R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Glad I got my Remote Starter ! 2012 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I got my Remote Starter ! 2012 MCS

This morning it was nice to be able to remote start my 2012 MCS and have it toasty warm when I jumped in because I left the heat on blasting when I shut it off last night.
There is even a feature that starts the rear defroster when it is below freezing out.

I searched this wonderful forum before making the leap and found very little info about a remote starter for our cars. It seemed that there was a lot of negativity around the subject.

I just want to let others know that it can be done.
It requires that you give up a remote without the physical key to go into a bypass module which I know others tout as a big security risk but the module is buried in the dash so I don't think it's that big a risk. If someone is digging in your dash then they are pretty determined to get your car and it's a lost cause at that point if you ask me. I got another key remote from the dealer to make sure that I always had a spare to the tune of about 200 dollars.

For those interested I chose a Viper 4203 v starter unit from Directed electronics which has only one button on it and it also required a fortin BMW-INT2 bypass module and a fortin evo-can can bus adapter in addition to the Viper starter module.

Fortin works with manufacturers like Directed Electronics that makes Viper and other companies too to make sure their products work together.

Rest assured this is a must for North East winters.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing that came to mind is something I read in my 2012 owners manual.
It states that MINIs should not be started and warmed up at idle, that you should start the car and drive immediately.

Now, I couldn't say why that is the case, but remote starters would seem to go against that theory. I'm not at all trying to be negative, just wanted to mention that.

The starter sounds cool though, enjoy!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 PM
DiabloZoe
1st Gear
What happens when the battery dies in the remote buried in your dash?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
Yes, I have read that as well.

Originally Posted by Subzero
One thing that came to mind is something I read in my 2012 owners manual.
It states that MINIs should not be started and warmed up at idle, that you should start the car and drive immediately.

Now, I couldn't say why that is the case, but remote starters would seem to go against that theory. I'm not at all trying to be negative, just wanted to mention that.

The starter sounds cool though, enjoy!
I think that Minis are not some kind of special vehicle that can not bare being started without being instantly driven.

I'm going to go out on a sarcastic limb here and bet that the occasional remote starting on cold days will not cause it horrible harm.

If it was so bad there would be a blaring alarm that sounded and lights that flashed indicating impending doom if not driven soon.

You can set different auto shut off intervals of 12, 24 or 30 minutes or there about so if it is not driven the remote starter system will shut off .
This way you don't inadvertently start it and then have it run all day.

I did once leave my keys in my car with it running accidentally back in my school daze for 8 or so hours with no apparent harm to the car. I put 100,000 miles on that 86 Honda Accord and it was still going strong as day one 5 years later when I sold it to another happy gentleman. I know they are different cars but the basics are the same.

Last edited by sasquatch; 11-08-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammatical correction
Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
No problem

Originally Posted by DiabloZoe
What happens when the battery dies in the remote buried in your dash?

You can still gain access with the regular remote that you bring with you to leave in the car while driving.

The remote buried in your dash is only there to bypass the need for the key to be in the car when remote started.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sasquatch
You can still gain access with the regular remote that you bring with you to leave in the car while driving.

The remote buried in your dash is only there to bypass the need for the key to be in the car when remote started.
I think what he's getting at is if the car will still remote start. The answer is yes as the starting mechanism is just an inductor coil wrapped around the "chip" in the key. Requires no external power as long as they are close enough (which is what the little box that you put your spare key in is for).

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's bad for engine wear, it's bad for emissions, it's just a bad idea, for the sake of some comfort.

Most engine wear occurs while the engine is cold and oil isn't flowing normally. Starting and then driving the car warms the engine oil much faster, reducing engine wear.

Starting a cold engine triggers the cold start enrichment portion of the ECU programming. The car will run very rich in an effort to get the catalytic converters to start working in the most efficient range. Extended cold idle can effect long term efficiency of the cats.

It's just a bad idea...

Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This morning it was nice to be able to remote start my 2012 MCS and have it toasty warm when I jumped in because I left the heat on blasting when I shut it off last night.
There is even a feature that starts the rear defroster when it is below freezing out.

I searched this wonderful forum before making the leap and found very little info about a remote starter for our cars. It seemed that there was a lot of negativity around the subject.

