R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Am I crazy, or is this just standard dealer garbage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy, or is this just standard dealer garbage?

Today, I had an experience at the dealership, MINI of Tinley Park, Illinois.

Background: 2012 MCS, took delivery 1 year and 4 days ago. 21,600 miles. Bought new from this dealer, has been serviced only at this dealer.

Oil changes:
5,200 miles (out of pocket)
11,340 miles (out of pocket)
14,709 (mini maintenance)
21,568 (Today, out of pocket)

The story is this. I want to keep my oil change intervals around 5-6k miles as a lot of us do. I did two at the dealer on my dime, then the dealer picked up one when the service indicator started to say "service" above the yellow mini silhouette at start-up and showing 1200 miles til change. No problems. No fuss. No hassle.

I go in there today for service, my service indicator says 300 miles til change, with the word "service" above the yellow silhouette at start-up just like last time. They tell me they can't change it because there's still 300 miles to go. I explain to them that my work schedule is such that I cannot always make it into the dealer, sometimes for weeks upon weeks at a time due to business hours vs work hours. I also explain that last time I didn't have to bring the indicator down to zero before they changed it and that although it may be early "in the system", I am going on a trip with the car this weekend and will be way past that mileage by the time I have a chance to come back again to change it. Still no budge.

I then have them pull up the service history and show them that I've paid for oil changes in the past on my own dime when they actually are early, and have no problem continuing to do so. But this time I feel like they know how I am about my car and they know that if my story of leaving town is true, and they tell me no, I will just go ahead and shell out the cash anyway so that I don't go any further than I already have on this oil.

What I would like to know is, could the dealer have done it regardless? Could they have overridden the system to allow it being that the circumstance would cause me to go way past the 7k miles it already has.

I just feel like I had to pay unnecessarily and that the dealer should've been able to cut he some slack. I was only being honest with them.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This has happened to me before, I wanted to bring it in a few hundred miles early for an oil change and was told to call them when the computer says its due.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
We've had no issues getting the oil changed a few hundred miles early

Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The general routine for most owners wanting extra oil changes...
Do it...keep a receipt... But do not have the cars computer reset...and most do it at a 3rd party...then MOST dealers will do the service within a set number of miles being due...dome make you wait till it is zero left...or negative. Sorry you seem to have a crappy dealer.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
I think I am the victim of knowing too much about cars syndrome....

I used an example with them and said "so lets pretend I don't know what I'm talking about, I come in here, ask for an oil change before my road trip, you tell me ' no, you don't need one' and I go on my way and go on my trip, then the thing starts making noise and I bring it back and what would you do? Tell me that it's my fault cause I'm over my mileage?! I'm trying to tell you that I know I'm going to go over when I go on this trip and you're still telling me it's too early."

They told me they can't do it. So then I said "listen, you and I both know this magic number of miles on the dash isn't actual miles, if you want I'll take it out back and rev the dog **** out of it until the miles say zero and then you can change it" and they're all "no no don't do that"... So I said "ok then change the f*ckin oil!!!?!" "But the computer says it's not due." "Okay, forget the computer, just change it, I'll pay for it and don't reset the damn board computer just cause its close."

AND on top of all that, I've never had them wash the car cause it's black and I only hand wash it... They know this, it's in the service record *customer requests NO WASH*...They pull it up when it's done and it's clean... I walked up to the counter "Who the ***** told you to wash this car with those nasty *** brushes on my goddamn paint!?!"

Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled.

I just called MINI USA and they were less than helpful as well. "Well Sir, BMW has spent a lot of money on research and testing and they've determined this is the best interval." I'm telling you that I recognize the interval and want to get it done early before I drive on a road trip so it doesn't go thousands of miles over and you're telling me I can get it done at any mini dealer along my way as if you're Ford Motor Company and have a dealer every 15 miles along any road in America. You're MINI, you don't have that many dealers, and you're insane for thinking I would inconvenience my family in the middle of a road trip to get an oil change just because you won't do it a couple hundred miles early at the dealership by my house 4 days before I leave."

I'm telling you, these people are morons. All of them. They just don't understand.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've told my dealer to not to wash and they still do, now I have some kind of wax stains on my black grille and on my silver stripe on the roof prob from spray wax globs

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
IME - btw an owner since 2002 - the window for the dealer on oil service is 300 miles. IME the car must be inside a 300 miles per the service indicator B4 they will be reimbursed by MINI CORP {key fob reports that junk .... big brother is watching}. Beyond that no - altho there can be exceptions like "leaving for vacation"; or "car was in for other service" if your dealer is creative.

IMO that's the catch .... when MINI will pay the dealer.

I recall a discussion I had with the GM of a MINI dealership: I don't make anything selling cars, I make money in the service department . . . .

Reminds me of WAY BACK when I worked in a movie theater. The manager made minimum wage so far as running the theater was concerned .... but kept all the profit from the concession stand. Now U know why you pay $30 for 10 cents worth of popcorn at the movies . .

But THEN there is another factor .... how's your relationship with the dealership?????

Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the sounds of it, he bought the car there, has PAID them for unscheduled oil changes for his own comfort without issue, and they've done a scheduled oil change with more miles on the counter before. Sounds to me like a good customer, personally. Just my input.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
IME - btw an owner since 2002 - the window for the dealer on oil service is 300 miles. IME the car must be inside a 300 miles per the service indicator B4 they will be reimbursed by MINI CORP {key fob reports that junk .... big brother is watching}. Beyond that no - altho there can be exceptions like "leaving for vacation"; or "car was in for other service" if your dealer is creative. IMO that's the catch .... when MINI will pay the dealer. I recall a discussion I had with the GM of a MINI dealership: I don't make anything selling cars, I make money in the service department . . . . Reminds me of WAY BACK when I worked in a movie theater. The manager made minimum wage so far as running the theater was concerned .... but kept all the profit from the concession stand. Now U know why you pay $30 for 10 cents worth of popcorn at the movies . . But THEN there is another factor .... how's your relationship with the dealership?????
Up until this point I THOUGHT my relationship was good. I bought the car from them, I came in at 5k and expressed my concern for the long interval and we talked about how I'm shooting for 5-6k intervals and wouldn't mind paying for them out of pocket until the OBC said one was due. So I paid for one at 5k, paid for one at 11k, they did one at 14.5k-ish when the first OBC cycle was up. Now this is the 2nd OBC cycle and it's been about 7k miles since the last one and they're fussing over 300 miles left on the countdown.

I don't get it, I'm not one of those customers that comes in every weekend with a petty complaint about a rattle or squeak or anything. I've never been in there to pester them, I've only gone in there to spend money on the legitimately early oil changes, buy a JCW Shift **** or some shirts, look at floor mats, and be on my way. Hell, the one time I went in there for the first OBC oil change, they told me I was due for a free set of wipers and I told them to keep them cause I had just put some on myself so I didn't need them. Figured why waste a good set of wipers.

I don't feel like I'm trying to get something for free, I'm just trying to get my oil done a tiny bit early (300 miles) before I go on a trip. I've had the car just barely over a year and done 21,600 miles, I want to keep the thing running for a long time. Plus, it's not like I didn't pay for it upfront anyway, we all know that maintenance plan is worked into the cost of the car.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be entirely honest, if I had gotten that kind of road block from a service department that I've been good to up to that point, I would NOT have paid them to do this oil change. I would have found another MINI dealer(not sure how far that would be for you though), told them the situation and what the other dealership said, and tried there. If they gave a bit of fuss, I'd pay THEM if I had to. Simply out of spite for the crap treatment from a dealership you have supported up to that point.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:29 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
To be entirely honest, if I had gotten that kind of road block from a service department that I've been good to up to that point, I would NOT have paid them to do this oil change. I would have found another MINI dealer(not sure how far that would be for you though), told them the situation and what the other dealership said, and tried there. If they gave a bit of fuss, I'd pay THEM if I had to. Simply out of spite for the crap treatment from a dealership you have supported up to that point.
This definitely crossed my mind in the moment. The problem is, I'm a truck driver. I'm hardly ever home from work early enough where any dealer is open. I also have a 12 year old daughter that is in travel and local softball leagues and my Saturdays (when I'm not working) are usually slammed packed with driving from one field to another for up to three games per day. I happened to be free for a couple hours today from work and this is/was my only real opportunity to get it done. I didn't and don't have time to drive the 2 hour round trip to the next closest dealer, unfortunately. But I will most likely be in contact with them in the future.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:29 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise
I think I am the victim of knowing too much about cars syndrome....

I used an example with them and said "so lets pretend I don't know what I'm talking about, I come in here, ask for an oil change before my road trip, you tell me ' no, you don't need one' and I go on my way and go on my trip, then the thing starts making noise and I bring it back and what would you do? Tell me that it's my fault cause I'm over my mileage?! I'm trying to tell you that I know I'm going to go over when I go on this trip and you're still telling me it's too early."

