R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 N18 Weird Noise and Hesitation, No Codes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 05:46 PM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N18 Weird Noise and Hesitation, No Codes?

I posted this under "Stock Problems/Issues" but hadn't gotten any responses... Maybe you all can help!

My 2013 R56 S has been making this very loud valvetrain-esque noise when the engine isn't up to temp yet (still in warmup sequence) and only when using light throttle, like when leaving my neighborhood. If I keep the car below 2k RPM it never happens. 2.5K RPM it starts to happen. I never take my car above 3k RPM until it's warm.

To describe the sound, it's like a loud knocking/rattling that gradually becomes louder over a second or two. If I give the car more gas (about half throttle), it goes away. It never happens when the car is warmed up, and it never throws a code (UGH). There is a very slight hesitation when I hear the noise.

I attached a sound clip, which isn't the best example as it's a bit hard to hear the difference. In-person it's quite pronounced and very easily audible from outside the car. The noise comes in around the 5 second mark and stops when I let off the gas at around 10 seconds. To me, it seems possibly VANOS related like as if the camshaft goes out of time? Maybe it's fuel pump related?

I already had to replace my intake vanos solenoid due to a CEL but did not replace the exhaust side. The intake vanos solenoid was sparkling clean when I replaced it, so I figured it wasn't due to residue build-up and didn't think to replace the exhaust side, too.

Yes, the car has always been topped up with oil Just thought I'd mention that... And it runs great once warm.

Has anyone else had this happen with their N18? Any ideas?

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
R56 Noise.mp3 (291.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-18-2021, 05:38 AM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Nathan - Were you able to fix the noise?

I have same issue, sounds like an exhaust leak during light throttle during warm-up. I can't get it to exhibit this any other time. I found the exhaust bellows failing & replaced that, but I think that may be an effect & not a cause. (still has problem)

Engine runs perfectly otherwise.

BTW i have N16 engine (NA) with 50K miles.

Edit - Another clue the noise will suddenly stop, like something grabs or lets go.

I am going to clean Vanos solenoid next.

Thank you & others for any clues to help fix this

Last edited by Minidogger; 10-18-2021 at 07:24 AM. Reason: added info