R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 drivers on the center stack design

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:26 PM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 drivers on the center stack design

I thought it was time to revisit the center stack. I've lived 1200 miles with the new center console design and I feel like I can speak about it from experience now. There was much teeth gnashing over the design of the center stack when the images of the R56 went public. Some people hated the way it looked or just hated the change, others felt the function or ergonomics were poor. In short I've found it to be a non issue, but it remains different from other cars and there is something to talk about no doubt.

The two main parts of the Center Stack are the radio/OBC interface, and the HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) controls. I've never had a problem with the overall design. I find the design and Mini logo shapes fun and in the spirit of the Mini. I never located the "acres of plastic" that some complained about. Where exactly was that anyway - somewhere in Idaho?

radio/OBC and their controls:

Part of the situation here is the radio is no longer an independent appliance that fits in a DIN slot. The radio is integrated into the cars electronics package and shares the display with the OBC. Essentially the same thing is going on with the NAV cars but the basic radio/OBC display is smaller and simpler. I understand the woes of people who want a better radio, and it seems the road to that will be the DIN slot hiding in the dash storage compartment. But for me, the basic radio is well and good.

The biggest issue here for me is the control of the functions of the radio and the OBC and the menu system. Root items have some small icons, branches of the menu structure have word or abbreviation labels. As you get deeper into the menus using an mp3 disc for instance you have a mix of words, arrows, and abbreviations in the same menu line. Could it be better? I think so. I think the designers of this could use to spend some time with an iPod to get a handle on a simple interface for a wide array of functions. Do I prefer it to my old car's Sony unit with 25 buttons that had one function each? Yup - I'll take the Mini's integrated radio any day. I think the MFSW would go a long way to alleviate trips to the radio interface, so I have the MFSW foul-up to thank for being forced to interact with it.

One of the biggest pre-hands-on complaints about the radio was the loner volume control down under the cd slot. While its undeniably odd when we are all accustomed to everything related to the radio being stuffed into the same few square inches, I must say I got over it rapidly. Given all that is going on up at the display with station tuning, track hopping, and OBC menus, it ends up making complete sense that there is one clear go to place for on/off and volume. I'm over it. This works for me.

One thing that remains odd to me is that some functions are still handled via the Tach display and the stalk button - setting various preferences for the operation of the car is still done at the tach display. I'm not sure why this all was not moved to the center OBC control, leaving the stalk to simply control your tach display options. I think this is a concession to "how its been done before" which is no big deal.

HVAC controls:

Every car I've ever had used a series of dials and levers to control HVAC and I was skeptical when I saw this layout. Not because of the buttons - these seemed straight forward, and it was nice to have the defrost button with these - all my other cars for some reason had the rear defrost somewhere else on the dash. But in place of the usual dials or levers there were these two wheels. The wheels in the vertical orientation looked like they would be difficult to operate. There was nothing to grab and I imagined trying to turn these would take some effort with my thumb or forefinger. Well the reason I expected trouble is with all my other cars these levers and dials were hard to turn. They were connected to push rods, or cables that opened ducts or dampers - the darn things took some force and effort to use. Well, that just turns out to be a non issue. Just like all the momentary switch gear for all the other functions in the car these controls simply send signals to the computer which activates motorized dampers to carry out your commands. Its effortless to turn these controls and a quick spin of the wheel can take you the entire range of the control. They are easy to work and the arrangement is clear and logical. I was worried for naught.

So what's your experience after driving your R56 for a few hundred or a few thousand miles?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great comments lava. I completely agree with you. The few things I thought might bother me have become non-issues. The one thing that bothered me the most was the turn signal. I found its functionality odd and very annoying. Ive managed to adapt to it and dont even notice it any more. Otherwise, there is only one small nagging issue. Having to push a sport button whenever I turn the car on is a bummer. Personally, I think it should operate the opposite way. Always on until you dont want it, then you can turn it off.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
The new center stack is narrower than before. I've read complaints from R50/53 drivers that having your right leg constantly rubbing against it on long drives can be a real irritant. I can very definitely identify with this. It was a complaint many of us had with Audi's new A4 interior design in 2002. I drove back and forth to California often in that car and grew to hate that center stack with a passion. I, for one, very much appreciate the current R56 center stack redesign (and have had no problem whatsoever about layout of controls now that I'm used to them).

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 04-07-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
METALHD
1st Gear
Being an owner of an '05 MCC and an '07 MCS, it's easy for me to compare. I have gotten real used to the new style, and can go back and forth between the two easily.

I like the radio interface, though I will probably be upgrading speakers soon.

Best things about the new design: the increased leg room and the ability to actually put a drink in the drink holders (getting them out with the rubber grabbers is a different story ).

I like the old HVAC interface better, though.

METALHD
'07 DS/B MCS - All Pkgs and JCW carbon fibre bling
'05 BRG/B MC Cabrio

Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I've gotten used to the "MINI-drive" radio/OBC interface, and rather enjoy it. The toggle switches lack the short-throw clickable feedback of the R53 in exchange for a more damped and more expensive feel, so that's a toss-up for me. My least favorite design aspect of the center stack is the HVAC fan and temp dials; they're not very ergonomic. No matter how I try moving my hand and fingers about the area I can't easily or confidently move the dials.

That's about it, it's pretty close to kick-butt.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:59 AM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
The one thing that bothered me the most when I test drove the R56 was the way the turn signal works.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:17 AM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MI MINI S
The one thing that bothered me the most when I test drove the R56 was the way the turn signal works.
That bothered me on my first test drive, but I became completely used to it somewhere between then and my second test drive. Not sure how, but I'll take it.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Peef
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JohnnyF
That bothered me on my first test drive, but I became completely used to it somewhere between then and my second test drive. Not sure how, but I'll take it.
I second that. I have forgotten it's "different". Wish I could say the same about the radio controls, though. They could stand to be a bit more intuitive, though it's not a showstopper.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
My r56 has been in the shop now for four days... still awaiting a fix on the transmission issue and the non-functioning xenon washers -

However, it was weird getting into the R53 MCSa that Towson graciously provided - things I noticed:

1. The switchgear on the R56 is much better quality - feels more substantial.
2. The speedo is HUGE and the R53s speedo looks well so much smaller!
3. I do miss the electronically controlled turn indicators - it's actually a feature I quite like!
4. You forget how LOUD an R53 is when you're in it - that said - it's nice to hear the supercharger again.
5. Those dang seats in the R53 make my back ache - I'm jonesing for my car again and my nice comfy R56 cloth seats.