R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Auto or Manual?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:22 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto or Manual?

Well, I went and tried a 2005 MCSC w/manual transmission to see if I had any problems, and thanks to the short throw on the clutch I don't, so I'm seriously considering a manual, as I figure the room in the 2007 will be similar if not better.

(WOW what a nice short throw BTW -- last manual xmission cars I had were a 5.0L Mustang GT, a Mazda MX-6, and a Honda Civic, in that order. Yeah, I know...)

But on the auto side -- how responsive are the paddles? Is it flip-shift, or flip-wait-wait-shift? I think it'd be safe to assume the R56's transmission would be similar, if not better in this regard.

-W-

Old 12-17-2006, 01:36 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly the R56 auto can have paddles on the steering wheel for gear changing. I have not driven one of these yet as they are not yet available.

The R56 has more room in the footwells than the R53 as the centre console is not as wide.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
Well, I went and tried a 2005 MCSC w/manual transmission to see if I had any problems, and thanks to the short throw on the clutch I don't, so I'm seriously considering a manual, as I figure the room in the 2007 will be similar if not better.

(WOW what a nice short throw BTW -- last manual xmission cars I had were a 5.0L Mustang GT, a Mazda MX-6, and a Honda Civic, in that order. Yeah, I know...)

But on the auto side -- how responsive are the paddles? Is it flip-shift, or flip-wait-wait-shift? I think it'd be safe to assume the R56's transmission would be similar, if not better in this regard.

-W-
From my personal experience, having driven Getrag Man, AutoCVT, and Auto/Paddle, I have to say you're better off with the manual.

Reason why: The Automatic tranny with paddles in my mind, is incredibly lackluster and unresponsive compared to a manual transmission. The paddles are imprecise shifting (To me..) and sometimes did not engage. This could be due to the fact that the CVT transmissions will NOT allow you to shift at imprecise points (Say, shift from 2nd to 3rd in a berm). Paddles are nice, but the technology should really be left to the Formula 1 cars.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Gotta agree with that. Go for the manual.

Flappy paddle shifts rarely work well outide of formula 1.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:51 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Yeah, the MINI paddles have a NOTICABLE delay from actuation to actually shifting the transmission.

To see what they should work like drive the VW's version. Works like an indy car. Very responcive.

Go with the manual unless your commuting in heavy, urban, stop-and-go traffic during 99% of your driving experience.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:18 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
Manual.

There is no better car to have manual than a MINI

Old 12-17-2006, 03:27 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
The S model does not come with the CVT, it has the Steptronic.The CVT is a completely different animal.

I have a 06 Auto S and yes the manual does give you more control, however I have never had an issue with the paddles not shifting.

I went to a Driver's Edge event this last November at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, Texas and the paddles worked fine. There is a very small delay, but it didn't cause me any problems as I was able to keep up with the manual Mini's in my group. No Mini in my group pulled me on the straight and some of them had mods similiar to mine.

There is no right or wrong answer to manual or automatic, it all depends on your situation and what you want out of your car.

If you want all out speed, get the manual as it is quicker and gives you more total control over your car.

If you drive in stop and go traffic everyday and your wife can't drive a manual and does use your car at times, you may want to get a auto.

Either way the Mini S is something you will look forward driving every day.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 PM
terryg
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rogue Cooper
From my personal experience, having driven Getrag Man, AutoCVT, and Auto/Paddle, I have to say you're better off with the manual.

Reason why: The Automatic tranny with paddles in my mind, is incredibly lackluster and unresponsive compared to a manual transmission. The paddles are imprecise shifting (To me..) and sometimes did not engage. This could be due to the fact that the CVT transmissions will NOT allow you to shift at imprecise points (Say, shift from 2nd to 3rd in a berm). Paddles are nice, but the technology should really be left to the Formula 1 cars.
There's no CVT in an MCS, sorry. And no paddles on the CVT. And in the CVT, I've yet to have the transmission refuse to "shift" at any time in manual mode. And the paddles in the MCS don't have ANYTHING in common with F1 paddles except their location

To the OP: You should definitely test drive a MCS with the 6-speed auto transmission. I tend to use SD (sport drive) mode a lot more than the paddles. The only complaint I have with the 6-speed auto in D and SD mode is that the downshift from 2nd to 1st is a little abrupt

Try regular mode (D), SD, and full manual with the paddles on your test drive, and see how cool it is to be able to choose your level of shifting interaction and be able to keep both hands on the wheel

Old 12-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by R56MCS
Gotta agree with that. Go for the manual.

Flappy paddle shifts rarely work well outide of formula 1.
I love that term: Flappy Paddles. Like Jeremy Clarkson has said in the past, paddle shifts aren't the best. (I especially loved his rant on the Vanquish with them)

I will say however that DSG is great though. I test drove the MKV GTI (both stick and auto). I prefered the stick to be honest, but the DSG was nice and responsive-shifts of course were quick)

Back to the topic, it's really personal preference. As the others have said, you definitely have more control with manuals and overall you have more fun with them.

I'd say just go with a manual.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
My mistake, I forgot the MCS uses Steptronic.

