... thanks for the info. i guess that won't work for me as i change my car every 2 yrs and don't think the dealer would like that through the bumper for me. i guess for now.. the bike will have to try and fit inside the car. thanks again
It is a dealer installed thing. So that may help your trade in, as you have added value to the car.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 AM
swooshmac
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
It is a dealer installed thing. So that may help your trade in, as you have added value to the car.
you are right that it is dealer installed...for $1300!!! too much for 2 yrs worth to me.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by swooshmac
you are right that it is dealer installed...for $1300!!! too much for 2 yrs worth to me.
Keep the car longer. It is a MINI after all, you won't be finding anything better.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 AM
swooshmac
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Keep the car longer. It is a MINI after all, you won't be finding anything better.
hahah , true it is a MINI after all... but i want to go back to my 2008 Porsche..which i miss. the Mini was something to hold me over till I get my Porsche back but the Mini is a great substitute..

Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM
carverbaby
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Derepente
Isn't it like the 2009 models?... it's on the left inside edge of the boot. As you open the boot, put your hand just left of center along the inside near wall of the boot. It will look like a big button, that is the plastic cap/plug they put to protect from shorting the circuit. It's there in case you got the MINI cooler bag which plugs into it...or for any other 12volt accessory you need to plug in ...say perhaps the tire inflation pump when you switch to non-runflats. Don't mean to patronize, but it did escape me for a few months until I really needed to find a place for my daughter's toy to recharge.
is this only on select 2009 models? i've read about it before so after seeing so many people find it on this thread, i went out and searched and searched again and again but i just don't see one in mine?? there is a small plastic button, but it's too small to be an outlet (plus there's a matching one on the right side of the boot) i keep holding out hope that i do have one, but i just can't find one. it would be handy for plugging in the air pump to inflate my tires when they're low...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd like to see what you see. I hadn't heard that the 2010 models of the R57 had the rear 12volt plug removed. Is going to the dealer a possibility? Seriously, ask them to show you where it is. I have done that and either the service department or the sales rep has been able to help.
When I get the chance I will photograph the inside back of my Mini so you can see the exact location of the outlet. It might be overkill to do so, but...just trying to eliminate any confusion.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM
JMH
1st Gear
Need Feedback

I have a choice to make and would some input. I had a 2005 MCSC and loved it. I had to put him down after and accident, and now shopping. I have an option on a 2006 MCSC with only 13K on it and is in like new condition. I also am considering a new 2010 MCSC. For those of you that had an R55 MCSC and now have a R57 MCSC please give me some feedback.

Last edited by Jeremy1026; 08-27-2010 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Corrected model numbers
Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 PM
carverbaby
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Derepente
I'd like to see what you see. I hadn't heard that the 2010 models of the R57 had the rear 12volt plug removed. Is going to the dealer a possibility? Seriously, ask them to show you where it is. I have done that and either the service department or the sales rep has been able to help.
When I get the chance I will photograph the inside back of my Mini so you can see the exact location of the outlet. It might be overkill to do so, but...just trying to eliminate any confusion.
i havne't been able to snap a picture yet, but i just happened to be at the dealer today (valve stem on a brand new replacement tire was leaking) and i asked and the service advisor had no idea, he asked the tech who mumbled something that he'd seen them before covered by a plastic cap. we happened to be behind an 09 (or 10? it had the pop up roll bars) JCW convertible so he popped the trunk on that one and we looked, but didn't see one in there either... i've felt all around in mine and i'm either an idiot or mine just doesn't have one

Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
SunnySkies
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by carverbaby
we happened to be behind an 09 (or 10? it had the pop up roll bars) JCW convertible so he popped the trunk on that one and we looked, but didn't see one in there either... i've felt all around in mine and i'm either an idiot or mine just doesn't have one

Carverbaby, I have a 2010 and it DOES have one. Open your boot's tailgate, it's to the left, below the tailgate hinge. You'll feel the plug.

Post Edit:
I added a picture (sorry it's a crappy iPhone photo!), this is what it looks like right under and below the tailgate hinge. Maybe the photo will guide you in finding the elusive 2nd plug! I hope this helps.

Name:  Picture4-1-1.png
Views: 86
Size:  416.6 KB

Last edited by SunnySkies; 08-26-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 PM
carverbaby
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SunnySkies
Carverbaby, I have a 2010 and it DOES have one. Open your boot's tailgate, it's to the left, below the tailgate hinge. You'll feel the plug.

