R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 PCV delete. Possible Isues resulting....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM
cranker625
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I should:

1. Block off PCV on passenger side.
2. Hook OCC on driver's side PCV / be cheap and run hoses to drip.

And hopefully I will lengthen the time between walnut blasting my valves.
Am I getting this right?

Here's a link for reference: http://www.meetup.com/Central-Maryla...hread/23860862

Last edited by cranker625; 08-07-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
jcarl126
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranker625
So, I should:

1. Block off PCV on passenger side.
2. Hook OCC on driver's side PCV / be cheap and run hoses to drip.

And hopefully I will lengthen the time between walnut blasting my valves.
Am I getting this right?

Here's a link for reference: http://www.meetup.com/Central-Maryla...hread/23860862
today i blocked off the PCV on passengers side and instantly got a pumping sort of sound out the drivers side pcv valve that went away once the drivers side hose was disconnected from the intake. not sure if that helps, but i sure was like so i reconnected everything. maybe my pcv is shot?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
cranker625
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I just realized that there are 3 PCVs for N14 R56 MCS.

1x rear
1x passenger side
1x driver's side

And I'm suppose to block off the rear and passenger side.
Then hook the OCC on the driver's side.

phew, I hope I got this right...

Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM
elsinorej
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
OP here, I made an adapter for the dipstick hole that I can monitor the actual crankcase pressure to the .01 psi. I tested it last year sometime but can't remember what the actual numbers were. I will retest with videos showing the results when I get a chance.
On the draft tube topic if one were to install draft tubes why not use the exhaust system to evacuate the crank case. Here is a link to a V8 system.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mi...FexDMgodahsADA
It must be welded into the exhaust pipe.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 PM
elsinorej
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is an image I found on the net showing how it installs.

Attached Thumbnails PCV delete. Possible Isues resulting....-evacsysteminstallsy2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Advice needed...I have a BSH OCC and plugs and was all set to do the traditional PCV delete. Then I started reading about possible consequences and got cold feet. However, since the passenger side PCV is considered the main culprit for carbon buildup, would it not be a decent solution to just put the OCC on THAT side instead of the turbo inlet side? I would leave the OCC mounted as is and run in/out lines along the back of the engine. That is if I can figure out how to connect the hose on the passenger side PCV.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Pcv

Its not just controlling crankcase fumes to atmosphere but using vacuum to facilitate this process. I just ran hose from both valve cover vents (one is a pcv) and routed to 2 oil catch cans then routed initially to atmosphere BUT.... this created an issue as the DME was looking for additional air, albeit with oil and stuff from the crank to keep the A/F ratio proper. I could not figure out why my car was running rich during WOT. When I rerouted the hose from the oil can baclk to the turbo inlet, the rich condition vanished.
Originally Posted by MNIPWR
Like I said in my first post. The only real reason we have PVC is to prevent pollution.

Good to know. I wasn't sure positive how modern engines were designed. Old engines just had breather filters and draft tubes.

Now that we have this established. Can we go back to the PVC system. To reiterate my point that as long as there is a way for the pressure to escape it should be fine. If the passenger PVC port is open then where is the problem coming from?

Now I'm not trying to be rude. I am curious. I would just like to clear up some stuff up.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM
boatman2500
Neutral
I've got a OCC that I'm going to put on the driver side port. I'm on the fence about plugging up the passenger port, at this point I'm going to leave them be. If the OCC doesn't have enough of an effect on carbon buildup then I'll get a plug for the PCV.

A yearly SeaFoam treatment before an oil change will hopefully keep the carbon Buildup at bay.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:17 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Most of the crankcase gasses go out the passenger side port and to the throttle body when the car is not under boost, so the back PCV hose is the source of most, if not all, of the oil that causes carbon build up, on an N14 engine.
I have a boost/vacuum gage in my MINI, in my normal driving, that gage is hardly ever in boost.

When you block the rear PCV hose, all of the crankcase gasses go through the driver's side PCV line and through the oil catch can and then the turbocharger.

We know that oil catch cans are not 100% effective, so some of the oil and other gasses will go through the turbocharger even with an oil catch can. I don't think much of the oil vapor actually gets to the intake ports via the turbocharger route as there is a lot of piping, and the intercooler to go through before any oil could get to the intake valves.

I think that if you are installing an oil catch can on a N14 engine, it won't prevent carbon build up unless you also block the PCV line on the passenger side of the headcover.

Dave

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM
boatman2500
Neutral
Most of the crankcase gasses go out the passenger side port and to the throttle body when the car is not under boost, so the back PCV hose is the source of most, if not all, of the oil that causes carbon build up, on an N14 engine.
So if I want to use an OCC but I don't want to plug the PCV for now, should I put the OCC on the passenger side port?

I get what you're saying about the Driver side port being effected by the turbo pressure.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM
MNIPWR
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boatman2500
So if I want to use an OCC but I don't want to plug the PCV for now, should I put the OCC on the passenger side port?

