R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What the BOOST TUBES??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:31 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the BOOST TUBES??

Do these aftermarket boost tubes make any difference?

Alta, for example, who has posted in this forum has these silicone boost tubes that "reduce restrictions" and such. At $140, its on the cheaper side of the parts list but if it doesn't do anything that's expensive.

Does it improve power or is it all pretty theoretical?
Also, whats the install time? website says 3 hrs...

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Which engine do you have? N14 or N18? And what year N18? They got rid of the silly noise maker with the N18 (some VERY early N18's still had this however), so you wouldnt "need" the cold side boost tube. Some people do a hot side muffer delete instead.

That being siad, unless you're hitting very high boost levels and tracking the car, you'll beneift very little from these. Basically you'll get more noise (maybe) and slighly less drag from the muffler and noise maker (if you have one).

Also if you do have the noise maker, you can just buy the N18 tube and swap it out for waaaaay cheaper.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 AM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Okay, for sure. I have the N14, so some of what you have said doesn't apply to me personally. I am in the beginning stages of building for a stage two tune so I am trying to prep all the smaller parts of the car (hosing and the like) with the more substantial parts (ie. intercooler, exhaust, etc.). It doesnt sound like these parts are much better than the stock setup.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
$ to benfit isn't there IMO.

Another member on here had the stock tube pop off the upgraded FMIC when doing a track day once. But its hard to know if it was the upgraded FMIC designs fault or if the stock tube couldn't handle the boost for that long.

He replaced the FMIC with a different brand and added the NM Engineering hot side Boost tube at the same time. He hasn't had it happen again. Hard to say if the new boost tube helped or if the different FMIC fixed the issue. Either way hasn't happened since. I think he was stage 3 at the time. I don't remember if he had the larger tubro yet or not.

But like you said, you'll probably ok to leave them, or just do the intercooler muffler delete and call it done. Its just money you could put somewhere else.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Bling....
Its enough for some...
The all show and no go crowd I guess....to each their own.
Lighter wallet= faster car for many....

Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
$ to benfit isn't there IMO.

Another member on here had the stock tube pop off the upgraded FMIC when doing a track day once. But its hard to know if it was the upgraded FMIC designs fault or if the stock tube couldn't handle the boost for that long.

He replaced the FMIC with a different brand and added the NM Engineering hot side Boost tube at the same time. He hasn't had it happen again. Hard to say if the new boost tube helped or if the different FMIC fixed the issue. Either way hasn't happened since. I think he was stage 3 at the time. I don't remember if he had the larger tubro yet or not.

But like you said, you'll probably ok to leave them, or just do the intercooler muffler delete and call it done. Its just money you could put somewhere else.
I hear ya. That all makes sense. I suppose these things are kind of learn as we go. My plans are nothing but stage 2 at this point and that is still many months away, so not concerned about blowing anything...hopefully. I am looking into the intercooler muffler delete, I think that would be a good mod. Thank you for your input, you have saved me a bit of money here.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Regarding the boost tubes in my opinion I don't see how they would benefit at all because you have that section of OEM piping near the dip stick/sensor where it's pinched around the engine mount on passenger side. It's the same as having an exhaust start out at 3" inches then after the resonator having your piping 2.25" inch diameter.