Post Edit:
I added a picture (sorry it's a crappy iPhone photo!), this is what it looks like right under and below the tailgate hinge. Maybe the photo will guide you in finding the elusive 2nd plug! I hope this helps.

i found it!! thanks so much for the picture. i was looking in the wrong area maybe i can hook up a subwoofer there too

Old 08-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Glad you found it. About the subwoofer, there is a thread on custom and aftermarket ones that fit into that space of the floor of the boot. Cheers

Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 PM
SunnySkies
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by carverbaby
i found it!! thanks so much for the picture. i was looking in the wrong area maybe i can hook up a subwoofer there too
Yay! I'm glad it helped! Happy powerin' and subwooferin'! My dealer didn't have a clue about it either, it really rankles me how little some of these MA's truly know about the cars they sell. I found mine thanks to Derepente & Patyacht in this thread; Keep it goin' guys, I'm learning a lot from everyone.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Different Wire Colors before and after harness

I did a search for "wire color" and didn't get any results on this thread so here goes:

Sometimes after a harness or wire adapter connection, the MINI/BMW will use a different wire color for the same wire. I had come confusion doing the 3rd brake PULSAR light mod. The wires coming from the soft top back end were consistent for the defroster but the thin black/yellow wire (which is the power wire for the 3rd brake light) becomes a purple wire after the harness connection. I have pictures of that here.

It's the Pulsar light mod thread in the 09 Cabrio section. Cool mod though...with the new fogs as running lights and brake lights, the total braking lights is now 5 (with a flashing effect on the horizontal light) instead of the standard 3. With the traffic in DC, I needed that. I can tell people do tend to give me some more room when following me now.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
I have a 2010 MC Conertable, automatic. I also had a 2009 MC automatic and both had the Hill Assist.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Frenchy2004
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Oxybluecoop
The button above the drivers window switch is for the heated windshield and the button between the sport and DSC is for the auto engine shutoff at stop both not offered here in the states.
Originally Posted by zanary
Thanks for the information. I was wondering what could go there becusae there wasn't any other factory options I could have picked...

It's a shame they don't offer those two items in the US, but I don't know how useful they would be.
The "auto engine shutoff" is actually called "Autostart." Autostart is amazing. When you pull up to a stoplight at a big intersection you know you may be there a while. So you put your MC in neutral and left off the clutch. Then the engine cuts off, all accessories stay active, to conserve gas. When the light turns green you press the clutch the engine starts and you drive away. It also monitors the battery so if you are stopped at a light and the engine is off and the battery starts getting low it will start the engine to keep you going. This option is all over European model cars from Ford to Audi. But for some reason they won’t put it on American Spec cars, as far as I have seen at this time anyways. It’s kind of like diesels. MINI needs to get the diesel launched in the States.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
fayettedawg
1st Gear
Able to play Pandora through stereo

I have a 2009 R57 that I just purchased and it has the USB/Bluetooth option. I just found out that you can play Pandora radio through my Iphone connected to the stereo through the USB/Aux cable. You just have to start Pandora first and then connect it. It allows you to advance (skip) songs with the steering wheel controls and it displays artist and song titles on the stereo display just like when I play music through my Ipod. Also, the Pandora app is still displayed on my phone as it plays so you can "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" songs. Pretty cool!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fayettedawg
I have a 2009 R57 that I just purchased and it has the USB/Bluetooth option. I just found out that you can play Pandora radio through my Iphone connected to the stereo through the USB/Aux cable. You just have to start Pandora first and then connect it. It allows you to advance (skip) songs with the steering wheel controls and it displays artist and song titles on the stereo display just like when I play music through my Ipod. Also, the Pandora app is still displayed on my phone as it plays so you can "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" songs. Pretty cool!
You can also play sticher the same way. Sticher is for talk radio shows and news. It "stiches" several sources together, so you can have say... Your weather, then CNN, then NPR, then the crop report, or what ever one right after another because you stitched the programs together.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Two other elusive things I found. To get your headlights to stay on for x minutes after you turn off your car, you have to set the settings to x minutes (you pick) then switch your lights to the 0 position not auto. Have your car turned off and the raido stuff off, THEN hit the high beam "flash" switch. The headlights will stay on x minutes while you walk up your drive.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
speed limit to close sun roof

Noticed that the sun roof will not close above 75 miles per hour. ;-) once i slowed to that speed I was able to close the roof. Good to know if it rains while cruising. Cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R57 R57: Things you may not have known