R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Where to get black headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 PM
mationato
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Where to get black headlights?

Does anyone have experience with any aftermarket black-housing headlights for their R56? I've got a 2013 Bayswater and really want the black versions but can't find OEM ones anywhere, and I'm not sure which aftermarket ones to go for...

I've currently got the factory bi-xenons with washers.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by mationato; 07-12-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I know my 2014 R58 has them from the factory, BiXenons, not sure if I have washers. I would think your car has the same headlights. Maybe you could get the black insert I have (sorry if you already were aware of that and looked). There used to be threads about the infamous "Joey Mod" where R56 owners would take the glass covers off and paint them before there were factory ones. They'd put them in the oven and stuff!

Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I just went with the spyder ones as they were a straight swap for the OEM bi xenon. Here is all the info. They worked fine for me since on my R58 JCW. Uses the OEM ballast and bulb and you can still use the washers, just pop them in off the old ones. The great thing is you now get a DRL omega light which you can tap to on the parklng lights or a power 12v turn on.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...adlight-2.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-13-2017, 05:37 PM
mationato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I know my 2014 R58 has them from the factory, BiXenons, not sure if I have washers. I would think your car has the same headlights. Maybe you could get the black insert I have (sorry if you already were aware of that and looked). There used to be threads about the infamous "Joey Mod" where R56 owners would take the glass covers off and paint them before there were factory ones. They'd put them in the oven and stuff!
I was thinking of doing that, but it's not worth the risk IMO to take open headlights that are this expensive...

Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 PM
mationato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I just went with the spyder ones as they were a straight swap for the OEM bi xenon. Here is all the info. They worked fine for me since on my R58 JCW. Uses the OEM ballast and bulb and you can still use the washers, just pop them in off the old ones. The great thing is you now get a DRL omega light which you can tap to on the parklng lights or a power 12v turn on.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...adlight-2.html
Previously I had wanted these, but to me they don't look black enough, and I'm going for a meaner look.

I had recently put angry eyes on my headlights with some dark tint and really like the look, but think it would look so much better with black housings. However I don't think it would work well with the spyder headlights, that give it more a "surprised" look than I'm looking for.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I have seen people put the angry tops covers on the Spyders in person for the F55-R59, just have not seen them on here.

They look like what angry decals look like on the f56.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Could be Spec-D Black headlights but you will loose the washers.
I'm running these. They looks really nice.