R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Complete Tune Up/Cooling System Overhaul: What else should I do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM
suprtran
Moderator :: Racing & Competion Forums
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete Tune Up/Cooling System Overhaul: What else should I do??

I'm about to perform a complete major service on my 65k mile MCS. I'm doing the following:
  • Engine oil service
  • Transmission fluid flush
  • Coolant flush
  • New valve cover gasket
  • New drive belt
  • New fuel filter
  • New cabin filter
  • New spark plugs
  • New ignition coils
  • New thermostat housing + thermostat kit
  • New water pump
  • New expansion tank
  • New AEM CAI

Are there anything else I should replace/perform while I'm taking care of all of the above?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suprtran
I'm about to perform a complete major service on my 65k mile MCS. I'm doing the following:
  • Engine oil service
  • Transmission fluid flush
  • Coolant flush
  • New valve cover gasket
  • New drive belt
  • New fuel filter
  • New cabin filter
  • New spark plugs
  • New ignition coils
  • New thermostat housing + thermostat kit
  • New water pump
  • New expansion tank
  • New AEM CAI

Are there anything else I should replace/perform while I'm taking care of all of the above?

Thanks in advance
Wow, your parts supply guys will LOVE you

Some of the things on your list are desirable 60K maintenance items (engine and tranny oil flush, spark plugs, filters).
Some of the items are good preventative maintenance steps if time and budget allow: (thermostat and water pump), and coolant flush with drive belt are "while you are in there" additions.

Some of the items should be tackled only if they are showing signs of wear or are leaking (valve cover gasket, expansion, ignition coils). Same with pads, rotors, and tires.

Some are missing: brake fluid flush every 2 years or before a DE.

If you are thinking of throwing money at upgrades, skip the CAI and focus on the suspension. Your shocks are about to give up the ghost, and there are many better quality suspension pieces on the market than OEM replacements.

a

Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 AM
suprtran
Moderator :: Racing & Competion Forums
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
Wow, your parts supply guys will LOVE you

Some of the things on your list are desirable 60K maintenance items (engine and tranny oil flush, spark plugs, filters).
Some of the items are good preventative maintenance steps if time and budget allow: (thermostat and water pump), and coolant flush with drive belt are "while you are in there" additions.

Some of the items should be tackled only if they are showing signs of wear or are leaking (valve cover gasket, expansion, ignition coils). Same with pads, rotors, and tires.

Some are missing: brake fluid flush every 2 years or before a DE.

If you are thinking of throwing money at upgrades, skip the CAI and focus on the suspension. Your shocks are about to give up the ghost, and there are many better quality suspension pieces on the market than OEM replacements.

a
A, thanks for the information. Haha, I do have a good relationship with my local dealer's parts guy. I've known him for years and he gives me great prices.

Seems I have virtually everything covered except for brake service, which will get done in the near future. I had to upgrade the CAI immediately, because the dealer cited a repaired (previously cracked) turbo inlet tube as being the culprit for a recent CEL. Suspension is next on list.

Last edited by suprtran; 06-05-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:17 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suprtran
Seems I have virtually everything covered except for brake service, which will get done in the near future. I had to upgrade the CAI immediately, because the dealer cited a repaired (previously cracked) turbo inlet tube as being the culprit for a recent CEL. Suspension is next on list.
CAI will not fix your inlet tube crack.
Air intakes usually replace parts (sometimes everything) upstream of the HFM. Turbo inlet tube is downstream.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&hg=13&fg=20

a

Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 PM
QatarJCWR53
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oops wrong thread

Old 10-04-2018, 01:39 AM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
I did all the same things on my '09 at about 65k miles. I'd say you are on the right track. If you are replacing the thermostat and the water pump, you should replace the water pipe that connects the two, also.

Also, when I serviced the transmission, I changed the filter, also. It makes for a bigger job, but you probably won't have to touch it again for another 70k miles.

And, the only other thing I can think of that I did around the same time was that I carbon-blasted the intake valves, so you might want to consider that as well. You will probably have significant build-up at 65k.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:30 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I would add :

*ARP head studs

..your already going to have the valve cover off.. may as well pull the whole head, re-gasket, check pistons, install studs and head. You will be able to clean the valves up super easy with the head off, as well - you will NEVER have to replace the ARP hardware and not have to worry about the stupid OEM stretch bolts getting old and lifting.