R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Low compression/melted valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Sharino
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low compression/melted valve cover

I just bought a 09 Cooper S from an auction non running but low mileage (50,000). I'm quite familiar with Bmw engine repairs, figure i would try a Mini to fix up for my son.

Got it home, wouldn't start, so I cleaned up plugs and oil soaked coils and car fired up, took for a quick 2 minute drive, seemed fine, decent power but next day wouldn't start.

Decided to change valve cover gasket and noticed inside of VC was melted so i just installed a new oem cover and new plugs tonight. Same time i noticed coolant reservoir was empty so i filled it up and it just all poured out what appears to be the side waterpump onto the ground within 5 minutes just sitting there. Was hoping it would still fire up in the meantime while i order a new pump. Needless to say, can't get this thing to start again now.

Did a compression test, 60-80psi in all cylinders. Starting to put together the mystery to this car. Overheated and warped head? bad head gasket? jumped timing? etc.

Any ideas? thinking to pull the head off and inspect but just wanted to ask the Mini Gods if you have any ideas? when VC was off chain and such looked good but probably need to search how to verify timing. It was just strange i had it running the other day.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
The car was in the auction for a reason more than just fluids. I buy them all the time from the auction and so far i got them 100% back on the road and listed for sale too

anywho, there are few things need to be done before you rush to start the car and cause further damage. here is a quick check list:

1- check oil
2- check coolant
3- check for leaks under the car
4- check for leaks around the cylinder head
5- check water pipes
6- check vacuum lines
7- remove ALL spark plugs and see condition
8- with S.plugs removed, take a look in the holes and see if you notice shiny surface.
9- remove VC and look at the chain and feel around.
10- set the timing and see where things line up
10.1 place long straws in the s.plug holes
10.2 rotate the engine by HAND until straw on Cyl #1 (closer to the timing chain) starts going down and straw on cyl #2 starts going up. now, Level these two straws.
10.3 once step 10.2 done, look are the intake and exhaust cams close to the vacuum pump and HPFP. there is where the locking tool sets. see if the flate edges are side, top, side. the round edge should be bottom.

11. take a break and make a plan to proceed.

Keep up posted and post pix too

Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Sharino
Neutral
Thank you for your reply. I have purchased several cars from auction and know exactly what I am getting into. I have rebuilt several BMW motors with valve on piston carnage, snapped chains etc. I am just not as familiar with minis issues yet.

i have obviously done all your steps from 1-9 already, what I am asking for is if it is common on these motors to blow headgaskets or is jumping timing a common issue. First n14 I will be opening up.

being low on compression of all cylinders I am sure it's one of the two mentioned above or even a warped head/block. Can somebody tell me for sure what the block is made from? Read conflicting info online. I know the head is aluminum and possibly warped.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 10:15 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
They are aluminum.

It is not known for mini to warp the head. You need to check timing as i have a feeling you jumped timing and hit the valves. But checking the timing will bring you one step to fixing the issue.

Two more things to check: spark and gas.

If you also have a CEL, get a reading...if there is no light, still get a reading.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:12 AM
King_Lyons
Neutral
I know this thread is very old but I have the exact same problem. What was the resolution?

Old 05-07-2022, 03:34 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Did you go through the checklist above?

Old 05-07-2022, 06:14 PM
King_Lyons
Neutral
got up to 9. not sure how to check timing please advise