I just want to let others know that it can be done.
You're my latest hero

I got spoiled with one on our CX-7. For us, the benefit is not so much for warming up in winter, but getting a headstart on cooling off a hot car that's been sun-sitting for a few hours in summer. Just firing it up and have it run for the time it takes to walk to it in the parking lot is worth doing.

It's on my to-do list. One of these days. Good to know it's possible.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I've wanted a remote start in my R56 for years because cold weather causes my wife extreme joint pain so sitting in a cold car even for a few minutes basically destroys her day. I never got one because I was told that remote starters wouldn't work with comfort access due to the requirement of hiding the transponder somewhere in the car. If that transponder is in the car, won't anyone be able to just walk up to the car, press the comfort access unlock button on the handle, get in and drive away??

Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
I've wanted a remote start in my R56 for years because cold weather causes my wife extreme joint pain so sitting in a cold car even for a few minutes basically destroys her day. I never got one because I was told that remote starters wouldn't work with comfort access due to the requirement of hiding the transponder somewhere in the car. If that transponder is in the car, won't anyone be able to just walk up to the car, press the comfort access unlock button on the handle, get in and drive away??
You can't just walk in to the car and press the start button with this system. You have to press the remote starter button one more time when you get to the car in order to enable your regular transponder otherwise the car shuts off as soon as you hit the brake. You need to bring another transponder in to the car if you want to drive it away.

You can read about it at the fortin website. They make the modules. The two modules that you need besides a remote starter that can work with the "can" bus are the
1. EVO-CAN
2. BMW-INT2

I think anyone that lives in cold climates can appreciate how nice it is to get into a warm car with defrosted windows on snowy or just any cold wintery day.
Once you try it , there is no going back. It is the first thing I buy for any new car we purchase.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by richardsperry
It's bad for engine wear, it's bad for emissions, it's just a bad idea, for the sake of some comfort.

Most engine wear occurs while the engine is cold and oil isn't flowing normally. Starting and then driving the car warms the engine oil much faster, reducing engine wear.

Starting a cold engine triggers the cold start enrichment portion of the ECU programming. The car will run very rich in an effort to get the catalytic converters to start working in the most efficient range. Extended cold idle can effect long term efficiency of the cats.

It's just a bad idea...
Well glad your not us, we want to feel warm comfort in the cold and snowy states. It's not like I'll be driving the MINI for 300,000 miles. But thanks for the knowledge, I appreciate that.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Thanks Sasquatch - did you do your own install? It sounds like we're probably looking at $250 for the Viper, $200 in Fortin parts, $200 for another key then whatever installation costs on top of that. Not cheap, and I probably won't do it in my 09 since I plan to trade next year but will almost certainly be doing it in my 2013 model.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
Thanks Sasquatch - did you do your own install? It sounds like we're probably looking at $250 for the Viper, $200 in Fortin parts, $200 for another key then whatever installation costs on top of that. Not cheap, and I probably won't do it in my 09 since I plan to trade next year but will almost certainly be doing it in my 2013 model.
I had a local shop that does work for the mini dealer handle it. They are a high end shop. I used to do this kind of work in my younger days but things have changed a bit with the "can" data bus so I figured I would trust the local shop instead since I could tell they were knowledgeable. I would not trust a big box store with this kind of job. I believe it did cost about 750 total installed which for me was well worth it for the toasty car on a chilly morning.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Well glad your not us, we want to feel warm comfort in the cold and snowy states. It's not like I'll be driving the MINI for 300,000 miles. But thanks for the knowledge, I appreciate that.
Let's be honest, those of us in the frigid states idle the car to get it warm anyway, whether it's remote starting or running outside to start then coming back in to make coffee or whatever while it warms up. You just can't get in a car in the morning at -20f and drive off unless you're dressed up like an arctic explorer.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
reducati
3rd Gear
Do you guys with remote start have automatics ?? Anyone know if it can be done on a manual trans? Thx

Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reducati
Do you guys with remote start have automatics ?? Anyone know if it can be done on a manual trans? Thx
Viper's newest units can be put on a stick now and it usually requires hooking up to a wire or adding a sensor, or you can install it as if it was an auto and never leave it in gear and be careful.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You my friend are correct. My friend does work on a lot of stuff like this and he is gonna work on my car next month since its a four to five our job. I'm using Drone so I can start the car from my phone and unlock and lock the doors. Not bad for the price of $500!

