R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What programming cable to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:54 AM
SOUNDAROUNDYOU
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What programming cable to use?

Hello all,
i have a R56 2008 Mini Cooper Hatch Base and am wanting to start doing some more in depth programming. I originally purchased the Carly app and programmer because I thought I could turn in the cruise control. Sadly I was wrong. It did allow me to make many other changes like wiper durations and such. It looks like I will have to replace my FRM as one of the terminals have disintegrated. I have added the steering wheel controls, and an all new rocker panel switch set so I can have front and rear fogs, There is a really great vendor on eBay that has waterproof boxes that can be configured to hold relays or fuses so they will come in handy with all of the additions. Anyway, I have outgrown my Carly setup and want to venture into more serious programming. I am an industrial controls tech/programmer by trade so it should not be too horrible to learn. I am up to the challenge! Lol I hope!
Too make a short story long, I need help sorting through the 3 billion programming cables out there. Can anyone direct me to a cable that works great? I have a Windows 10 laptop running 64 bit. I can always setup a VM for 32 bit if needed. Or I will buy an old laptop and only use it for programming.

Thanks!

2008 Mini Cooper Base Pepper White
- Black/Gray six spoke wheels.
- Grill mounted fog lights.
- Stop Tech cross drilled and spotted rotors.
- Centric ceramic and carbon fiber pads.
- K&N Typhoon Intake.
- NGK Iridium plugs.
- LED headlights.
- Parrot Bluetooth hands free system.

Will be adding:
- Factory bumper fogs.
- Aftermarket Horns.
- Rear fog lights.
- Cruise control.
- New headlight buckets.
- Left side racing stripe (Black/gray/black).
- Remove rear seat and build custom organizer and speaker enclosure.
- Complete sound system upgrade.
- Etc...

Old 02-21-2019, 04:03 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi,

Finding the cable is the easy part, you'll need a K+DCAN cable but make sure it has the proper FTDI chip and a switch on the connector. Don't buy the really cheap cables.

Setting up, updating and using the software is the difficult part. Installing all software requires 200GB+ free space.

Most cables will come with the software via media or download links.

Software like Rheingold, NCS Expert, E-Sys, INPA etc.. can be used with the cable depending on what you want to do.

No VM is needed and can be installed on normal windows 7 and up (x32/x64).

Old 02-21-2019, 04:16 AM
SOUNDAROUNDYOU
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by knt
Hi,

Finding the cable is the easy part, you'll need a K+DCAN cable but make sure it has the proper FTDI chip and a switch on the connector. Don't buy the really cheap cables.

Setting up, updating and using the software is the difficult part. Installing all software requires 200GB+ free space.

Most cables will come with the software via media or download links.

Software like Rheingold, NCS Expert, E-Sys, INPA etc.. can be used with the cable depending on what you want to do.

No VM is needed and can be installed on normal windows 7 and up (x32/x64).
Thanks but, what I need help with is finding a cable that is reliable. All I can see on eBay and Amazon are inexpensive, dare I say cheap, cables. I plan on using NCS Expert to program with and my lapto has a 512 ssd and a 2 tare standard drive. No worries on space! Lol. Any thoughts?

Old 02-21-2019, 12:44 PM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts