R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 jack stands and missing jack points

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM
djenks76
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack stands and missing jack points

So I got everything to change all my brakes and rotors. When I ordered all the stuff, I also made sure that all the jack points were in tact. I started to do the work last night, but I guess with all the snow and ice from the last few weeks, the jack points are now missing. Should I wait for replacement to show up or is it ok to use jack stands without the jack points?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
you could cut some blocks of wood to serve as the jack point pads --- I actually have blocks that fit inside of the jacking blocks and allow the jack saddle to stay away from the plastic block's edges . . .

Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djenks76
So I got everything to change all my brakes and rotors. When I ordered all the stuff, I also made sure that all the jack points were in tact. I started to do the work last night, but I guess with all the snow and ice from the last few weeks, the jack points are now missing. Should I wait for replacement to show up or is it ok to use jack stands without the jack points?

Thanks!
Put a hockey puck in your jack saddle, and they will provide all the protection and extra grip you need to safely lift the car. I used them even with the plastic jack saddles in place.
It also helps if your jack stands have flat (vs. saddle) tops.
I would order replacement jack points sooner or later regardless.

a

Old 02-19-2014, 04:47 PM
djenks76
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the replacement points but will have to do my brakes before they arrive. Unfortunately, the only hockey puck I have is one I caught at a Caps games. I will have to check out the only sporting goods store in my area to see if they carry them.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djenks76
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the replacement points but will have to do my brakes before they arrive. Unfortunately, the only hockey puck I have is one I caught at a Caps games. I will have to check out the only sporting goods store in my area to see if they carry them.
FWIW, I've used the same hockey puck for 15+ years on BMWs, Mini-vans, and now MINI. They are practically indestructible
If ****'s doesn't have them, the local skating rink will.

I know yours is kinda special, but in all likelihood, you wont be able to tell the difference after using it to hold up your car.

a