R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Braking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Robin_hood
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braking Issue

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what is going on with my car. I have about 30,000 miles on it and I'm not a driver that aggressively brakes. The problem that I'm having is that when I do brake, my whole car shakes. I brought it into the shop and they said that I don't need calipers or break pads yet.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Cheers

Old 12-10-2015, 09:57 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Vibration under braking is a good indication that you probably have warped rotors. If this is the case, the only way to get rid of this is by replacing your pads/rotors. It may just be the fronts so you might be able to do only those. How much life is left on your pads?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Robin_hood
Neutral
I'm not sure, I'll check that out and let you know.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:39 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Vibration under braking is a good indication that you probably have warped rotors. If this is the case, the only way to get rid of this is by replacing your pads/rotors. It may just be the fronts so you might be able to do only those. How much life is left on your pads?
Second that^
I work at a dealership that sells used cars and often we get cars on test drives that shake under braking. Typically we resurface or simply replace the rotors.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin_hood
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what is going on with my car. I have about 30,000 miles on it and I'm not a driver that aggressively brakes. The problem that I'm having is that when I do brake, my whole car shakes. I brought it into the shop and they said that I don't need calipers or break pads yet.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Cheers

Rotors , then check the LCAB , lower control arm bushings. When they are really bad you will get the shaking.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Warped brake discs a myth...

Is there any such thing as a 'warped' brake disc? Many people will tell you there is, but take a closer look and you might just find that it is just another myth. A widely believed myth, but a myth none the less.
EBC Brakes clearly state that a brake disc or rotor cannot warp:
Uneducated people still say “My rotors are warped”. Well the engineering facts are rotors do not warp, they are made of cast iron, they are very tough and can be run to red heat and cooled time after time and they will not distort, we do this day in day out on our dynos in the EBC lab. source: http://ebcbrakes.com/product/3gd-sport-rotors/
StopTech technicians state the following:
In more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc. source: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
So why do some discs seem like they have warped? The technicians at StopTech state the following:
In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc.
Thats where brake disc skimming can make a big difference. On-wheel disc skimming takes a very thin layer off the disc and matches the disc exactly to the wheel, resulting in a flat and accurate braking surface. No new discs, improved performance, improved braking and significant cast savings - that a win-win-win-WIN situation!
You can locate a garage near you that can carry out disc skimming on our service-centre finder page.

http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/blog/wa...ke-discs-myth/

Google it ...you will find MANY similar

Don't feel bad ... I too fell prey to
"warped rotor" warnings 'till I got smart

Your situation is where you want to do the aggressive 'bedding' procedure I denegrate for routine pad replacement!!!!!

You (probably) have an uneven deposit of pad material on your rotors. SO

find "quick bed" instructions and follow them

you'll probably be OK