R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you use a "Non MINI Approved" bluetooth phone with the R56, you run the risk of corrupting the Bluetooth module, making it inoperable.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:02 AM
soul embrace
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sensor
ANyone noticed a small vent in the glove compartment box? What is this for?
it's an AC vent to cool the glove box

Old 08-11-2007, 05:46 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Coffeeman
If you use a "Non MINI Approved" bluetooth phone with the R56, you run the risk of corrupting the Bluetooth module, making it inoperable.
Thats the funniest thing I've read all morning. Is that what your service department actually told you??

Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by soul embrace
it's an AC vent to cool the glove box
or heat it.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sensor
ANyone noticed a small vent in the glove compartment box? What is this for?
It is for ventilating the glove compartment. I guess they don't want it to get moldy in there.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Where did you hear that? When you drop zingers like that you really need to provide the source.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
It is for ventilating the glove compartment. I guess they don't want it to get moldy in there.
No, it's meant to keep drinks cold on the drive home. During cold weather, it can be used to keep the Chinese takeout warm, as well. I've also heard of people using the heated passenger seat for the same purpose during all seasons.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
No, it's meant to keep drinks cold on the drive home. During cold weather, it can be used to keep the Chinese takeout warm, as well. I've also heard of people using the heated passenger seat for the same purpose during all seasons.
Ah, pizza seat. I knew there was a reason for getting heated seats in California.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by manifest
Thats the funniest thing I've read all morning. Is that what your service department actually told you??
I agree, that is hilarious . Bluetooth is a standard for wireless communication such as TCP/IP is a standard for network traffic. Any bluetooth phone will work in a Mini and will not cause issues. There are really only two questions about bluetooth and a Mini:

1. Unless you have a phone that has an adapter for the armrest you cannot use the built in docking to charge the phone and use the external antenna (instead of the built in antenna on the phone).

2. Your bluetooth phone may have some features disabled by your carrier thus not allowing it to transfer it's phone book to your Mini. If this is the case, it is not a problem with the bluetooth on the Mini. It is your service provider restricting the bluetooth capabilities of your phone. Many providers disable features so you have to purchase their software of pay a monthly fee to use services that are built into bluetooth such as file transferring.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Ah, pizza seat. I knew there was a reason for getting heated seats in California.
I've evidently been wasting that feature all summer. I only got to use the heat function on the seats a couple of times in April after I got my car. Didn't really need to then, either, but I had to try it out.

That was minicounter who clued me into using the seat to keep food hot.

Last edited by Sowellman; 08-11-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Where did you hear that? When you drop zingers like that you really need to provide the source.
My bluetooth setup worked fine for 3 months, then suddenly stopped pairing. The dealer filed a PUMA case with MINI. The response feom MINI was that my phone, a Treo 755p, sends the phonebook to the car every time it pairs. Most Bluetooth phones do this, as well. The MINI's Bluetooth ULF module does not discard the phone book when the car is shut off, unlike BMW's, and all other cars that I am aware of. Because of this, after repeated phone book re-loads, the MINI's ULF memory gets full of all the phonebook entries, and locks up. Resetting it does no good, it is toast at this point. Totally corrupted.

This insane phonebook scheme that MINI uses makes no sense, and really makes me wonder if any of the ex employees of Lucas Electric are now working at MINI. This is going to cause a lot of problems for MINI USA...More on that later.

Last edited by Coffeeman; 08-13-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:03 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
My bluetooth setup worked fine for 3 months, then suddenly stopped pairing. The dealer filed a PUMA case with MINI. The response feom MINI was that my phone, a Treo 755p, sends the phonebook to the car every time it pairs. Most Bluetooth phones so this, as well. The MINI's Bluetooth ULF module does not discard the phone book when the car is shut off, unlike BMW's, and all other cars that I am aware of. Because of this, after repeated phone book re-loads, the MINI's ULF memory gets full of all the phonebook entries, and locks up. Resetting it does no good, it is toast at this point. Totally corrupted.

This insane phonebook scheme that MINI uses makes no sense, and really makes me wonder if any of the ex employees of Lucas Electric are now working at MINI. This is going to cause a lot of problems for MINI USA...More on that later.
That sounds like a poor design for the ULF module, every phone will send the phone book entry each time in order to sync it up. The Mini should either overwrite the previous entries or discard them and start from scratch each time. I'm sure it won't be long before they redesign the module to fix it. Otherwise they will be replacing a lot of modules under the warranty.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
My bluetooth setup worked fine for 3 months, then suddenly stopped pairing. The dealer filed a PUMA case with MINI. The response feom MINI was that my phone, a Treo 755p, sends the phonebook to the car every time it pairs. Most Bluetooth phones so this, as well. The MINI's Bluetooth ULF module does not discard the phone book when the car is shut off, unlike BMW's, and all other cars that I am aware of. Because of this, after repeated phone book re-loads, the MINI's ULF memory gets full of all the phonebook entries, and locks up. Resetting it does no good, it is toast at this point. Totally corrupted.

