R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini #6 in the family

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mini #6 in the family

Hello! Been around since 2003 but its been a couple years. Just picked up our 6th MINI, a 2013 Cooper automatic, this one for my daughter who just graduated high school. Cosmetically it is nearly flawless, and mechanically it seems like it is in really good shape. It has 105,000 miles on it, but only two owners. The second owner put 70k on it in 3 years making a very long freeway commute. Has good records and just came out of CPO warranty.

I'm going to do an oil change, change the spark plugs, air filter, and go from there. Daughter is already googling bonnet stripes and a bluetooth dongle to get the music playing through her iPhone.

Its been 4 years since we had a MINI - is there any other maintenance item that MUST be done at 100k on an automatic r56 Cooper?

here it is sitting in the garage with a couple of other British vehicles....

Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Awesome, welcome back. Nice garage set up, Clean.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-22-2019, 06:13 AM
Crossingover
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats on the new baby! We recently picked up our third Mini (a 2013 ice blue MCbase with only 26K miles). Can't help much with your ask other than it seems reasonable but I'd definitely swap that long aerial our for a short one (I used the OEM Mini shorty). I just went through replacing the base on mine due to the long aerial catching on something and busting the base. Also swap as many lamps as you can with superior LEDs (at a minimum, the headlamps and driving lamps). Yup, bonnet stripes are in order. Like your Bonneville and Tiger (?); I enjoyed a carbureted Bonneville and Speedmaster among other bikes during my previous riding career. Quickly gave up trying to clean off the 'liver spots' on the headers.

Our Third Mini

Old 05-22-2019, 06:51 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Definitely look into opening up the valvecover and check timing chain for slack, timing rail guide, and if the tool is available, put the timing chain tools onto the camshaft slot and check the cam alignment with the flywheel. At this mileage, a transmission fluid and coolant flush would be something to do as an extra careful step, too. Other than those I mentioned, you'll need to keep a sharp eye on water pump and thermostat housing for coolant leaks. These non-turbo cars have much less issues than the turbo-S cars, so just keep what I've mentioned in tabs and you'll be fine. Congrats and nice looking garage.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
thanks everyone. its a fun car although being the first automatic MINI we have owned I was missing the third pedal when I brought it home. Coolant flush definitely added to the list.

have the n18 engines had timing chain issues like the n14s? I thought that had been resolved. if not, I'll get on that also.

the garage is a bit messy but I love it.

its been since 2013 since we have had a MINI....I spent this morning building a new cooper S on the configurator lol. maybe next year.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
nice looking car! super low miles for a 2013 also!

the bonneville is technically my wife's bike, but I ride it quite a bit. I don't mind the bikes looking a bit dirty. but the cars should be shiny!

Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 AM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
NIce.

I'm on #4 (also for my daughter, who's in high school).

My advice to you is to change the transmission fluid & filter. It's not super difficult (except for ONE bolt on the fluid pan). MINI says your transmission fluid is a lifetime fluid, but there's no such thing. I think they are estimating "lifetime" at 100K miles. By then, they suspect you will have sold the car and it will be someone else's problem.

DM me if you would like to hear a little easier workaround for that one bolt. There's plenty of info on the forum on how to do this job. I did it myself in about 3 hours, and for a little over $200. The dealership wanted $700 just to flush the fluid, no filter change. I personally think this is essential at your mileage.