R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Timing Chain Issue? - Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Issue? - Please advise

Hi everyone,
I own a 2009 Mini Cooper S R56 with 61k on the clock, 2nd owner. I have never had any real timing chain noises, and have always been good at keeping the oil topped off and oil changes. I just topped off the oil 2 days ago. It has been cold here and the temperature had ranged from 0-20 degrees.

The past few days I have been getting an engine rattle for a few minutes when I start it in the morning. Then after about 5 minutes the rattle stops.

This is a video of the rattle this morning:

This video is the engine after about 5 minutes:

My question is, does this sound like the death rattle from the timing chain? Since it only seems to do this when very cold, is it something to be concerned about? We have had a couple days of 30-40 degree weather and it does not sound like this this when it is warmer.

I have an appointment in 2 days with my Mini dealer. I already called Mini USA to see if my Mini falls under the Service Action that I read about, and they told me it did not qualify but would not give me the reason (my guess is that the previous owner had a new tensor installed.) They did tell me that if any work needed to be done, I could call them back for a Good Will request.

Given the circumstances, would you go ahead and pay to have them measure the chain and check the guides? What does this usually cost? Given that I am out of warranty and do not qualify for the Service Action, is there a good chance this will be covered or at least part of it would be covered?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from the videos, but the death rattle sounds like a coffee can of bolts. From what I can hear, your sound might be a series of clicks emanating from one source. Is that true?

If your car is out of warranty, and you're not covered by a service campaign or dealer good will, you might consider taking it to a reputable MINI shop: it'll save you a boat load of money. Where are you located?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply!

I'm located in Maryland. It does sound more like a series of clicks, but very loud clicks. Then as can hear in the second video, the sound goes away after it is a bit warmer.

Sorry for the poor audio, it sounds way better on my phone for some reason...

Old 02-24-2015, 08:57 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what our 2013 justa sounds like on cold start in the upper 30's, only it lasts from ten to fifteen minutes before it quietens down. We've been told this is normal.
https://vimeo.com/120077671

Old 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM
MINI MX
2nd Gear
If its the timing belt get rid of your MINI
http://gotaclassaction.com/bmw-named...oper-vehicles/

Old 02-24-2015, 03:37 PM
ti_tony
1st Gear
I think your spring in the tensioner is weak, It smooth's out once the oil pressure pumps the piston body of the tensioner up.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:42 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI MX
If its the timing belt get rid of your MINI
http://gotaclassaction.com/bmw-named...oper-vehicles/
MINIs don't have a timing belt.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Whitt
1st Gear
Location: From Michigan, United States, Currently living in Germany
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude im gonna tell you from experience. mine sounded like that for a long time. it will get worse and that most likely is the timing chain. does the noise speed up/increase as the rams go up? for the longest time i thought it was the hydraulic tensioner that just took a second to tighten it up but that is not the case. the bmws dealers in germany also told me that it wasn't the timing chain. i brought my car home and replaced the tensioner. noise gone. you decide. i say yes, thats the death rattle but I'm new to minis and can only relay info that I've experienced.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:40 PM
GrabPatch
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Wrex21
Hi everyone,
I own a 2009 Mini Cooper S R56 with 61k on the clock, 2nd owner. I have never had any real timing chain noises, and have always been good at keeping the oil topped off and oil changes. I just topped off the oil 2 days ago. It has been cold here and the temperature had ranged from 0-20 degrees.

The past few days I have been getting an engine rattle for a few minutes when I start it in the morning. Then after about 5 minutes the rattle stops.

This is a video of the rattle this morning:
Mini Death Rattle? - YouTube

This video is the engine after about 5 minutes:
After 5 minute warm up - YouTube

My question is, does this sound like the death rattle from the timing chain? Since it only seems to do this when very cold, is it something to be concerned about? We have had a couple days of 30-40 degree weather and it does not sound like this this when it is warmer.

I have an appointment in 2 days with my Mini dealer. I already called Mini USA to see if my Mini falls under the Service Action that I read about, and they told me it did not qualify but would not give me the reason (my guess is that the previous owner had a new tensor installed.) They did tell me that if any work needed to be done, I could call them back for a Good Will request.

Given the circumstances, would you go ahead and pay to have them measure the chain and check the guides? What does this usually cost? Given that I am out of warranty and do not qualify for the Service Action, is there a good chance this will be covered or at least part of it would be covered?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Wrex,

I think I'm in the same boat as you, in an R53 however. Also, I did as mentioned above and changed the timing chain tensioner and the sound is still there. Next to check/replace is my supercharger belt tensioner. Listen to the sound. From what I've seen, timing chain issues cause the sound to become louder and faster as you increase in RPMs. I don't hear a change when I give it some gas in neutral. Also, I feel like the sound is coming from the outside and I think I see the belt tensioner rattling in idle with the hood popped. Until a pro chimes in for us, I suppose it's trial and error. I'll let you know how it goes when I replace the supercharger belt tensioner.

Cheers,
GP

Old 02-25-2015, 12:39 AM
ti_tony
1st Gear
I think you haven't broken any of the rails yet. When the piston in the tensioner pumps up the noise goes away. If you break a rail the noise won't go away. A good shop will change that for $250.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Club77
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just wondering is the N18 engine have this same issue?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:57 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Club77
Just wondering is the N18 engine have this same issue?
The N18 has the same timing chain assembly with an updated tensioners. They have made several attempts at improving the tensioner, time will only tell if they have finally got it right.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Okay. Here is an update:

I took the car into the dealer this morning. I explained the noise situation, showed them the video, and the first thing they said was, "Yep, that's the timing chain rattle." So if anyone needs a reference to the rattle, the first video is it. They are replacing the tensioner. I know I could have done it myself, but I wanted to make sure if anything does happen with the chain in the future that it ultimately comes back to them and they have record of it, especially since there is a class action lawsuit for this in the court system right now.

Before I bought the car, apparently the whole chain assembly was replaced so that was why I didn't qualify for the Service Action. Apparently a new tensioner design has come out within the past several months that is greatly improved? That is what they told me...

Oh yes and I had the typical thermostat/coolant leak problem as well. I noticed that when I popped the bonnet the other day...

Thanks again for your replies!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are they replacicing for free? My dealer warrants parts for 2 years so when my turbo oil line failed for the second time that it was covered under the parts warranty.

You might want to see if the existing tensioner is within the parts warranty. Good luck.