R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Minimania stage 3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Mrfss5357
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minimania stage 3 kit

Hello everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while and I am impressed by how much knowledge I have gained. Thanks everyone for your contribution.

I have a 2012 Mini S Hardtop (R56) and I am thinking about upgrading it to just give it a more sporty feel. I am actually quite happy with stock performance, but want to improve driving experience / sound with better setups.

I also want to go with "safe" upgrades in order not to impact any vital car components. In other words, I do not want to transform my car entirely and still going to need it for daily commute so I do not need to have a track monster. I also do not want to install upgrades that will significantly push my car and that my engine / other components won't handle. I do not want to sacrifice car longevity over performance.

With that said, I found these 2 kits that could potentially work and would love to get your views on those:

KIT 1: new.minimania.com/part/G2NMK1115/Stage-3-Performance-Upgrade-Kit---R56-57-Mini-Cooper-S-04-2012
KIT 2: new.minimania.com/part/G2NMK1121/Mini-Cooper-Stage-3-Upgrade-Kit-Quicksilver-Gen2-R56-Cooper-S-04-2012

I believe the difference between the two is just the ECU upgrade.

I would appreciate any other recommendation that deviates from these 2 kits.

Thank you very much for your help.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:08 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Breaking the kits down into the components - there are plenty of options for all of the individual parts, you can pick and choose from different vendors. Nothing special about the kit, and you can likely save significant $.

1) intake: On the N14 and N18, changing the intake isn't going to provide any benefit other than a bit more noise. Lots of options for intakes, from the JCW airbox to several aftermarket solutions. Pick what you like.

2) turbo output -> FMIC input hose, or "hot side muffler delete" Several options from multiple vendors - NM, Forge, Alta, and some muffler/silencer delete pipes like the one from WMW. These aren't going to do much but make you feel better. I have one and yes I feel better for having it.

3) FMIC - again, lots of options, look at Helix and Wagner especially. I have the Wagner and have done a fair amount of datalogging, it does an amazing job of reducing Intake Air Temperature. This is not something you are going to ever need in your daily commute but it will pay off for extended high performance driving, and is also a prerequisite for anything beyond a basic tune.

4) cold side connection to throttle body - not necessary in my opinion.

5) exhaust - up to you. Mainly a difference in sound, flow won't be an issue until you are at much higher power which is going to require a bigger turbo.

6) tune - this is where you can make a real difference. Again, plenty of options, search the forum.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
You want power get Manic tune.FMIC AND DOWNPIPE. THEN FEEL THE POWER.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Don't bother with "stage" kits as these kits are just marketing ploys with number made up by sellers to sound better as the higher the number supposedly the "better". Your much better off doing a little research and picking the parts that fit your goals and needs.

Like we would recommend:
For best power for dollar an ECU tune, we offer different stages, but all will be the most power gain for your dollar.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

Then there is this super cheap mod that you will instantly notice and makes a clear improvement by reducing the engine rock.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...unt-large.html

Don't bother with intakes as the power increase if any often isn't worth it and we actually find most instakes loose you power.

But an intercooler is a clear winner on power gain as it will get the intake temps down and intern make power. We use the forge as it is reliable and fits right each time. I have it on my cars.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

While doing that you can remove the resonator in the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. Several options with various price ranges. they all do the same thing so we like our WMW pipe the best as it will fit perfect and easy on the wallet.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-re...7-r58-r59.html

After those simple and reliable mods drive the car and decide if this has met your goals or if your goals have changed then make a new plan from there. No need to jump in deep and buy everything under the sun at once just because its in package.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-19-2017, 01:09 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I would choose exhaust from the cat back and a FMIC first.. to avoid running lean and overboosting in combination.

Most folks like to hear and feel their upgrades..so they choose to get an intake and DP first..when tuners would agree those are both upgrades best suited before getting a custom tune. You can swap out hoses, intercooler, cat back and diverter safely without putting your engine into lean or hard over boost conditions

Old 10-19-2017, 05:57 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Then there is this super cheap mod that you will instantly notice and makes a clear improvement by reducing the engine rock.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...unt-large.html
I second this recommendation....I would also add that this adds to driving fun under all circumstances....for me, it felt like it eliminated some of the lag between my right foot and the engine, so I felt more connected. It's cheap, doesn't negatively impact reliability, and can be installed and removed easily (if you have a jack, jack stand, and normal tools).

