R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Valve cover upgrade ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Howster
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve cover upgrade ????

Hi to all,

I have been posting on this forum for a little while as I have been working on my exe's 2010 (R56) Mini Cooper Base. You all have been quite helpful and I appreciate it.

One of the things I have been working with recently is the P2414 code. I replaced both O2 sensors but that didn't help. I still got the code, however I read here that the PCV valve could cause issues like this. I ended up spraying some carb cleaner inside the valve cover where the PCV valve is and the code went away and the light never came back on. This was a couple of weeks ago.

However after reading that the PCV valve can become unattached and enter the various moving parts of the engine I decided to order a new valve cover for her car and have it ready in case that was the problem. So here is my issue-I received the brand new valve cover and I notice the PCV valve is not visible. It is enclosed so you can't see it. Is this an upgraded version that is addressing the previous covers with the exposed PCV valve?

I wanted to wait until I had the new cover with me so when I removed the cover from the car if it was in fact defective I could change it and not worry about it. If the PCV valve was in good condition then I would just install new gaskets and reinstall it and return the new one for a refund.

A problem I saw a couple of months ago was a code P0015, which is the Cam position sensor. My reader states it could be a defective sensor, wiring or a loose connector. So I removed the connectors on both sensors and sprayed them with electrical spray. The problem never came back until yesterday. So I sprayed them again as it was the same exact code. I am now deciding on whether to just replace both sensors and be done with it.

So should I replace both sensors, or just the one that is coding, meaning the bank 1 sensor? I usually try to replace parts if there are twins just to be on the safe side, so wondering if this is what is suggested?

I only ask questions because I have not been a Mini Mechanic until she got this car. She has had it about four years and it has been an ok car. I've done quite a lot of work on the car and just want it done correctly. There are no Mini dealerships nearby and the independent shops have taken a lot of her money and done nothing to the car.

There just seems to be so many issues surrounding the Mini that other cars just don't have. Anyway my main concerns right now are the PCV valve question and the Cam position sensors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keep warm everybody and thanks again.

Cheers,

Howie

Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Howster
Hi to all,

I have been posting on this forum for a little while as I have been working on my exe's 2010 (R56) Mini Cooper Base. You all have been quite helpful and I appreciate it.

One of the things I have been working with recently is the P2414 code. I replaced both O2 sensors but that didn't help. I still got the code, however I read here that the PCV valve could cause issues like this. I ended up spraying some carb cleaner inside the valve cover where the PCV valve is and the code went away and the light never came back on. This was a couple of weeks ago.

However after reading that the PCV valve can become unattached and enter the various moving parts of the engine I decided to order a new valve cover for her car and have it ready in case that was the problem. So here is my issue-I received the brand new valve cover and I notice the PCV valve is not visible. It is enclosed so you can't see it. Is this an upgraded version that is addressing the previous covers with the exposed PCV valve? I've had my OEM VC off several times and have never seen the PCV components. Currently available VC's are upgraded slightly, but the PCV stuff is intended to be enclosed --- there is no danger of them falling into the moving parts.

I wanted to wait until I had the new cover with me so when I removed the cover from the car if it was in fact defective I could change it and not worry about it. If the PCV valve was in good condition then I would just install new gaskets and reinstall it and return the new one for a refund. Gaskets are part of the VC package and you probably can't return the VC without them. Gaskets should be available separately, but I'm not sure.

A problem I saw a couple of months ago was a code P0015, which is the Cam position sensor. My reader states it could be a defective sensor, wiring or a loose connector. So I removed the connectors on both sensors and sprayed them with electrical spray. The problem never came back until yesterday. So I sprayed them again as it was the same exact code. I am now deciding on whether to just replace both sensors and be done with it.

So should I replace both sensors, or just the one that is coding, meaning the bank 1 sensor? I usually try to replace parts if there are twins just to be on the safe side, so wondering if this is what is suggested?

I only ask questions because I have not been a Mini Mechanic until she got this car. She has had it about four years and it has been an ok car. I've done quite a lot of work on the car and just want it done correctly. There are no Mini dealerships nearby and the independent shops have taken a lot of her money and done nothing to the car.

There just seems to be so many issues surrounding the Mini that other cars just don't have. Anyway my main concerns right now are the PCV valve question and the Cam position sensors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keep warm everybody and thanks again.

Cheers,

Howie
Can't help with your sensor issue --- no experience.

There are a couple threads showing a VC cut apart to explain the PCV. That's probably what you saw, and assumed something was unfastened to show the parts.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:01 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
This is the N14 Cooper S / JCW engine info on the valve cover and the most updated part for reference:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...over-leak.html

Here is the N12 engine design: 2007-2010 MINI Cooper Base if that helps.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

Newest N12 valve cover:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM
jaggrad
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so you know, I have a 2010 Clubman Base with the N12 engine with 105K miles. Recently, it dumped about a quart of oil out the front Crankshaft seal coming off the freeway. Everything came to a smoking stop! It appeared that the oil was blown out be excess crankcase pressure.
I ordered the Russian membrane and installed it. Still appeared to have excess pressure and didn't fix the problem.
I pried off the "mystery" cap on the middle top of the ValveCover and found that the Poppet valve in there was stuck fast to the ValveCover like it had been glued in place with SuperGlue!!

CCV Valve on N12
I have a new Valve Cover ordered and will replace it when it comes in.