R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 f56, 8-speed auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, just opinions. There are options available to us for a reason. Pick one and enjoy the car.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Yup, just opinions. There are options available to us for a reason. Pick one and enjoy the car.
Amen!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 AM
speck47
1st Gear
I just picked up a Cooper S with an Auto after driving manual for 6 years. I'm enjoying the Auto. The Mini's transmission is doing the job well and seems to pick the right shift points. When I want to down shift I just pull on the paddle or knock the lever to the left. It's also pretty nice in traffic (which I'm in a lot)

Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
I am on my second r56s( manual ). My daughter had an Audi A3 with the DSG tranny. I really enjoyed it and it was so easy to time downshifts entering corners.
This is heresy to all you "manual" folks, but, I think that my next Mini will be one of these modern autos.
We just purchased a 2011 MCS W/6-Sp. Auto and it is {Totally-Awesome}.

Seriously I had driven the manuals before but this auto is just the right thing for those especially that live in heavy traffic areas.

Push the (Sport) Btn. and this thing just "Rocks"

I don't see anyway you would be disappointed at all.

I highly recommend one after driving this one.

We just purchased this on Tuesday of this week.
So have not gotten to drive it a lot of miles yet.
But it will fly merging on the interstate with ease.

In fact the (Hardest) thing to do is not get a ticket/citation for speeding.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chimera
Having just got back from 2 weeks back home in England where everybody drives a manual, I can say that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Idiots are idiots no matter what transmission they drive, if anything the manual is even more of a distraction because they have to change gear while texting or applying make-up.
Ha Ha isn't that the honest truth.. I agree!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
My hesitation for the DCTs is the added maintenance. I believe for the VW the requirement is a 40k miles service and that is a price tag of $400 at the dealer.
I'd be thrilled if I only had to spend $400 in 40K miles on the transmission. The clutch (manual) on my R52 lasts less than 40K miles and has been replaced twice at over $2000 each time.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:10 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by St_G
This. This. A hundred times, this.

The problem isn't automatics: it's BAD automatics. And right now, that's what MINI offers.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using NAMotoring
And why do you say MINIs automatics are bad?? This I have to hear

Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I'd be thrilled if I only had to spend $400 in 40K miles on the transmission. The clutch (manual) on my R52 lasts less than 40K miles and has been replaced twice at over $2000 each time.
Only 40k?

I'm going to assume you know how to drive a manual perfectly well.

But dang, idk if I could keep a car knowing that!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:19 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Only 40k?

I'm going to assume you know how to drive a manual perfectly well.
I have owned only manuals for over 25 years. My wife and I last cars before MINI were Honda and VW. They both went over 100K miles on their original clutch and still going strong when they were sold.

However, since moving to San Francisco our driving has been in the worst possible conditions for a clutch. 80% stop and go driving in gridlocked congested city streets, often on hills. Combine that with MINI's weak clutch.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
That changes everything lol. I feel for you, absolute hell for a clutch in those conditions. I lived there for a few years so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
We just purchased a 2011 MCS W/6-Sp. Auto and it is {Totally-Awesome}.

Seriously I had driven the manuals before but this auto is just the right thing for those especially that live in heavy traffic areas.

Push the (Sport) Btn. and this thing just "Rocks"

I don't see anyway you would be disappointed at all.

I highly recommend one after driving this one.

We just purchased this on Tuesday of this week.
So have not gotten to drive it a lot of miles yet.
But it will fly merging on the interstate with ease.

In fact the (Hardest) thing to do is not get a ticket/citation for speeding.
Go drive a GTI with the dsg and then tell us how it compares with the MINI's slushbox.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I'm just saying the roads could potentially be safer if we all drove manuals. Just because it requires full attention as suppose to having the auto, were its far easier to get distracted. I can see manuals not becoming available in the future...not the near future but forsure in the future. Business decisions are made based on $, and if they are making a tranny that's not selling as much as the autos then what's left? Continue to make them out of the goodness of their heart to the 10%, possibly even smaller then that. Hahahaha Never in a million years.
I thought the same thing about manuals potentially being safer, but if you look up collision numbers, they're pretty much for same for manual/auto. Like someone else posted, idiots will be idiots.

A lot of the new technology coming out requires an automatic transmission to get the full benefit. Things like adaptive cruise control and automatic braking when a collision is detected. I was reading about a "traffic-jam" mode that was coming soon that you just turn on in low-speed traffic and the car will maintain distance with the car in front of you (a lot like the adaptive cruise control, but at low speed). Lots of cool new gadgets, but they work much better with an auto.

I'm still a manual driver for now, but I'll probably give the auto more consideration next time I'm in the market for a new car.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:34 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by borderwave2
Go drive a GTI with the dsg and then tell us how it compares with the MINI's slushbox.
This is just a "Wild-***-guess" but I take it you are not one of the promoters of the Mini with the 6-Sp. Auto Tranny.

I read you on what and where you are coming from but ......

Given I had the same decision to make over I would for sure go with what I have.
The MCS with Auto.
It is by far the easier machine in traffic and super easy to go FAST in.

Just so you know I have had all sorts of Real High-Performance cars with manuals.

I'm not apposed to a manual tranny at all and will add this comment.
IMHO the manual is more Fun to drive and play around with.

But .......

I'll stick with the Auto for my application with the MCS and my Extreme Modified 08 Bullitt Mustang with 700 Crank HP.
It has a TCI Super Street Fighter tranny now.
Was a manual as all Bullitt Mustangs come from Ford with 5-Sp. Manuals

Note* This is actually my wife's MCS but I would still get the Auto even for just me.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-02-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
alexs3d2 wrote: if they could fix the clutch engagement issues on the Multitronic, that would be my choice. I know a lot of you are against CVTs, but bear in mind the Audi is the only one with a steel-chain vs. rubber band. This makes a huge difference.

Just an FYI, I don't know of any manufactuer who uses a "rubber" belt in their CVT, including Audi, MINI, Nissan or Honda - they're all metal multi link belts.

Way, way way back in the day, the first CVT's (used by DAF) did use a rubber belt, but that was in the 50's and 60's, and those were very low Hp applications

Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM
St_G
4th Gear
Left to their own devices, they're not any worse than the liquid-coupled torque converters in any econobox: fine in most circumstances, but prone to not being in the gear you want it in during more complex or spirited driving.

Which is where the flappy paddles come in, right? Except that, in a MINI, the flappy paddles are pretty unpredictable. Sometimes it will shift quickly, others there will be a significant delay -- much like the delay between pushing the accelerator hard to force a downshift, in non-flappy paddle automatics -- before the tranny drops down.

For comparison, look to the dual-clutch automatics coming out of the VAG. From the PDK systems in high dollar Porsches, down to what they're putting in the Beetle, that company has demonstrated that they can do automatics right. There's a weight penalty for going DCT, for sure, but imo it's well worth it for what you get.

Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
And why do you say MINIs automatics are bad?? This I have to hear