R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clutch, Flywheel, & Diff Upgrade in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Clutch, Flywheel, & Diff Upgrade in 2019?

Hey guys, I'm running the RPM Stage 2 Tune from MarioKart and my clutch has had some abuse (at least 2 drivers learned stick on it, and I've had my fair share of downshift/heel-toe learning to abuse it). So I'm looking at getting a street & occasional track-day clutch and flywheel as well as a good diff. From what I've seen/read, I don't want an organic compound clutch because I'm sure to wear on it when I go to the track or autocross. I also know I don't want a super lightweight flywheel from what I've heard because it makes daily driving (which this car will continue to be) miserable. As far as a diff, it sounds like WaveTrac makes the best one in that price range currently.

What are you guys' opinions/experience with any of these performance parts? Any suggestions on specific parts or things I should avoid?

As a side note, I enjoy the aggressive "go-kart" feel of cars and don't mind a little harshness (my wife hates it, but we can always drive her car for longer trips lol), I just don't want something that's basically track-use only nor do I want something that's going to put extra wear on anything else or itself.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I have the JMTC Stage 3 clutch I got from Mario paired with their lightweight single mass flywheel. Definitely streetable with my only complaint being it will chatter a bit if I really bog it in first on a start because of the lack of dampening.

Wavetrac is what I'd go with if you're looking at LSDs, pretty much universally agreed upon to be the best on out there. Don't forget to replace stuff like rear main seal, input shaft seal/bearing, diff bearings while you're in there.

The following 2 users liked this post by thebombardier:
cloverasx (04-03-2019), ECSTuning (04-05-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:18 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
That sounds like the route I'm more than likely going to go. I'm just waiting on a response from Mario. Is the chatter only when bogging in first or is it prevalent when idling too? Thanks for the tip on replacing the extra bits; I knew about the rear main seal but not the others.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:25 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Nah nothing at idle really.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:44 PM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
@thebombardier do you have the part numbers for the bearings/seals for this project? Still the same plan; I'm ordering the JMTC Stage 2 or 3 and diff from @MarioKart but I'm not sure what all parts exactly you're talking about. Trying to find them now so they're ordered and ready when we start the teardown either this weekend or next.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:01 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I have been VERY underwhelmed by the sound system in this car - we have the premium... Frankly it's quite sad for the cost of this vehicle.
If I were you - I'd take it to the best audio shop in town and have them spec out adding more power and upgrading all the speakers to aftermarket. Just my $0.02

Old 05-08-2019, 07:15 AM
cloverasx
2nd Gear
I agree, @MrFunk but I think you meant to post that on a different thread lol - this thread is regarding the clutch, flywheel, and differential. I do intend to upgrade my audio system, but having the know-how saves me a ton of money because I feel like (at least in my area, Evansville, IN) the audio shops in town are professionals at price gouging customers.