Old 12-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Colt45Magnus
2nd Gear
This is an old thread, but did anyone ever figure out the whole stick shift remote start question? Because while starting the manual cars you have to depress the clutch in order for the push button start to engage...

So is there a system where they can bypass this so you can leave it out of gear overnight?

Old 12-10-2015, 03:27 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
It is possible to remote start a manual shift car.

Originally Posted by Colt45Magnus
This is an old thread, but did anyone ever figure out the whole stick shift remote start question? Because while starting the manual cars you have to depress the clutch in order for the push button start to engage...

So is there a system where they can bypass this so you can leave it out of gear overnight?
yes, that is easily accomplished with a relay. talk to your local shop . some of them wont do it .

Old 12-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Colt45Magnus
2nd Gear
yes, that is easily accomplished with a relay. talk to your local shop . some of them wont do it .
Well I can see how it could potentially be dangerous, as if someone left their car in 1st gear or Reverse (as most do) and the clutch is bypassed, the car would then just jolt into the car in front of you or behind you (for example, if you're in a parking lot) but most intelligent beings would remember to leave it out of gear

Old 12-10-2015, 07:30 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
they have some safeguards now

Well I can see how it could potentially be dangerous, as if someone left their car in 1st gear or Reverse (as most do) and the clutch is bypassed, the car would then just jolt into the car in front of you or behind you (for example, if you're in a parking lot) but most intelligent beings would remember to leave it out of gear
micro switches around the shift **** to prevent starting in gear is just one method of a few.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Colt45Magnus
2nd Gear
Well I definitely wouldn't mind getting myself setup, the right way, with a nice remote started as it's getting colder here and i dread getting into a cold car OR having to run outside at 6:13am in pj's to go start it up and let it run for 15-20 minutes haha

I know you went with the viper remote keyfob, but are there systems out now which could be installed the same way, but work on a smartphone rather than having another fob on my keys?

Old 12-11-2015, 04:32 PM
sasquatch
2nd Gear
I got the module that lets me start it from my Android phone via app a few months ago

Well I definitely wouldn't mind getting myself setup, the right way, with a nice remote started as it's getting colder here and i dread getting into a cold car OR having to run outside at 6:13am in pj's to go start it up and let it run for 15-20 minutes haha

I know you went with the viper remote keyfob, but are there systems out now which could be installed the same way, but work on a smartphone rather than having another fob on my keys?
It was approximately 250 dollars and 99 dollars a year for the service which goes across cell phone signal. I just re-upped for approx 269 for 3 years.

The app is just more convenient for keyfobs which cost about 50 bucks each.
we all have smartphones now days so no need for the fob anymore and it's nice to start the car when its out of fob range like when I come home on the train and start it 15 minutes before arriving to my toasty car on winter days.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Summons
3rd Gear
WRT to manual transmissions, I gather some of these systems require you to arm the system when you shut the car off, thereby ensuring that the car is in neutral and the doors are locked before the car will turn off - ready for the next auto start. The clutch switch is bypassed and since the car is idling when the system is armed, with the doors locked before shut down, presumably it isn't in gear...

I could not install such a system in my car as I am too OCD to ignore the owners manual re idling to warm and the eco aspect does bother me on some level - I can bear the discomfort to save a few grams of CO2...

I have also found that even in miserably cold weather (-20C in Toronto a few times per year) the engine heats up fast, and with the seat heaters cranked, I am comfy very quickly!

That said, if others wish to install the system - ENJOY!
E

Old 12-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Colt45Magnus
2nd Gear
Now here is the other point. I am being told by multiple people different things... is it better to start the R56 and drive away as soon as the RPM's level off? Or is it better to start it up and let it run for about 10-15 minutes and let it warm up? I always, for my entire life, thought it was better to give you car time to warm up and let all fluids reach operating temps prior to actually driving....

Quick Reply: R56 Glad I got my Remote Starter ! 2012 MCS