R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Seeking extended warranty for R56

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:30 AM
True Believer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking extended warranty for R56

Hello everyone,

I have a 2009 JCW with 79K miles. I've had some of the problems I read about in the forums, but not all of them. Since it isn't a good time for an expensive breakdown, I want to buy an aftermarket extended warranty. I checked the other forums, but most of what I found is related to the MINI CPO. I can't get that - I've owned this car four years.

Do any of you know a good source for unbiased comparison information about these warranties? Do any of you have any good personal experiences to share?

Thanks

Old 04-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Did you try Google? "auto extended warranty"

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_warranty/
and pages of more references

EDITORIAL:

I've got years of factory warranty left and every week I get several offers for extended warranties. IMO they are 95% of the time worthless. IME the times I tried an extended warranty, the first time a problem occurred the fine print said NOT COVERED. (at which time I cancelled for a prorated refund fortunately) Better to put the $ in the bank so you can have it if a problem occurs, and draw interest until then. But if this won't work for you ... there's insurance which is all an extended warranty is .... insurance.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 04-23-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
100% agree with above statement about warranty. A very small percentage of people make out well with them and that entices enough other people to ante up and make the insurance companies money. It's like going to Vegas or playing the lottery, mostly the house wins.