R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Terrible, Terrible News!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terrible, Terrible News!

Hello everyone- I am sad to report yesterday evening poor little Cary Cooper was "pronounced dead at the scene" when he was struck by a TEXTING ****** in a VW GTI in Woodbridge, VA. I was in heavy traffic, when I was rear-ended, pushing poor Cary into a Ford F150 which in turn was pushed into a Ford Explorer. What was baffling was that it was not a sudden slowing. The GTI was behind the entire time in very heavy stop-and-go traffic
along with everyone else. Evidently he was texting and didn't notice we were SLOWLY moving forward creating a small gap - he stomped on the gas pedal and didn't even touch his brake.. Thankfully a county police officer was literally right across the street and saw the entire thing and ticketed the ******, but no help for Cary - my insurance company determined Cary is a total loss and are hauling him away today to a salvage yard. Now starts the insurance process. Yes, I'm okay and thankfully nobody was injured. I think the GTI is totaled too so at least that's comforting somewhat :-). At any rate I'm sure Cary would want to thank all his "mates" at NAM. Rest in peace, Cary! Yes, we will very likely purchase another MINI so will keep you all posted what we wind up with.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one hurt is great! Having your car totaled, aside the inconvenience, you get a new MINI!!!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very glad the MINI did a good job protecting you and you're okay. Sorry about the loss, but the silver lining is that it's giving you the opportunity to enjoy a new MINI.

I was actually rear-ended in that very neck of the woods a few years ago (on I-95 just south of the Prince William Pkwy) but had two things going for me: (1) traffic was stop-and-go so the collision was not all that violent; and (2) I was driving an old beater Hyundai to which I had no particular affection.

I was wondering...any chance of your reclaiming any of the aftermarket parts on poor Cary?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
At least get the hula girl bobble!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the loss. As others have noted though, the good thing is you are ok.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
That IS terrible news and thankfully you are okay! Cary's memory will live on. On the bright side, yay for a new MINI!

Old 12-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad

I was wondering...any chance of your reclaiming any of the aftermarket parts on poor Cary?
Actually, in this case - yes to all aftermarket parts. Because the dealer where I take (er... Took) it to has a complete record of what they installed (everything), and because the condition of our Cary was exceptional (not to mention our insurance is fantastic), I will nearly recoup it all.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
At least get the hula girl bobble!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the loss. As others have noted though, the good thing is you are ok.
It was devistating to lose Cary - he was part of the family like so many of these MINIs are so I wasn't thinking too straight when I saw the damage. Thankfully when my wife came to pick me up (after she burst into tears) was sharper than I was and took the hula girl - it's at least safe and sound

Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 PM
ColaTownMini
2nd Gear
Reminds me of when I went with my son to see his totaled '04 Mach1....the shift **** was all he could salvage. I'm glad you're OK!