R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front bushing removal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:26 AM
wajulia
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bushing removal HELP

This is a continuationn of my lower control arm thread. I got both control arms removed and now I'm trying to remove the bushing. I tried using an inexpensive bushing removal tool that I got from Ebay that was a joke the tool broke as soon as I started to use it. I went to Home Depot and got some threaded rod and that didn't work much better. So my next attempt was to lower the subframe without removing it. The subframe came down about an 1 to 2 inches but that doesn't seem to be enough to get to the last bolt on the bushing.
So far I have been letting gravity take its course should I get more forceful in trying to lower the subframe to get to that last Bolt. Any hints or suggestions be greatly appreciated

this is the procedure I used to lower the subframe

https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/how-to-replace-the-front-control-arm-bushing-without-removing-the-subframe.59/

Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 PM
wajulia
1st Gear
What an epic. Took me about 3 hours to lower the subframe another three hours to get the last two hidden bolts out, than about 3 hours to put the whole thing back together again . But it is done, new poly bushing and all new ball joints.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Seaswood
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Was it worth the energy used?

Old 12-16-2018, 03:14 PM
wajulia
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Seaswood
Was it worth the energy used?
well that is an interesting question. I hadn't driven it yet so I am not sure if it makes a difference in the ride. Let me tell you why I really changed them

a guy put this car on the internet for a very inexpensive price because it failed inspection and he didnt want to spend the $5000 quoted at a local mini dealer to fix all the issues. Great news for me because I was looking for a hobby car and my wife wanted a mini. The inspection failed because of brakes, strut, strut tower bearings, bushings and sway bar bushings. So I was good, I knew I could fix it all for less than $500 in parts and I got a great deal.

so what have I found so far ---- NOTHING. Every item that was failed the inspection was just fine. Even the bushings I just spent 9 hours changing. All the parts are now new and fresh so I don't mind so much, but it was a little sobering to realize the local mini dealer was asking for $5000 for what seemed to be nothing. The guy bought a brand new mini from them and sold this one to me. I guess the dealer got what they wanted, the guy got a new mini, and I got a great deal, but BUYER BEWARE

Old 12-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Seaswood
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Mini sales down they have to prop up sales!

always good to have new parts I agree, depending what else needs attention?