R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Level and Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had a doubt that Kellen would stand behind his product. I had a return shipping label within minutes of my online chat with CravenSpeed.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
lisajt
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drsimmons
OK, I think I've been reading my stock dip stick correctly but I'm really curious about the CravenSpeed one for the 2007+R56 so I just ordered one. I think the 2nd gen's are backordered right now.
I would assume you still check the level at operating temps????????
When you receive your new dipstick could you please post how you like it and if it a lot easier to read than the stock one. I have a 2007 MCS and would like to know if it is worth buying for this particular car.
Thanks

Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
I think most nam members will need a install video for this item. LOL

Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lisajt
When you receive your new dipstick could you please post how you like it and if it a lot easier to read than the stock one. I have a 2007 MCS and would like to know if it is worth buying for this particular car.
Thanks
Sure will. I ordered it May 3rd and my acct still shows awaiting shipment.
Whatever that means.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
Just had a nice email from Tarin at CravenSpeed outlining the problem and trying to rush new product to those that have a problem. Nice to hear from a vendor that is addressing a problem.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^Yes it is. I never seem to get too upset over stuff like this as long as the vendor acknowledges the possible issue.
They have been right on top of it. for Cravenspeed.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
JoanieB ... thanks for all the pictures of the OEM and the Craven stick. I changed my oil this past weekend and could see the level on the OEM stick with no problems. The oil was so clean though, I can understand how hard it is to read the level on the OEM stick. I am thinking of doing what was suggested earlier, a blade slice at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 between the bumps on the OEM stick.

Great discussion and one reason I joined this forum, was to learn as much as possible about the Mini I bought.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Great to hear that Craven knows what is wrong and is addressing it for those few dipsticks that don't fit!! But then, we know that they stand behind their product!

DrSimmons, you will still love the way the dipstick fits into the channel and is so good looking, but if it isn't enough of an advantage for you, you could easily sell it at a run or club event. For those with newer cars, it IS a huge improvement!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
Great to hear that Craven knows what is wrong and is addressing it for those few dipsticks that don't fit!! But then, we know that they stand behind their product!

DrSimmons, you will still love the way the dipstick fits into the channel and is so good looking, but if it isn't enough of an advantage for you, you could easily sell it at a run or club event. For those with newer cars, it IS a huge improvement!
' addressing it for those few dipsticks that don't fit'
I love this line!!!! LMAO for some reason. Must be tired.
I'm sure when I get it it'll be fine. I like the red end better than the yellow.
Besides, a spare probably isn't a bad thing.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Possible that we'll have replacements shipped out by Friday!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2009R56JCW
I think most nam members will need a install video for this item. LOL
The funny part is you could be correct about the video. So far every thing about the R56's oil has been substandard or strange in some way. I think a PG13 movie showing how to do everything to do with oil on a Mini R56 is a great idea. The factory dipstick is ridiculous, The chain guide can grab the early spring dipstick, the location of the dipstick is not centered magnifying the need to park on level ground, the maintenance interval at 15,000 on a turbo direct injected motor is crazy, dealer's overfilling, the filter location is hidden, The requirement that the coolant bottler needs to be moved stressing the hoses to change the filter, the plastic filter cover and filter can stick resulting in the cover breaking, the oil pan has a sludge trap that you can't drain from the drain plug, and I still wonder what is so special about the Mini branded oi?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
PG13 eh? Methinks MPAA's getting a little too sensitive about in and out motions and lube references.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm pleased to report that I received a replacement for my over-sized Craven dip stick for my 2010 Cooper. It fits fine and works very nicely. Kellen, at Craven, was good to his word and stands behind his products.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Thanks MHayes for the update. Hope to receive mine this evening.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I've heard nothing yet. Ordered on May 3rd and still shows 'awaiting shipment'. What gives?????????

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
drsimmons:

Why not e-mail them through their website, or call them?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^Wasn't a big deal. Thought I've give them some time to sort out the issues with you guys that already ordered and got bad or wrong sticks.
I'll probably email them later.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 AM
muzak
4th Gear
From what I understand, 10 of us got ill fitting dipsticks, so they had a small batch rushed through to make good on us. I would imagine that means the next batch of dipsticks will follow, but take a little longer?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Sent email to Cravenspeed and Tarin responded back. Says 2nd gen on are back order but they were able to get a few made up early. Then right after his email I got a order completed/shipment notification.
Ok....... Anyways, they say a brand new batch will be done by May 31st.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
The first hundred sold out in hours, I think. Then they did the few replacements. Now a new batch will come out May 31st? SUPER!! Just be patient.... the original waiting list before the first batch of Gen 2 sticks was made, was months long. :-) Worth it.

Glad to hear that the double powder coated sticks have been replaced! I'll buy from Craven again ANY TIME!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
This is my first purchase from them and I'm ok with everything.
Fast response on issues and email which is not a norm nowadays.
WayMotorWorks is also very good about things like that.
Those are the ones we keep close at hand.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Notawagonwife
2nd Gear
Can I ask another question regarding checking the oil level and oil changes? If not point me in the right direction. I was actually in the Dealer yesterday and had them check a few things. I have only owned the Mini for a month. We are from a long line of "motor heads" with muscle cars. We change our oil every 3 months or season- that is why I asked the dealer about the Mini. At the time I was informed I needed to check the oil level every month. I was never told that until yesterday. They told me only to have it replaced in a year or 10,000 miles. He said we still could change it every 3 months, but only using a Mini factory filter and then have the dealer change it every 10,000. What do most of you do? I am completely confused and now this thread leaves me puzzled regarding checking the oil level with the factory stick. HELP!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM
muzak
4th Gear
Yep, that's what the factory recommends. The general consensus here has been to change it around 5k-7.5k. 7.5k was splitting the old factory recomendations of 15k intervals. I personally do 5k. It's good practice to be checking your oil every 2 weeks, or fill up, because these turbo engines tend to burn oil. Some do not burn oil, however, but it's a good habit to get into anyhow. If the oil gets low, it can lead to timing chain issues and a host of other things, so better to be safe than sorry. The stock dipstick sucks! Save yourself the headache and uncertainty and just order a CravenSpeed.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
+1 on what Muzak says.
I change mine at 6K intervals.
I think anything is better than the 10-15K Mini recommends.
The reason for more frequent changes is due to the amount of heat these turbo engines produce.
Checking every week or two is just good practice and really doesn't take that long.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
lisajt
3rd Gear
I think I have finally been successful in reading the stock dipstick. When I pull it out of the tube, instead of holding it up in front of me, I look straight down it, while holding it dangling towards the ground, and can see where the oil is. Problem is the oil level is consistently above the top notch. I had the oil changed at the dealer and I understand that some of them overfill to try and prevent low oil problems. I have checked it each time warm and will try and remember to check it cold in the am tomorrow. I do feel like this is an accomplishment though. Been struggling with this for a while now. Just hope the level is accurate.

Quick Reply: R56 Oil Level and Dipstick