North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Oil Level and Dipstick (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/229465-oil-level-and-dipstick.html)

Bhavin Userofreality 05-02-2012 09:36 AM

Oil Level and Dipstick

2 Attachment(s)
It seems like most of us will agree...the stock dipstick is really hard to read...
And with our CooperS burning oil like they do...we need to be on top of it.

I went ahead and ordered Craven Speeds new dipstick to facilitate this.

I just got it in the mail today ...and i was SHOCKED to see such a small package... it made me really curious.
Well moments later I discovered it is a Flexible dipstick! First I was like..uh...maybe there is something else to this...but no.

Its all good... I hear it works great.

Anyone else use one? I am trying to determine the guidelines for checking the oil on this this..

Can the engine be cool and turned off? Or does it need to be warm?

Does the oil level on the new dipstick need to be to the top for normal and safe engine operation?

Thanks!

2008 R56s A

Michael Hayes 05-02-2012 10:13 AM

Bhavin:

I got my dip stick from Craven last Friday, and had the same reaction when I saw the package. I hadn't quite realized that instead of a wire shaft the main length would be a fine garter spring. It's a creative and practical idea.

The part that indicates the oil level is ever so much better than the original unreadable and baffling device.

I'm wondering if your dip stick handle, the red part, gets a bit stuck in the black dip stick tube? Mine seems a bit stuck if I push it down. If I just let it rest there, it's fine. I had oiled my o-ring after my first insertion into the tub, thinking that might have been the problem.

Any comments?

gepperso 05-02-2012 10:32 AM

Oil Dipstick

I have odrered one from the same company awaiting arival.

First it is recommended to check the oil when the engine is cold, because when it is warm some oil is still in the oil filter, you would not get a accurate reading.

I plan on laying the 2 dipsticks side by side and then you will get a good gague of where the oil level should be on the new dip stick. :thumbsup:

I to like the Craven Speed dip stick, thats why I orderd one, I know they are expensive, but not as expensive as a new motor !! :nod:

I just changed my own oil and it was near impossable to see the oil level on the factory dip stick.:roll:

Bhavin Userofreality 05-02-2012 11:06 AM

Michael, I haven't dropped it in yet, but I will report back on the way the "handle" sits on the tube.

Thanks for the info Gepperso, the logic makes sense on when to check the oil, except that when warm , wont the oil pressure and or level, differ from when its cold.

I initially felt it was expensive, but definitely worth it compared to a new motor!

Its a shame how bad the the OEM dipstick reads...

MattyKHZ 05-02-2012 12:04 PM

If it comes in a box is there anyway someone can get me on ein the US and just post me the dipstick in a jiffy bag to the UK to save postage?

If there is anything from here in the UK you require in return feel free to ask, Peugeot PCV blanking plugs for example.

lisajt 05-02-2012 12:07 PM

I am interested to know what you guys think about the new dipstick. Mine is the braided-cable style that cam in my 2007 MCS and I find it very difficult to read the end is metal with knobs on it. I have wondered about the craven speed one but as I am in Canada don't want to have it shipped here unless it is proven to be a big improvement in readability. Do any of you have the same dipstick as I do, sorry I don't have a pic. Not the one with the plastic end. Could you please compare the 2 for me. Maybe even a pic of the 2 side by side with oil on them so that everyone can see the difference. I would feel better about buying it if I knew it was worth it.
Thanks

Kirby11 05-02-2012 01:23 PM

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-how-easy.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-dipstick.html

The dipstick handle sits firmly in the opening to maintain a tight seal.

muzak 05-02-2012 01:48 PM

FWIW, my Cravenspeed dipstick would only insert ~3/4 of the way into the tube and you have to pull with all your might to get it out. They are sending me a new one and should arrive today hopefully.

edit: 2nd one came in and it's even worse. I'm sending the 2nd one back and keeping the 1st one. Seems like when they measured, perhaps they didn't compensate for the thickness of the paint/powdercoating. Seems like a PITA to check while on the road and not at home with some vice grips, or whathaveyou. I don't understand how on their youtube video, he has no trouble with the fitting of their dipstick. Are the tubes from MINI inconsistent?