They told me they can't do it. So then I said "listen, you and I both know this magic number of miles on the dash isn't actual miles, if you want I'll take it out back and rev the dog **** out of it until the miles say zero and then you can change it" and they're all "no no don't do that"... So I said "ok then change the f*ckin oil!!!?!" "But the computer says it's not due." "Okay, forget the computer, just change it, I'll pay for it and don't reset the damn board computer just cause its close."

AND on top of all that, I've never had them wash the car cause it's black and I only hand wash it... They know this, it's in the service record *customer requests NO WASH*...They pull it up when it's done and it's clean... I walked up to the counter "Who the ***** told you to wash this car with those nasty *** brushes on my goddamn paint!?!"

Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled.

I just called MINI USA and they were less than helpful as well. "Well Sir, BMW has spent a lot of money on research and testing and they've determined this is the best interval." I'm telling you that I recognize the interval and want to get it done early before I drive on a road trip so it doesn't go thousands of miles over and you're telling me I can get it done at any mini dealer along my way as if you're Ford Motor Company and have a dealer every 15 miles along any road in America. You're MINI, you don't have that many dealers, and you're insane for thinking I would inconvenience my family in the middle of a road trip to get an oil change just because you won't do it a couple hundred miles early at the dealership by my house 4 days before I leave."

I'm telling you, these people are morons. All of them. They just don't understand.
Dude that's crazy! When I used to let the dealer wash my car, they hand washed that sexy car of mine. I feel bad for whoever used that brush to wash not only your car but others!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Regardless of all this experience, I feel like ultimately I'd like to rectify the situation and continue getting the car serviced there. Not only because it's the closest dealer to my house, but also because the technician there that has done all my oil changes is a MINIac himself, he's got an absolutely trick R53, I've spent some time talking with him and although he came off as an *** at first, I like him. He knows these cars, especially modified ones.

This is the first car I've had that I've not done my own maintenance on (did do all the mod installs though!). I generally don't like anyone touching any of my cars, but I feel confident letting this guy wrench on the Mini, cause it's obvious that he's passionate about them.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
OP, same thing happened to me. I wanted to do my oil change at my 36k miles since my warranty was going to be up afterwards. My work schedule didn't permit me to go in and I did have some time before it came up, but by the time I made my appointment I came in with 36,060. 60 miles! Because of that, I had to pay out of pocket for the oil change which they wouldn't even budge.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure the service indicator is/was really for an oil change? I'm trying to figure out why the computer calculated the first one at ~ 15k miles and the second one only ~6k miles later. Is it possible it was some other service that was due, which was why they wouldn't budge on the oil change?

In any case, sounds like some poor customer service and/or communication on the part of the dealership staff. Sorry you have had to put up with it.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Kevlar7R
2nd Gear
My dealer told me they are authorized to do it anytime it is under 2000 miles to go. Now, as far as who is authorizing it, I don't know.

I had mine in for something else, wasn't planning on oil service. They noticed I was 1900 miles to go, so they just did it. Maybe they handle it differently here in the desert some the heat is so rough on cars out here.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 to jcauseyfd. Required oil changes at 14,709 and again at 21,568 makes no sense at all.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Are you sure the service indicator is/was really for an oil change? I'm trying to figure out why the computer calculated the first one at ~ 15k miles and the second one only ~6k miles later. Is it possible it was some other service that was due, which was why they wouldn't budge on the oil change? In any case, sounds like some poor customer service and/or communication on the part of the dealership staff. Sorry you have had to put up with it.
Yeah, it seems weird but it makes sense because when I bought the car it was programmed for 15k interval and then at its first OBC service it got a software update to the new 10k interval. It was confirmed to me by their printout that oil service is being indicated and is due in < 300 miles.

But whatever. It is what it is.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Write a letter to the General Manager of the dealership. Express your disappointment, and also that when you get that survey, you'll be brutally honest, unless he reimburses you for that oil change. That's absurd.

And I would be HORRIFIED if they washed my car. One of my friends has a sort of sign that he puts in the windows of the car, on the inside, that says DO NOT WASH. Because it's such an assembly line, they may not see your paperwork before they grab it and wash it.

Good idea, isn't it?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Two Cents.....

My two cents......

I am still waiting on my Mini S Coupe to be delivered. But like you I am paranoid about dealers and car care.

When I bought my BMW I was so paranoid I got a job on weekends as car porter to just be able to watch the shop. I wanted to get real comfortable so I could leave my car there. Will I be working at Mini? My real job is a CPA.

I don't mind paying for oil changes. If I have 100 miles left I don't mind paying as the next one is free. I get that the dealer is driven by Mini reimbursement. Maybe no excuse, but that is politics.

