R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chili_red07
Between that and the exhaust tips on the S its just not safe accessing the boot in a MINI
Not to mention how dirty you'll get touching the boot-handle

Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 AM
wdavidhicks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Wow--that's an awfully long time
I could have had a 2007 at the end of last summer but I really wanted an 08.

Has anybody noticed the distinct similarities between the hubs on the needles of the analog tach and speedo -and - the chrome gas cap cover?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Well I do now, interesting design follow-through.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:02 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Obssecive?

Is i obsesive to have the "ASK MINI" phone number on speed dial and to have my production number memorized? Mine just finished production and is sitting at the port waiting for transport.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 AM
RR Hounds
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Is i obsesive to have the "ASK MINI" phone number on speed dial and to have my production number memorized? Mine just finished production and is sitting at the port waiting for transport.
I had my VIN # memorized from the number of times I accessed the WW site to track it.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Just so you know it does work without having to keep the clutch down the whole time...you can turn the car off and take out the fog without touching the clutch...the only time it must be pressed is when you are ready to start it up
Ah, okay. My left leg was getting tired from holding down the clutch pedal. Have you tried to see what the time limit is?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
LUCK219
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RR Hounds
I had my VIN # memorized from the number of times I accessed the WW site to track it.
Me too! People think i'm crazy!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 AM
LUCK219
5th Gear
But I think they meant you could use the little software bug to do it...

If you start you car with the key in, then shut it down (make sure you dont open the doors or it wont work) then you eject the key and I'm guessing within 30 sec of shut down push the clutch in and push the start button and it should start up without the key in...now you can open the door, close it, and press the lock button and your engine is running and you have now saved some money by not getting the convenience package haha
Mine works! I can start the MINI, turn it off and take key fob out and restart without putting key back in slot. =) =) I have a manual 08 MCS.

Very cool! =)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Steering wheel lock?

Are you sure it doesn't lock? I have the new style fob key, too, but if I turn the wheel a little right or left, it locks.
Originally Posted by russr
I can confirm that it DOESN'T work.
I just read the Indicator and Warning Lamps section in the manual, There's a mentioning of the steering wheel lock: When an icon of a padlock on a steering wheel shows up in the little display in the tachometer, the cause is either "Electric Steering wheel lock malfunctioning" or "Electric steering wheel lock engaged." So it appears that there should be a steering wheel lock function.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
LUCK219
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rippymcs
I just read the Indicator and Warning Lamps section in the manual, There's a mentioning of the steering wheel lock: When an icon of a padlock on a steering wheel shows up in the little display in the tachometer, the cause is either "Electric Steering wheel lock malfunctioning" or "Electric steering wheel lock engaged." So it appears that there should be a steering wheel lock function.
Ugh, i forgot to check on this. When i get home i definitely will.

I love finding out all this new stuff about my new Zoe!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:08 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The steering lock was removed during the last half of the 2007 models.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 PM
LUCK219
5th Gear
I just checked when i got home. My 08 MCS definitely doesn't lock.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:45 PM
ringwurm
Neutral
Use mini fuse #32 if you want to tap into the electrical that switches on/off with the ignition.

For ground there is an easy screw to use on the right front of the passenger front seat mount. You can easily run the ground wire along he door sill to the fuse box if needed.

I have also discovered that 4 yr olds think mini's are "cute". lol I'm working hard to change that cute to cool.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Black&Gold
2nd Gear
In keeping with "things you might not know"... That MINI will not fit the '08 one-touch up power window feature into your '07?
They also have no plans of making it happen either.
This according to both the service department at my dealer AND the MINI USA web page customer rep.
Makes me wonder what other updates in coming years won't be available for current year models. Kind of kills resale value too!
Not much chance of an aftermarket "cure" either if the needs are only one year specific.
The service guy told me of similar issues with retrofitting cruise control as well. Not so simple to add /change stereo stuff either. And did you notice the big yellow sticker warning you that an aftermarket theft alarm would void your warranty?
Silly things that weren't done at the beginning, like adjustable intermittent wipers, allowing the car to beep when you lock it, and I'm sure many more things listed somewhere in this LONG thread. I'll bet you most of them come into the car in upcoming years AND will not be retrofittable (new word!) to current model years.
Because they don't want you to. They want to sell you a new car with the added touches and give you less for yours because it doesn't have them and can't get them!
Other than that, I really like the car!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:14 PM
DoubleOh7
2nd Gear
rippymcs - Cool Badge!!!!!