Either way, it still does not budge my opinion, I just don't think the paddle technology on our cars is sophisticated enough. VW has more responsive versions but I honestly feel as aforementioned before, that paddle shifters should be left with Formula 1 cars. Not saying at all that the paddles in an MCS has any direct correlation with those found in F1 cars, just saying that the paddle shift technology should be left out and be replaced by the slap shifters that are more precise.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:48 PM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
VW systems arent true automatics, they use the manual transmission and
clutch and let the computer do the shifting on the manual tranny. Does the Mini Cooper S have this type of tranny (SMG) ? or is it a normal automatic ?

I am still considering a R32 and would actually consider getting the VW
SMG on the car .....

Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-W-

This may be helpful: MotoringFile Podcast review: Cooper S Auto

Old 12-17-2006, 05:45 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
Manual

Old 12-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by in the flesh
Manual

Old 12-17-2006, 05:52 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor

-W-

Hey, I am in Austin as well!

I have the 05 MCS with automatic tranny, and although the paddles are fairly responsive, if I were to order my MINI again, I would defintely opt for the 6-speed manual.

By the way, a few of the MINI owners here are talking about getting together at the local go-kart track (ironrock raceway out at the airport). You are more then welcome to come out and take a ride around the airport to test out the paddles. Keep your eye out for a post with more info in the next few days.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
justintime
6th Gear

-W-
the cooper had a shorter throw than a mazda? I

I think mine with the B&M is about even with my buddies MX-5

Old 12-17-2006, 05:57 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Manual when MINI put the AUTO in the MCS they killed the car, Don't help them with this.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:46 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Manual when MINI put the AUTO in the MCS they killed the car, Don't help them with this.

Why do you say that?

Have you even driven an auto MCS?

Old 12-17-2006, 06:55 PM
carrotzilla
1st Gear
Sports cars and motorcycles have clutches for a reason. Camry’s have PRNDL’s. It’s kind of like do you want to watch a movie or be in one? I look at it also as a safety issue; one who has to focus on driving will leave the cell in the cup holder as God intended.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 PM
justintime
6th Gear
I drove my ex-gf automatic MC and I dont know why.. but it felt alot slower than my MC..

Old 12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can of worms. Pandora's box.

That's what this topic is. It has been debated to death, but just for the heck of it, I'll throw my vote in again.

Manual. This is a driver's car. An enthusiasts car. Why would you deprive yourself of that soul, and of the full and complete control of the car?

Take back the power. Go Manual.

Unless you live in Manhattan. Then I will cut you some slack.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Why do you say that?

Have you even driven an auto MCS?
It's like this for the first 3 years of the car they build them for people who love to drive. AS SOON AS THEY TRIED TO MAKE THEM FOR THE MASSES they killed the car. Its not just the auto its the softing of the ride, and lots of other little things. The auto trans is just the one that sticks out most. And no i haven't driven an auto MCS but i don't need to. If i wanted an Auto car i would have got a Family car not a Fun sports car.

Originally Posted by carrotzilla
Sports cars and motorcycles have clutches for a reason. Camry’s have PRNDL’s. It’s kind of like do you want to watch a movie or be in one? I look at it also as a safety issue; one who has to focus on driving will leave the cell in the cup holder as God intended.
+1

Old 12-17-2006, 09:22 PM
nypepper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisW
It's like this for the first 3 years of the car they build them for people who love to drive. AS SOON AS THEY TRIED TO MAKE THEM FOR THE MASSES they killed the car. Its not just the auto its the softing of the ride, and lots of other little things. The auto trans is just the one that sticks out most. And no i haven't driven an auto MCS but i don't need to. If i wanted an Auto car i would have got a Family car not a Fun sports car.
so i guess i don't love to drive then, thanks for informing me
my mcsa is definitely a fun sports car
by the way an enthusiast likes to tinker and mod the car, how much of that have you done to your mini ?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:36 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
I am glad you enjoy the Auto MINI. I would never own anything than Manual of anything. The day the Manual dies for an auto that can simulate a manual, as it seems to be the case in all cars one day, i will have to drive only old cars.

Bomboasy

Old 12-17-2006, 09:41 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nypepper
so i guess i don't love to drive then, thanks for informing me
my mcsa is definitely a fun sports car
by the way an enthusiast likes to tinker and mod the car, how much of that have you done to your mini ?
Any car that has an Auto is not a sports car. Now if you want to make a Drag car then yes an auto is the way to go.

Stuff on my car or stuff waiting to be put on my car. Because considering i got the car 3 weeks ago and i wanted to wait untill i had gotten used to the car before i started moding it. But sitting on my living room floor are Megan Coilovers, H-Sports 25MM rear sway bar, M7 STB and M7 USS. I plan to buy The cosworth head and cam before the end of January and have everything installed on the car before AMVIV. But stuff i have done to the mini so far Hardwired a sirius head unit in my car. In the past i have fabed and instilled a Turbo on a 2002 dodge neon RT. Instill a wipple supercharger on a 95 mustang GT, instilled headers and Chiped a 2000 VW Golf.

So now my question to you is did you put all your mods on yourself or did you have someone else do it for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R56 Auto or Manual?