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (10-23-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Bnourai
5th Gear
The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:16 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Breaking the kits down into the components - there are plenty of options for all of the individual parts, you can pick and choose from different vendors. Nothing special about the kit, and you can likely save significant $.

1) intake: On the N14 and N18, changing the intake isn't going to provide any benefit other than a bit more noise. Lots of options for intakes, from the JCW airbox to several aftermarket solutions. Pick what you like.

2) turbo output -> FMIC input hose, or "hot side muffler delete" Several options from multiple vendors - NM, Forge, Alta, and some muffler/silencer delete pipes like the one from WMW. These aren't going to do much but make you feel better. I have one and yes I feel better for having it.

3) FMIC - again, lots of options, look at Helix and Wagner especially. I have the Wagner and have done a fair amount of datalogging, it does an amazing job of reducing Intake Air Temperature. This is not something you are going to ever need in your daily commute but it will pay off for extended high performance driving, and is also a prerequisite for anything beyond a basic tune.

4) cold side connection to throttle body - not necessary in my opinion.

5) exhaust - up to you. Mainly a difference in sound, flow won't be an issue until you are at much higher power which is going to require a bigger turbo.

6) tune - this is where you can make a real difference. Again, plenty of options, search the forum.

1) If you have a JCW intake and a panel filter wouldn't this suffice for this mod or it is truly necessary to have an aftermarket intake like DoS, NM, DDM, AEM, M7, this I don't understand the need if my JCW intake flows just as good?

2) Aftermarket Hoses: whats the actual NEED of these if the stock hoses on JCW's flow just fine? Im skeptical to get them after reading where some have has issues with silicone breakdown when the stock hoses don't do this. So why does this end up being a mod everybody does?

3) Intercooler: this mod I understand is a must have because the stock IC is so small. However, after all my searches and post readings I can never tell which FMIC is better than the other (all the quality name brand ones), so it looks like just having a BIGGER one than stock is all that is required.

4) Cold Side Throttle Body Connection - this I have never heard of or seen being required as a mod, so what does this do or enhance?

5) If you have a JCW exhaust why would you need an aftermarket exhaust? Doesnt the JCW exhaust flow just as good as all the aftermarket ones? I only see the need to upgrade (to have bigger piping) IF there is a turbo swap that would create more pressure but is this really necessary if you keep the stock turbo?

6) So what are the mods needed if you have a JCW for the following
Tune Stages :

Stage 1 - no mods necessary
Stage 2 - intercooler & 1422 plugs
Stage 3 - ????
Stage 4 - I hear/read requires bigger turbo and strengthened internals but I don't exactly know what this list of changes consists of.

Can somebody clarify this mod list to spell out what is needed vs what is not to get a Manic tune for Non-S, S-model, JCW/GP? I actually don't believe the mod list is the exact same for all mini types. the JCW & GP versions come with some mod changes where it seems like it would already meet some of the mod criteria.
Stage 2 - Intercooler

Old 10-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Neal3000
1st Gear
Has anyone tried the chinese knockoff intercoolers? I've had good luck with radiators and trans coolers from the far east in other vehicles..

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
I am on stage 2 and running the eBay fmic, the fit was like a glove, no adjustments needed on my r56, my intake temperature has never reached over 10 degrees of ambient I have a scangage 2 and monitor all. Yes I do understand the importance of having a name brand wagoner forge and others. But there are times that Rolex look a like will keep as good as time as oregional. It was not about $$$$ but more about how better the technologies are in manufacturing these days.
So SO FAR SO GOOD.
there are a lot of mini's out there with these FMIC'S
BEN

The following 2 users liked this post by Bnourai:
cornjuice (10-26-2017), Neal3000 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Neal3000
1st Gear
Thanks for the info, could you provide a link to the one you got on ebay?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:09 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
actually there are a bunch of ebay intercoolers to pick from (no name brands I've never heard of) but I noticed a majority of the ones I found don't go past year 2012. im going to post in the "comprehensive intercooler" 2nd gen Mods/Drivetrain thread where i'll list all the ones I find so you all can chime in there giving your thoughts on the different no name brands.