R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Alarm or Lo-Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 05:06 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alarm or Lo-Jack?

Which would you rather have--a car alarm or Lo-Jack? If alarm, would you rather have a MINI alarm or after-market? We're trying to decide and would like some imput. This is for the new '07...

Old 12-25-2006, 05:16 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, the alarm is largely a noisemaker, but the Lojack is probably overkill, because since the odds of a MINI being stolen without the key are just about nil, you'll probably never need to track it.

Frankly, you probably don't need either one, but of the two, I'd go with the alarm.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:31 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would second that:

1) Stock MINI imobilizer is pretty darn good... if the R56 has a blinking red visual theft deterrant light as well, all the better. That alone (along with LOCKING YOUR DOORS 100% of the time) averts 99.9% of the vehicle prowlers and car thieves out there.

2) If your really in a high crime are and have to park outdoors in public all the time, get the Lo-Jack. If the car goes away, theres a good chance you will get it back within an hour of reporting the vehicle stolen (I know from experience).

3) Last is the alarm. Most do nothing to prevent the car from driving away. As said before they are mostly audible systems that everyone pretty much ignores anyway.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neither ... waste of money

http://www.trunkmonkey.com

thats all you need

Old 12-25-2006, 05:52 PM
GBMiniGirl
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Deborah, I went with the LoJack (the expensive version). I had the alarm on Mosquito and yes, it just makes noise and goes off alot if your have your windows open (shadows set it off like mad). While, yes, the LoJack is probably overkill, we do live in Houston. If someone steals Mary, I want to be able to track them down like dogs and give them what for!

Old 12-25-2006, 06:37 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
JUST buy insurance and save your money.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:43 PM
DrueDown
2nd Gear
Alarms NEVER work... HUGE waste of money.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:57 PM
adele
1st Gear
I have the Mul-T-Lock installed on my MCS. This is a transmission lock that bolts to the underside of the car. Top mounted lock, secures the gearshift to protect against theft of the vehicle.
• Fits both manual and authomatic transmission.
• 45° insertion key. I have had it installed for the past 21 years on my other vehicle. I have the transmission lock in addition to the alarm and LoJack.
Great product!!!

Old 12-25-2006, 07:08 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I got the MINI alarm. It's worked mostly as a visual deterrant and that's about all I've needed it for thankfully. Because of where I live/park, alarms do get noticed and I've been very glad it's there. However, again solely because of where I park during the day, LoJack would have been little help to me because reporting a theft in a timely manner would be impossible. I thought long and hard about my living/parking situations when I made my decision (based on the product information provided) and things pretty much turned out that way. When I spec my '08 R56 I'll be making the same decision all over again.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:04 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I would go with the alarm, just for the blinking light and noise because I would rather scare most would-theifs before they damage the car than track down the theives afterwards.

Saying that though, you can also just buy and instal a fake blinking alarm light for visual deterrent and an Club. You can pick up a battery powered blinking led at radio shack for $4, and clubs are cheap and pretty effective (most common theives don't want to take the time to saw through the steering wheel)

Old 12-26-2006, 09:01 AM
xviper
1st Gear
Alarm = noise maker.
Lo Jack = a way to get your car back in an unknown condition (no thanks) or they steal it anyway and pull out the device before they get to their destination.
A pro WILL get your car. "Punks" will just smash your windows when they can't get it going (immobilizer).

Go to RadioShack and bet a red blinking LED and a small switch and some wire. 10 bucks and you'll have the same visual effect of an alarm. Put on a "Club" for that added visual deterent.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:14 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI's already have a red blinking light I thought.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:27 AM
xviper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PezRadar
MINI's already have a red blinking light I thought.
Are you sure it's not just the anti-theft light for the radio? Thieves know what that is and is not detered.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:32 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
When I ordered mine, I didn't specify the alarm, because the MA had no idea when it would be available. So...I'm going alarmless.

If cost/benefit works out for LoJack I might consider it, but I won't consider an aftermarket alarm. One of the best theft (of items in the car, not the car itself) deterrents is sticking with the factory headunit. Every single aftermarket headunit I've ever bought has been stolen, but I've never had a factory headunit stolen. (Of course with the 2007, that's a moot point...)

Old 12-26-2006, 04:40 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
the MA had no idea when it would be available.
Yeah, that's really the big deal right now. If I were ordering now, I'd do the same as you.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:54 PM
JDR
3rd Gear
Go with the standard alarm and get the auto insurance discount. Your car won't be bolted to the drive way so if someone wants to steal it they will. Most of the time people will just want to steal your bling and a big noise maker should help with that.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:47 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by xviper
Alarm = noise maker.
Lo Jack = a way to get your car back in an unknown condition (no thanks) or they steal it anyway and pull out the device before they get to their destination.
A pro WILL get your car. "Punks" will just smash your windows when they can't get it going (immobilizer).

Go to RadioShack and bet a red blinking LED and a small switch and some wire. 10 bucks and you'll have the same visual effect of an alarm. Put on a "Club" for that added visual deterent.

remember if your car is found, you get your car back unless it is totalled. Its not up to you. Lo-jacks recovers 90% of there cars within an hour. Long before much damage could be done.

As a matter of fact i was car jacked at gun point in broad daylight, and was left standing on the corner in front of the Ritz. I called the police told them i was car jacked and that the car was equiped with lojack. 40 minutes later they had the two little ****ers in hand cuffs, waiting for me to id them. Once ID'd i saw the car... it was flawless, and my laptop which was in the back seat was still there!!! they hadn't even seen it! I was thankful to have my laptop back more than my car because it had all of my term papers on it for the college that i was attending. I didn't have to rewrite any of my papers or give any my dog ate my homework excuse. i got in my car drove away and continued about my life as if nothing ever happened. Not to shabby.

Sometimes its about getting your car back before they have a chance to destroy it... sometimes its about getting something back that is priceless to you.

Because of this i always highly highly recomend getting lojack. For go the alarm... get lojack. Some insurance companies even give 25% off of your rates because of it!!! That should tell you that it works! They have much less claims on cars equipped with lojack.

also, those of you who are naysayers of lojack... have you ever had a car stolen? It sucks... it really sucks

Plus if you have purhcasing an r56 you may want to get your car back even if the bumper or something has to be repaired... its going to take you a minimum of 90 days to get you another car... your insurance company will only provide you with a rental for 30 days...

plus if you have a note on your car you and your insurance company doesn't give you enough money to pay off your car... you have to come out of pocket just to have your car towed away from you ... then you have to still go buy another car!!!!!

well, i hope i helped shed a little light as to what COULD happen. Not nesicarliy what will happen. Just trying to put all of the scenerios out there

Old 12-26-2006, 06:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem

As a matter of fact i was car jacked at gun point in broad daylight, and was left standing on the corner in front of the Ritz. I called the police told them i was car jacked and that the car was equiped with lojack. 40 minutes later they had the two little ****ers in hand cuffs, waiting for me to id them.
Excellent story! You should send it to Lojack, they like customer stories

Old 12-27-2006, 05:36 AM
Phantom
4th Gear
Better than an alarm or lo-crap I mean jack...get a german shepherd... mines works great...see below..

Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Better idea

CCW works better yet, and is easier on the upholstery and window glass.