R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Coming out of warranty soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM
R53
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Coming out of warranty soon

So my R56 FJCW is out of warranty soon and I dont plan on extending it.

What I would like to know is what should I book the car in for before it expires?

Is there anything I can tell the SA to look at etc?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I think it depends on the relationship you have with your SA, sorta. I mean they want to find problems with your car. They don't necessarily care who pays for it, right?

Go over the car yourself, oil leaks, water leaks, anything you think is funny. Any leakage on the garage floor?

I went in several times and kind of hinted around at the symptom..... there was oil on the garage floor on the drivers, towards the front.... resulted in a new vacuum pump.
Just before my 100K warranty expired on time @ 86K, I went in and asked them to go over the car with a fine tooth comb. I couldn't really give them much in the way of symptomatic since I did that about 10 times and got everything fixed - several thousands worth of fixes, and they didn't find anything specific but I did end up with a new valve cover installed. I truthfully told the SA that a few times after starting, it would just quit. Start back up and be fine. Very intermittent.... Got me a loaner and the car in the shop for several days and the valve cover.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^+1

If they don't find anything wrong, they won't replace it. My thermostat housing went out over 50k miles and my timing chain seems to be the updated verison, so no work was performed on it while I had my warranty.

I've done all fluids, brakes, and hardware work either from my friend's shop or myself. A bentley manual will be your best friend moving forward after the warranty expires.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I have less than a year left on my warranty. Anyone know about how much it costs to extend it?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:59 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
I have less than a year left on my warranty. Anyone know about how much it costs to extend it?
Depends on if you go with the MINI warranty or a 3rd party. If you go 3rd party see wheat your dealership sells and not some scummy place online or people that will call you as your mileage is going up. I had one on my R50 and it paid for it self many times over. I know my dealer had a good relationship with the claims department of the one they sold so I opted for it. I had 4 claims in 9 months time totally $11k in repairs, I paid 4 deductibles of $250. Paid $1300 for the policy and then got $800 back when I canceled it before it ran out when I sold the car.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:59 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
My opinion they are worth the money in most cases if you keep the car for a couple more years. That 40k - 60K mile gap after factory warranty runs out is pretty critical and that is where a lot of stuff has the potential to wear out or break. The after market plans scare the heck out of me but I'm sure there are good ones out there. Dealer consultation is a good idea. Read the fine print! Before mine expired I had warranty claims probably in the $7-8K range. That was in 15 months.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by R53
So my R56 FJCW is out of warranty soon and I dont plan on extending it.

What I would like to know is what should I book the car in for before it expires?

Is there anything I can tell the SA to look at etc?
Definitely "complain"/take care of the following to get the following expensive "they all do it" issues before the warranty runs out. Shop different dealers if you must to get it done, if you must:
#1 == new timing chain and tensioner. Complaint: "car runs and sounds rough like a diesel when cold". Upside: ~$2K of parts and (90%) labor.
#2 == new turbo oil cool line. Complaint: oil dampness on top of the turbo where oil line connects (dampness appears ~10K before enough oil comes out for you to smell burning oil). Upside: ~$800 of parts and (90%) labor.
#3 == new thermostat housing & water pump. Get creative here, though this issue is hard to fake.

The above 3 issues are virtually guaranteed to hit your R56 between 40-60K miles. Its up to you whether you will get it done under warranty, DIY (if you are up to it), or pay a competent independent to get it done for 1/2 the dealer price.

Personally, I would NEVER buy any MINI warranty that forces me to take the car back to the dealers in NNJ area. They are beyond clueless.

Hope this helps,
a