Michael Hayes 05-02-2012 01:58 PM

Kirby11:

Yes mine fits firmly, so firmly that I have to use pliers to twist it out.

JoanieB 05-02-2012 03:27 PM

Huh, mine fits just fine. Slightly firmly. That is my YouTube video by the way, on the other thread. I didn't have a bit of problem. Hope they get that part fixed, that's too bad!
MattyKHZ, if you buy it and send it to me I would be glad to ship it to the UK for you, just for the price of the postage. I ship ceramics there regularly and it is no problem. :-) But you would have to pay for it. It comes in a very small box so it would ship inexpensively to you. PM me if you want to arrange it. I'll test it on my car first if you like. :-)

lisajt 05-02-2012 03:30 PM

Just to clarify, the oil level on the craven speed stick is clear without having to go through any special process to read it. Just pull out, wipe off, reinsert, pull out and read and is clear. My stock one is a pita.

Kirby11 05-02-2012 03:32 PM

Muzak and Michael - those definitely don't sound right. Mine is firmly in there but not stuck. I think Cravenspeed had a couple separate batches made, so I wonder if there's a batch that somehow got out of spec. Kellen at Cravenspeed is a stand-up vendor and I'm sure he'll try to make things right.

richardsperry 05-02-2012 04:16 PM

Mine fits fine, but it's about a 1/4" shorter than the stock one.

I'll take a picture in the AM. This is really starting to piss me off...

gepperso 05-02-2012 07:27 PM

Dip Stick to the UK

Originally Posted by MattyKHZ (Post 3504292)
If it comes in a box is there anyway someone can get me on ein the US and just post me the dipstick in a jiffy bag to the UK to save postage?

If there is anything from here in the UK you require in return feel free to ask, Peugeot PCV blanking plugs for example.

Sure I'll help you out, :thumbsup: Please go to their Website and get the CORRECT Part number that you would need for your MINI Model and year ect...:nod:
You could PM me with your mailing address.
If you could find ANY MINI swag from the UK that you think is cool. :grin:
Look at my signature for the Model information on my Baby.
While your at it check out my gallery also, I don't know why alot of people don't post pictures in their gallery. I love to see other poeples Mini's no matter what year !! :popcorn:
Always willing to make friends accross the pond.

gepperso 05-02-2012 07:35 PM

UK Dip stick

Originally Posted by JoanieB (Post 3504425)
Huh, mine fits just fine. Slightly firmly. That is my YouTube video by the way, on the other thread. I didn't have a bit of problem. Hope they get that part fixed, that's too bad!
MattyKHZ, if you buy it and send it to me I would be glad to ship it to the UK for you, just for the price of the postage. I ship ceramics there regularly and it is no problem. :-) But you would have to pay for it. It comes in a very small box so it would ship inexpensively to you. PM me if you want to arrange it. I'll test it on my car first if you like. :-)

Looks like JoanieB will be able to better help you since they ship ceramics to the UK already.
Still want to make friends across the pond though. :thumbsup:

JoanieB 05-02-2012 08:13 PM

It's easy to ship to the UK, gepperso, you use the Post Office and you have to fill out a small customs declaration form. So if you want to trade for swag, it won't be a hassle for you to send it. :-) I wouldn't mind trading either, except that I'm saving my pennies for MTTS and AMVIV now... have to have a little cash for those video poker machines!

gepperso 05-02-2012 09:21 PM

UK Dip stick

Originally Posted by JoanieB (Post 3504606)
It's easy to ship to the UK, gepperso, you use the Post Office and you have to fill out a small customs declaration form. So if you want to trade for swag, it won't be a hassle for you to send it. :-) I wouldn't mind trading either, except that I'm saving my pennies for MTTS and AMVIV now... have to have a little cash for those video poker machines!

