R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cold start idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM
tachommie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start idle issues

Hey guys, noob justa mini owner. Can someone help me with an idle issue I'm having. I've searched and I know about he HPFP issue but since this is justa a mini I don't believe I have a HPFP. this issue only happens form a cold start. once it's warmed up the idle is smooth with no issues. The idle is usually worse fluctuating down to between 800 to 1200 rpms. The following video didn't capture that part.

Here is the video Link

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
How many miles on your MINI? Could be due for a carbon cleaning. No Seafoam won't fix it.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:27 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The HPFP issue also occurs from a cold start (only), but when that happens it just won't start at all on the first button push. It might take 2 or 3 but once it starts it idles fine. At least that's what mine did, until it just wouldn't start at all. Yours is probably something else with the Justa.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:32 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mileage, age of MINI, and so on? It's not a turbo, but engines need service and cleaning. Tell us more.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 PM
tachommie
Neutral
So the mini is a 2007 with 92000 miles. I bought it used about a 1000 miles ago. it's in decent shape but looking at the service history it certainly didn't have an easy life. However it runs fine minus the cold start idle issue.

I'll look at the carbon cleaning service, however am I correct that the non Turbo does not have a HPFP?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tachommie
So the mini is a 2007 with 92000 miles. I bought it used about a 1000 miles ago. it's in decent shape but looking at the service history it certainly didn't have an easy life. However it runs fine minus the cold start idle issue.

I'll look at the carbon cleaning service, however am I correct that the non Turbo does not have a HPFP?

Yes, you are correct. No HPFP on Cooper Base.
Unless you have an aftermarket turbo installed

I had the same issue and in my case the fix was cleaning the in-tank fuel pump filter.
Since my base Cooper is "euro" the filter is integrated on the fuel pump (under the rear seat, behind the driver)
I believe in your case, you have the filter behind the passenger side, totally separated from the fuel pump/tank
Much easier to do for you, since you don't need to open the fuel tank, nor remove the pump, nor clean the integrated filter like me.
This is a good chance to change it (If this does not solve the problem, it will not be bad to have a new fuel filter with your mileage).
With a new fuel filter and the issue present, I would check the fuel pressure lines. You can connect a fuel pressure reader on the end of the line (where the injectors are).

Here in the forum you can see great info about the procedure to change the fuel filter in your US Mini and to check the desirable fuel pressure on the lines

Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM
tachommie
Neutral
Thanks for the suggestions.