To date I have spoken to Way Motor Works and Sport Motoring as Dealer Alternatives.

I was also told that the initial oil in my Mini was different and that the first oil change had to be done by the dealer so as not to void the warranty. Nice to know and the feedback I got was very good.

I would not like the dealer to wash mine either and I can see myself standing by the auto car wash just waiting....

Or watching the car via Blackvue over Wifi on my iTouch. Car dash cam system with app for parking mode.

Not to beat up the dealers too bad, I just need a place where I can take Mini for service and wait. Work via Wifi while I wait like I did at Toyota. And have the car returned clean AS I LEFT IT.

Again, I have to wear suits to work, white shirts, cuff links. I can't look like I crawled around the engine. But thanks to my Griots order my engine should be as clean as the interior!

Silly and strange, I just want to wait and have the car returned clean. No, I don't care if they vacuum it but it should never need any cleaning. Please, oh please just return it with no oil or grim on the steering wheel or door panels.

BMW was very good that way and so was Toyota.

I once had an issue, took pictures of how the car was returned. Went inside and pulled cleaner off the shelf and started detailing the car right there! The dealer was even willing to give me the products free. I had a good relationship with the GM there. They even put specific notes in the computer and double check the car before it was returned to me in the future.

The alternative would have been taking the car to a detailer and billing the dealer through my attorney.

Yes I am OCD! I am visiting alternative shops and I have not even got the car yet. I am sure the dealer will be fine and will carry my own detailing supplies in the trunk. That is there more for the birds and stuff just in case, but if there is an oops I got it covered.

The basic thing I learned is that others I have called recommend oil changes more frequently with the S model. It can also use oil so be careful. Not a lot but if you stick to the only free oil changes the oil can start to turn to sludge.

I would rather spend the extra $$$ and sleep better taking care of Mini. A few free oil changes are just a nice plus

Old 06-18-2013, 04:21 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a bum experience. Every type of service has its own window of when the dealership can do it and get paid back by MINI USA. I know I have had brakes and oil changes done as long as I was under 2k miles to service.

Politely discussing your issue with the GM might get some good response as it sounds like MINI USA was not to helpful in this case; they seem to be 50/50 on success.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You are being hosed. If the service advisor says no, the first thing I would do is talk to the service manager. If they don't help, then the general manager, and a call to MINI USA.

300 miles is well within the service window for MINI to pay for the service.

All that said, it sure seems like a lot of trouble for about $45 in oil and a filter...

But then there is the time value of money... If it takes you 2 hours of dicking around to get a $45 service for free, and you make $45/hr, was the service really free?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 AM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is your car still set to the 15k oil service I thought they updated the 12s to the lower one?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Mymojomini
2nd Gear
Being a Service Advisor for a Mini Dealership I would like to give you my point of view.
I am a Mini employee as well as a Mini owner.
I am a firm beleiver in 5,000 mile oil changes.Yes it is synthetic oil but these engines,especially turbos can consume some oil,so I want to know that my oil is clean and full. I will pay for the service until it comes due and then the dealer will pay for what comesup due.
If I have a client that comes in and their key says that they are 1,900 miles away from an oil change then I will have it done as they give a 2,000 mile grace period.
If hey come in and it says 2,100 mile until next service but they explain that they are going on a trip and will not be able to bring it in,then we would note that on the repair order and take care of it.
I see mention of a $45.00 oil and filter change. I sure hope they are doing it correctly as these car take full synthetic oil and a fleece filter which the parts alone are more than that. A normal oil /filter service generally runs $114.00.

As far as washing,we have an automated wash but we also do hand wash for certain clients upon request. However it does usually take longer to do.

Hope that helps clear things up.....

Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Oil Change

Mymojomini

Thanks so much for sharing. Yes, that is my thought. 5,000 miles period. It can't hurt and I don't mind paying whatever the price is for the service.

I want no issues with the dealership, I am sure they are between a rock and a hard place at times. Some more flexible than others.

I would rather build a good relationship with the dealer than be the complaining customer. In the long run I see that to my advantage.

I would not loose it either over the washing. Just look into a good orbital polisher and some polish to get any swirl marks out. Can see videos at Griots Garage and other places. Just about anything can be fixed.

So far the dealership has been fine with the purchase. I walked over to chat with service and they explained the check in and using the key fob for info. Very helpful and genuinely nice people. Wonderful waiting area and good coffee too!

Approaching staff with the right attitude I should be just fine.

Quick Reply: R56 Am I crazy, or is this just standard dealer garbage?