R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 N16 as replacement for 2009 N12?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
N16 as replacement for 2009 N12?

I was wondering if I could put a 2011 n16 engine into my 2009 hatch which has a toasted n12...

I found this in another post but couldn't find any other relevant info...

"Difference from n12 to n16 is a change in the oil pump. They added a solenoid that comes from inside and comes out of the block to the wiring harness. No trouble with timing chain issues for the naturally aspirated..."

Old 10-19-2014, 11:14 AM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
The main reason is that I have access to a virtually new n16 at a great price but don't want to buy it until I have some Idea if the wiring for the solenoid is compatible.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Dealer Pros?

are there any dealer pros that could help me out here?
would really appreciate some insight. thanks

Old 06-13-2019, 08:16 PM
wascobi
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how many years has this question been asked now? if someone knows, they are not talking. I've got an N16 sitting in my garage to replace the N12 in my 2007. I don't want to spend $600 cdn on a new N12 oil pump for the N16 if its going to have the classic low oil pressure. Ive called six different mini service centres. not one of them knows what im talking about when I ask about swap. idiots, or idiot posers.I might just drop it in and start it with the oil pump solenoid unplugged. with a pressure gauge of course. pretty sure its a spring-loaded on/off affair.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
As you said, the difference is the oil pump and thr relocation of the oil pressure sensor. You could just swap you N12 pump, oil filter housing, and oil pressure sensor. The N16 just has a removable plug where the oil pressure sensor would map to in the N12. Some sonsors might have a round-ish plug vs square-ish plug.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:30 PM
wascobi
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
using the vacuum pump and thermo rom the N16 blocks the oil pressure sender plug in the head. there will be a solution once I stare at it long enough.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:54 AM
TracyL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up on N16 swap for N12

Hi, I was hoping to hear the results from replacing the N12 for N16? I just bought a 2010 Mini base Convertible privately and took it to the mini dealer for inspection and overall check. On the way there, the oil light was coming on when I downshifted at higher than rpms. Dealer indicated it was the wrong engine in the car it was a N16 not a N12. They inspected it and it passed emissions but their answer for the oil light is its the wrong engine and I need to replace the engine! Other than the oil light the engine runs great, and the timing chain was replaced(per mini dealer) also the compressor is not connected? Has anyone encountered this? I seen in a prior thread that you could " just swap your N12 pump, oil filter housing, and oil pressure sensor". Is this what is needed to correct the oil light? Can the A/C compressor work with the existing wiring harness?

Old 07-28-2021, 04:03 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TracyL
Hi, I was hoping to hear the results from replacing the N12 for N16? I just bought a 2010 Mini base Convertible privately and took it to the mini dealer for inspection and overall check. On the way there, the oil light was coming on when I downshifted at higher than rpms. Dealer indicated it was the wrong engine in the car it was a N16 not a N12. They inspected it and it passed emissions but their answer for the oil light is its the wrong engine and I need to replace the engine! Other than the oil light the engine runs great, and the timing chain was replaced(per mini dealer) also the compressor is not connected? Has anyone encountered this? I seen in a prior thread that you could " just swap your N12 pump, oil filter housing, and oil pressure sensor". Is this what is needed to correct the oil light? Can the A/C compressor work with the existing wiring harness?
Attach pictures of the engine.

Ac compressor isn't an issue, they all have the same plug.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:47 AM
TracyL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Attach pictures of the engine.

Ac compressor isn't an issue, they all have the same plug.
Hi, Im sorry the car has been at either the dealer or now another private garage since Ive gotten it so I apologize I have no pictures of the engine. The garage suggests to replace the oil pump and sending unit to solve the oil light. My concern now is if they replace the oil pump and sending unit do they put a N12 oil pump and sending unit that was OEM for that year or do they us a N16 that matches the engine. How do you assess whether its a communication issue causing the oil light or truly the oil pump not properly working in the engine or that it has the wrong oil pump??

Old 08-11-2021, 12:02 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TracyL
Hi, Im sorry the car has been at either the dealer or now another private garage since Ive gotten it so I apologize I have no pictures of the engine. The garage suggests to replace the oil pump and sending unit to solve the oil light. My concern now is if they replace the oil pump and sending unit do they put a N12 oil pump and sending unit that was OEM for that year or do they us a N16 that matches the engine. How do you assess whether its a communication issue causing the oil light or truly the oil pump not properly working in the engine or that it has the wrong oil pump??
Not having pictures is ok as long as you can accurately describe the engine.

Is the vacuum pump thin or thick?

do you see a sensor right above the thermostat temp sensor?

can you see a sensor connected to the oil filter housing?

if you answer yes to all of these plus think vacuum pump, then it is the N16 engine. If they really know what they're doing, they should connect a pressure gauge to see the numbers not take a guess specially when you have to pay for that.

Now, having said that, they should install the N16 oil pump without ifs or buts.

Last point, is there a dot next to the mileage? how was the swap done?

I already did this kind of swap and didn't have issues. the ecu was modified to work with the original CAS/immobilizer and keyfob.