I just want to help all MINI owners that I can, and hey if I make another friend in the process then that is a plus !!:thumbsup:

BTW I just saw your video posted on You Tube for the Craven Speed dip stick, I'm excited ! :eek: :grin:
I looks like it goes in like butter ! I replied to that thred also. I'm getting ready to go to MOTD on friday (2 days from now) Man is it going to be fun!! :) I was just thinking about staying up there for 1 day Friday, but if I have a really good time I might stay till Saturday evening, it is only about 3 hours drive from my house.

Hey MattyKHZ you can purchase it and have them ship it to me, and I will send it on to you as quickly as I receive it, it will be off to the UK to you. I won't even charge you anything to ship it to you across the pond.
( Just some UK MINI swag that you think is cool ) :grin:
Let me know with a PM and I'll give you my address. :popcorn:

muzak 05-03-2012 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by richardsperry (Post 3504453)
Mine fits fine, but it's about a 1/4" shorter than the stock one.

I'll take a picture in the AM. This is really starting to piss me off...

Mine is a little shorter too, but when setting it next to the stock dipstick you can see that it still does what it's supposed to do. Hopefully yours is the same way.

muzak 05-03-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kirby11 (Post 3504429)
Muzak and Michael - those definitely don't sound right. Mine is firmly in there but not stuck. I think Cravenspeed had a couple separate batches made, so I wonder if there's a batch that somehow got out of spec. Kellen at Cravenspeed is a stand-up vendor and I'm sure he'll try to make things right.

I sent a follow up email. Waiting for a reply.

There's got to be some inconsistent variable here. Either the thickness of the powder or the dispstick tubes. Mine is truly a bear to get out of the tube. I have to pull with both hands, with everything I've got; even though it's not all the way in the tube, flush, because I can't get it too or I'd never get it out. Aside from that, I love the dispstick. It's super easy to read.

SooperCuperErik 05-03-2012 07:27 AM

The reason the OEM dipstick doesn't read well is because between the high and low mark there is just a flat surface.

If you use a razor blade or something similar to put small slits (say 2 or 3) between the high and low mark, the "slits" will pick up oil when you lift out the dipstick. Just an option for a free fix.

I've never really had much issue reading the OEM dipstick. Just make sure its wiped dry before reinserting to read. When you pull it back out, one section of the stick between the low and high mark will be dry, hence the level of oil.

lisajt 05-03-2012 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by lisajt (Post 3504426)
Just to clarify, the oil level on the craven speed stick is clear without having to go through any special process to read it? Just pull out, wipe off, reinsert, pull out and read and is clear? My stock one is a pita.

I posted this as a question, but now I see it looks like I was stating a fact.

lisajt 05-03-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik (Post 3504797)
The reason the OEM dipstick doesn't read well is because between the high and low mark there is just a flat surface.

If you use a razor blade or something similar to put small slits (say 2 or 3) between the high and low mark, the "slits" will pick up oil when you lift out the dipstick. Just an option for a free fix.

I've never really had much issue reading the OEM dipstick. Just make sure its wiped dry before reinserting to read. When you pull it back out, one section of the stick between the low and high mark will be dry, hence the level of oil.

The dipstick on my '07 is all metal. There is no way of putting slits in it. The high and low marks are knobs that protrude from the stick itself, and I believe pick up any oil in the tube along the way.

muzak 05-03-2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by lisajt (Post 3504805)
I posted this as a question, but now I see it looks like I was stating a fact.

Yes, it is very simple to read. Pull it out, wipe it off, insert, pull out and read it. You can clearly see what has oil and what doesn't without question.

muzak 05-03-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik (Post 3504797)

You're getting false reading with the stock dipstick unless you pull it out and let the oil drain from the tube for a few hours. And even then, you get one shot before contaminating the tube with oil again. This is my experience anyways. The Craven Speed dipstick is much skinnier on the part that you read, therefore it does not touch the tube on the way out. It is much more accurate. It also drops right in, rather than have to use force to make the curve in the tube.

drsimmons 05-03-2012 08:58 AM

OK, I think I've been reading my stock dip stick correctly but I'm really curious about the CravenSpeed one for the 2007+R56 so I just ordered one. I think the 2nd gen's are backordered right now.
I would assume you still check the level at operating temps????????