That's a pretty cool laser blue owner's badge!! First time I've seen it? You mind if I replace my British version with your US version?? No offense to the British, I still appreciate the heritage of my car!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black&Gold
In keeping with "things you might not know"... That MINI will not fit the '08 one-touch up power window feature into your '07?
They also have no plans of making it happen either.
This according to both the service department at my dealer AND the MINI USA web page customer rep.
Makes me wonder what other updates in coming years won't be available for current year models. Kind of kills resale value too!
Not much chance of an aftermarket "cure" either if the needs are only one year specific.
The service guy told me of similar issues with retrofitting cruise control as well. Not so simple to add /change stereo stuff either. And did you notice the big yellow sticker warning you that an aftermarket theft alarm would void your warranty?
Silly things that weren't done at the beginning, like adjustable intermittent wipers, allowing the car to beep when you lock it, and I'm sure many more things listed somewhere in this LONG thread. I'll bet you most of them come into the car in upcoming years AND will not be retrofittable (new word!) to current model years.
Because they don't want you to. They want to sell you a new car with the added touches and give you less for yours because it doesn't have them and can't get them!
Other than that, I really like the car!
PLEASE tell me you didn't buy a car worrying about resale value because it doesn't have auto-up! And that you want to annoy the rest of the world by beeping your horn when you lock the car?

Life will go on. If not, get a Buick.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wdavidhicks
I could have had a 2007 at the end of last summer but I really wanted an 08.

Has anybody noticed the distinct similarities between the hubs on the needles of the analog tach and speedo -and - the chrome gas cap cover?
Do you have any pics? I would like to see what you mean...i dont have the 08, but I'm curious

Originally Posted by callahan00
Obsessive isn't a word to the MINI owner...yes we all get called that by non-owners, but what they don't see is that we are simply caring
Hey I had my VIN memorized the second it began production...I even went in to my insurance company to change my plan over to the MINI and they gave a odd look when I recited the VIN by heart haha

Originally Posted by RR Hounds
Same here Those were the good ole days

Ah, okay. My left leg was getting tired from holding down the clutch pedal. Have you tried to see what the time limit is?
No, I need to find out tho...I would think it runs probably the same as the radio and all the other electronics that will stay on after the first 15 min of shut down with no doors opened...we will all have to do some experiments

Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
No, I need to find out tho...I would think it runs probably the same as the radio and all the other electronics that will stay on after the first 15 min of shut down with no doors opened...we will all have to do some experiments
All this so you can lock the door of a idling car? Man, I've got some chores for you to do!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
All this so you can lock the door of a idling car? Man, I've got some chores for you to do! And you live in such a lovely part of the country that I'd be MOTORING instead!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All this so you can lock the door of a idling car? Man, I've got some chores for you to do!
haha well it's also nice to use to show off the car...say ur driving and people are like cool push to start...be like I don't even need the key and pop it out and start back up kinda useless but I like to know everything possible that the car can do

Old 03-29-2008, 05:12 AM
claysin3
2nd Gear
Didn't know the car would be so beautiful!

Week and a Half old!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:44 AM
dmeadow
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjtull
Not to mention how dirty you'll get touching the boot-handle
There is a solution for this, too! At least when closing the boot, if not opening. There are two handles molded into the inside panel of the boot. You can reach up and pull down on them with sufficient force to close the boot without touching the dirty outside.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Laser Blue Badge

Originally Posted by DoubleOh7
That's a pretty cool laser blue owner's badge!! First time I've seen it? You mind if I replace my British version with your US version?? No offense to the British, I still appreciate the heritage of my car!
Thanks! I don't have the text in the ring though. I've uploaded the original to my gallery, so you can grab it there and add text to it if you like.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
All this so you can lock the door of a idling car? Man, I've got some chores for you to do! And you live in such a lovely part of the country that I'd be MOTORING instead!
Oh I would be the last person to leave the engine running, locked doors or not. I just like to find those unofficial features, aka easter eggs.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:40 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by claysin3
Week and a Half old!

Awww--what a cute baby! Is s/he sleeping through the night yet?

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI