R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How good are Brembo brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:05 PM
MINI8
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How good are Brembo brake pads?

Is anyone using the Brembo Ceramic brake pads?
They seem to be priced lower than the EBC Redstuff ones.
If you are, would you mind sharing your thoughts?

Regards

Old 02-22-2017, 07:17 AM
MINI8
2nd Gear
Anyone???

Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 PM
joedotmac
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been running them on the front for almost two years. They perform fantastic, very little dusting. The noise and squealing during certain ambient temperature ranges when coming to stop 15-0 mph to me is intolerable for a daily driver. My next attempt will be PowerStop Z23 Carbon Ceramic pads.

Mind you I paired the pads with brand new rotors and used the brake quiet grease as recommended. Also performed the pad break in procedure.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:03 AM
MINI8
2nd Gear
Thank you for the info, much appreciated!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:00 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am running the Brembo HP 2000 pads and Centric high carbon rotors on the front for about 2 years, and EBC Redstuff pads and Centric high carbon rotors on the rear of my 2009 Clubman for about 1 year. Even though they're mounted in front, the Brembo pads (my wheels) are slightly less dusty than the rear Redstuff pads (my wheels) in the rear. The Brembo pads are very quiet and smooth but not very aggressive, however they perform fine in a daily driver application. I have not pushed them hard except when I broke them in, and they seemed okay. They seem to be lasting a very long time and are easy on the rotor. Pedal feel is good and firm. The Brembo pads are more of a luxury pad than a performance pad. I was really impressed with the manufacturing quality of the Brembo pads. The backing plate edges were super clean, almost like laser cut. I have had no noise issues with either Brembo or EBC pads. That said, I will eventually replace the front Brembo pads with EBC Redstuff pads as they fit the character of the MINI and my driving style better. I will say that my favorite pads so far have been the factory pads, but the amount of dust was ridiculous.

Last edited by neonsteve; 02-25-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM
michi1201
2nd Gear
I put in Akebono Ceramic pads all around on my 2010 MCS about 2 years ago and I love them. Also put new rotors at the same time. Before, with the stock MINI pads my wheels were always dirty and required weekly scrubbing. Now I just spray with a hose about every 2 months and they always look great. I've heard a brief squeal a few times when I'm lightly braking but for normal slow-downs and stops they are quiet and work great. I don't track or autocross the car so don't have any info on intense usage.