I get what you're saying about the Driver side port being effected by the turbo pressure.
Yes, If you don't want to plug anything put the OCC on the passenger side.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 PM
iceflowdude
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I don't think much of the oil vapor actually gets to the intake ports via the turbocharger route as there is a lot of piping, and the intercooler to go through before any oil could get to the intake valves.

Dave

So once the oil enters the intake stream where does it go? Does it just disappear?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
There would be oil throughout the intake piping, but mostly in the intercooler. It isn't much oil, but that is where it would end up.

Dave

Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
All of that oil ends up in the intercooler, that isn't a solution to oil consumption. The oil eventually will reach the intake pooling up in some areas and when you step on the gas you will get oil and blue smoke out the tail pipe. Return the PCV system back to stock and have your intake system and valves media blasted every 30-50k and call it a day.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:07 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Actually, a very small portion of consumed oil gets into the turbocharger piping and past the oil catch can, most consumed oil goes past the rings and valve guides. Any oil that gets into the intercooler is more of a thin film, it isn't sloshing around in there.

Dave

Old 10-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Hi all, i know this is an older post and i have red so much about the problem i have with my 2009 MCS that i really am confused now. my problem is long idle at the light or traffic, you got it the smoke.my tech has gone through my car and there are no leaks cylinder test at about 170. no ruff idle car runs very strong a/c will freeze your bud.
so last week he told me it may be the valve cover or i need an OCC since he found a lot of oil in the turbo intake and the vacuum line.
what should i do??????????

Old 10-25-2016, 08:15 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I think there may be something else going on besides just going back to the stock PCV configuration that reduced oil consumption and smoke.

I have the BSH dual boost port, which blocks off the PCV line to the intake manifold like the Peugeot delete plug does. As well as a BSH Catch can on the PCV line to the turbocharger.
I installed these just after buying my MINI.

In the nearly three years of having this set up, my MINI has used no oil, other than 1/2 a quart when the engine was breaking in. I have not had any smoke either. I check my oil level and the level in the oil catch can weekly.

Like I said, there must be something else going on, if just putting the PCV line from the cam cover to the intake back solved your oil consumption problem.

Dave
I have the same set up as you, but I am starting to use oil, I am bringing the car in for a check up, cam cover replacement, walnuts, oil leaks, etc and will check back next week when I get it back from the Mini dealer.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:34 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
I have the same set up as you, but I am starting to use oil, I am bringing the car in for a check up, cam cover replacement, walnuts, oil leaks, etc and will check back next week when I get it back from the Mini dealer.
No big smoking guns found, will monitor oil level changes to see if the $$$ parts replacement/work helped, might take a month , as I drive less.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok..same issues..I vented the Valve cover Drivers side...
I see people are blocking off the pcv to valve cover passenger side...
So little help....block pass side and vent drivers side? yes or no..

Old 11-21-2016, 09:54 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
The passenger side is the one (U.S. cars) that should be blocked off, that is the one that goes to the throttle body and allows crankcase fumes, including oil vapor, into the head where oil bakes onto the backs of the intake valves. The PCV hose on the driver's side should then go through an oil catch can and then to the turbocharger inlet.

Blocking off the PCV line to the turbo, (drivers side) will cause the crankcase to pressurize when the engine is under boost and cause major oil leaks.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:06 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Ok passenger side Blocked...
Drivers side Vented with a Filer? and No catch can? Possible or no good?

as it is now the pass side is connected and the drivers side is vented....Intake is blocked off from crankase to turbo...

Old 11-21-2016, 12:49 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
You should have an oil catch can on the driver's side PCV line, not a vent or filter. Get a good oil catch can, one with baffles, to keep the crankcase vapors in the can longer so they can condense and drop into the can. A simple vent or filter will not provide a low pressure area to draw the crankcase vapors out of the engine. The turbocharger intake provides that low pressure source to pull the crankcase vapors out of the engine.

Even back in the fifties, cars had a draft tube that extended from the crankcase to under the car into the air stream to cause a small vacuum to assist the crankcase vapors out of the engine. Don't put a draft tube on a modern engine, it will stink and drip oil under the car.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:37 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Ok will do...thanx..

Old 11-22-2016, 05:00 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I just installed a system in my 07 where I routed both PCV ports to a single catch can and then vented it back just upstream of the turbo. This way, regardless of what the PCV valve system is doing inside the valve cover, the engine has a way to breathe. Seemed like the most logical approach to me.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:54 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
No big smoking guns found, will monitor oil level changes to see if the $$$ parts replacement/work helped, might take a month , as I drive less.

the catch can is catching stuff again and the oil consumption is down, I'm about 70% sure that the problem has been fixed with a new valve cover, and a walnut blast.

Last edited by JPMM; 11-28-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 PCV delete. Possible Isues resulting....