Are there phones that don't send the phone book everytime they pair? Sounds to me like a bug in the MINI software, rather than a phone incompatibility. Syncing the type of database in a phone is pretty basic stuff. Are they using a high school student to writer their software? No, wait. A high school student could probably handle it. They are probably using some old guy who is using punch cards, or paper tape.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
They are probably using some old guy who is using punch cards, or paper tape.
Does that explain why I keep finding chads on the passenger side floor?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Does that explain why I keep finding chads on the passenger side floor?
Either that, or your car has been to Florida.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Are there phones that don't send the phone book everytime they pair? Sounds to me like a bug in the MINI software, rather than a phone incompatibility. Syncing the type of database in a phone is pretty basic stuff. Are they using a high school student to writer their software? No, wait. A high school student could probably handle it. They are probably using some old guy who is using punch cards, or paper tape.
It appears that there are 8 phones that do not send the phone book every time.....the phones that are on the mysterious "MINI approved" bluetooth list. Most Bluetooth deployments have the ULF either ignore duplicate phone book transfers, or in the case of Lexus Denso system, require a manual initial "push" via OPP or OBEX of the phone book. The MINI on the other hand, keeps the phonebook forever. Even if a phone is deleted, the phone book is still there. So, if you get a new phone every year, and your phone(s) are not on the "approved" list, there may come a time when the ULF's memory fills up, toasting your ULF module.

A similar problem occurred in early BMW ULF modules with BMW assist. The end result was the same...fried Bluetooth module. In my 35 years of driving BMW's, I've always chalked up BMW's poor electronics expertise to their reluctance to letting the Japanese design their gear. This latest Bluetooth fiasco, however, takes the cake.

I was responsible for initiating the successful class action suit against Verizon for their V710 Bluetooth non-disclosure of OPP & OBEX profile disabling, and I am gathering information on MINI's non-disclosure of their flawed Bluetooth implementation...

Last edited by Coffeeman; 08-13-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
It appears that there are 8 phones that do not send the phone book every time.....the phones that are on the mysterious "MINI approved" bluetooth list. Most Bluetooth deployments have the ULF either ignore duplicate phone book transfers, or in the case of Lexus Denso system, require a manual initial "push" via OPP or OBEX of the phone book. The MINI on the other hand, keeps the phonebook forever. Even if a phone is deleted, the phone book is still there. So, if you get a new phone every year, and your phone(s) are not on the "approved" list, there may come a time when the ULF's memory fills up, toasting your ULF module.

A similar problem occurred in early BMW ULF modules with BMW assist. The end result was the same...fried Bluetooth module. In my 35 years of driving BMW's, I've always chalked up BMW's poor electronics expertise to their reluctance to letting the Japanese design their gear. This latest Bluetooth fiasco, however, takes the cake.

I was responsible for initiating the successful class action suit against Verizon for their V710 Bluetooth non-disclosure of OPP & OBEX profile disabling, and I am gathering information on MINI's non-disclosure of their flawed Bluetooth implementation...
they refused to fix it under warentee?

Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
they refused to fix it under warentee?
We have not gotten that far yet. Replacing it would simply mean that it would work till the memory gets full, and then it would fail again. We are currently exploring other options...

Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
We have not gotten that far yet. Replacing it would simply mean that it would work till the memory gets full, and then it would fail again. We are currently exploring other options...
I'm the type of guy, I would get it fixed, and break it again, and get it fixed, and break it again

they get 3 shots to fix it, then lemon law

maybe that will force them to get it right

Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
The MINI on the other hand, keeps the phonebook forever. Even if a phone is deleted, the phone book is still there. So, if you get a new phone every year, and your phone(s) are not on the "approved" list, there may come a time when the ULF's memory fills up, toasting your ULF module.
Why is yours fried but ours aren't -- yet? Do you have an enormous phone book that taxed the system more so it went first?

Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Why is yours fried but ours aren't -- yet? Do you have an enormous phone book that taxed the system more so it went first?
Don't know. I do start the MINI at least 15 times a day, as I drive a lot to see clients.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
dwjj
6th Gear
Old 08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Glee
2nd Gear
Out of curiousity - which phones are on the 'approved' list? Or, what link would enable me to find that data?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:18 AM
moclimbin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Glee
Out of curiousity - which phones are on the 'approved' list? Or, what link would enable me to find that data?
http://wireless4mini.com/phones.html

Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mega72
I'm the type of guy, I would get it fixed, and break it again, and get it fixed, and break it again

they get 3 shots to fix it, then lemon law

maybe that will force them to get it right
Lemon law only applies to things that materially affect the safety or driveability of the vehicle. I doubt a phone book would qualify.

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI