R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ragequit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Sandwalk3r
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Ragequit

I'm so fighting mad.

2009 JCW 97,000 miles, and it got towed for the 8th time in 13 months last weekend.

It all originated with a thermostat that went bad Oct of last year.

Mini of Louisville replaced it but did a **** poor job. They never replaced the fastening clip that secured the water pipe to the thermostat.

They didn't screw the air box back into place, and it caused the intake pipe to break at the turbo intake opening.

The coolant never stopped leaking.

So I replaced the water pump and water pipe myself. But the thermostat sensor went bad a couple of months later, so MINI of Louisville fixed it under warranty.

That was 5 months ago. Fresh oil and all fluids topped off.

They told me today that the cause of my problems was low oil. Leak in the oil filter housing.

They claim that damaged the timing chain and guides, which leaves debris in the engine.

They also claim that the low oil is the reason why the coolant is leaking. And that that necessitates a new thermostat, water pump and pipe.

I'm of the opinion that the fact that the coolant was never adequately fixed is why everything else went to hell.

Looking for community opinion here, since I'm up a creek.

They say $4,000 to fix it all, and the car is probably $8,000 in value of it was fixed.

I'm too poor to roll over and take it just because they say it's not their fault.

What do you think would be the root cause?

Them eternally screwing up with my coolant system or a filter housing leak causing everything?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 PM
mrice0118
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there engine damage, or did they just check the oil and noticed it was low...which gave them an out?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Sandwalk3r
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't tell them to do any work, just diagnose. Which means it's conjecture.

There is engine noise, but having already shelled out $3,500 for the timing chain death rattle in the past, it is not the same noise. So perhaps the noise is from low oil, which I assume isn't good.

In the end, I think the car is drivable with a new battery.

And they want like a $600 fee for parts and labor + tax on a new battery...

I want them to finally fix the coolant leak free of charge, since they have worked on it over 13 months and it still leaks.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandwalk3r
In the end, I think the car is drivable with a new battery.
And they want like a $600 fee for parts and labor + tax on a new battery...
Next day or two, wander in to any of the big box auto parts retailers and casually ask what a battery plus installation would cost. Then, ask yourself why in he!! you would allow that dealer to ever turn a wrench on your car again. There's gotta be a reliable independent BMW/MINI shop somewhere close that will analyze the situation and solve the problem instead of throwing parts at it until something sticks.
This doesn't solve your immediate problem but it's a better place to start searching for solutions.