R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bad friction wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:09 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bad friction wheel?

I wanted to replace the belt for the first time. I was under the impression that after taking tension off of the belt by locking the tensioner that when I pulled the little tab on the friction wheel that the belt would slide off easily. The belt came off with a lot of force. It seems like the friction wheel is either worn out or isn't working properly. Bentley doesn't mention if when you pull the tab on the friction wheel that the actual friction wheel will move out slightly allowing for easy belt removal.

Any comments on proper friction wheel operation and if it common to change it out as well as the tensioner? I have 212,000 miles on my 2009 MCS so probably should change them both. Thoughts?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
The friction wheel tab will release the belt when it's pulled, BUT when you release the tab, the wheel engages the belt again. It's not like the tensioner release that locks into place. At least that's the way my '07S works --- I just finished a complete engine rebuild at 93K miles on original wheel. And no, Bentley doesn't tell us all we need to know, but try doing the job without it!

No experience with other friction wheels, but I haven't read about anyone else having to replace it either.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM
timski
4th Gear
Thanks. I remember seeing a video somewhere that showed the friction wheel actually moved a little when the tab was pulled. Then the belt can be easily removed. On my car....nothing really happens when I pull the tab. The friction wheel doesn't move and the belt is still tight (even with the tensioner locked). Maybe it needs a good cleaning.

For now I will just replace the tensioner...maybe Gates.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:35 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by timski
Thanks. I remember seeing a video somewhere that showed the friction wheel actually moved a little when the tab was pulled. Then the belt can be easily removed. On my car....nothing really happens when I pull the tab. The friction wheel doesn't move and the belt is still tight (even with the tensioner locked). Maybe it needs a good cleaning.

For now I will just replace the tensioner...maybe Gates.
My friction wheel tab pulled out 3 - 5 inches to release the belt. When you quit pulling the tab, it returns to the "engaged" position, so you gotta remove the belt while pulling the tab 3 - 5 inches. Are you pulling it far enough?

What's wrong with your tensioner? Are you sure you're releasing tension properly, so it can latch? This is an area where the Bentley manual is pretty good --- it's up to you to lock the tensioner in the "released" position. This loosens the belt from the associated pulleys. The friction wheel just applies pressure between the outside surface of the belt and the water pump, so when the tab is pulled, the belt isn't tight between the wheel and pump pulley --- it can be removed easily.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 PM
timski
4th Gear
I'll keep it simple.
When I pull the tab on the friction wheel it should move slightly or at least allow more access to remove the belt. Neither happened for me. I had to pull hard on the belt to get it out.

Nothing appears wrong with the tensioner but for $80 why not change it at 212,000 miles?
I already have the engine out and it can't last forever.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM
timski
4th Gear
I guess I'm not the only one with this issue.

Attached Thumbnails Bad friction wheel?-photo565.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
When you pull the friction wheel tab, the friction wheel loosens. If it does not, it might be bad.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...erheating.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-no-heat.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172