R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Pop & Burble

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arsci i see what your saying and I would loveeeeee for my MINI to sound like a M3 with a AK exhaust system, but its hard to get a sound you hear on one car to another (especially something thats pure muscle where ours are handling based) ... but you can def get a deep tone and rumble and my car has nice pop and burbles with my NM exhaust and very little drone, im sure i can get it louder if I did a resonator delete but i dont want loud drone at high speeds...

hope you find the right exhaust setup for you ... just youtube mini exhausts, i did this for 8 months till i found the right exhaust for me.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sLy201
arsci i see what your saying and I would loveeeeee for my MINI to sound like a M3 with a AK exhaust system, but its hard to get a sound you hear on one car to another (especially something thats pure muscle where ours are handling based) ... but you can def get a deep tone and rumble and my car has nice pop and burbles with my NM exhaust and very little drone, im sure i can get it louder if I did a resonator delete but i dont want loud drone at high speeds...

hope you find the right exhaust setup for you ... just youtube mini exhausts, i did this for 8 months till i found the right exhaust for me.

There is absolutely no drone with the resonator delete (on the stock exhaust atleast). From in the cabin, the sound level has barely increased, just the tone.

If you want pop and burble, remove the resonator and you will not be disappointed

Last edited by axleR56; 03-08-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Realized sly was talking about aftermarket setup
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sLy201

Yeah I know it won't sound anything like the corvette, I could never expect it to. The two are completely different. I've watched videos on youtube of the mini pop and burble and love it though. That's what I want.

Does anyone know if the resonator delete will be CA smog legal? Or is it easily reversible if it's not? I don't mind a little drone, half the time I have the sunroofed popped and the music up anyway so I doubt I'd be able to hear it. I just want to hear a little bit of exhaust response when I'm playing with the throttle around town and on the track.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
It should stay SMOG legal, you are leaving both cats attached. I had the option of removing the second cat as well but opted to keep it.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
i dont know about the SMOG laws in CA, but i had to laugh as I thought of the South Park episode with the SMOG from LA. If you remove it, just keep it, it can always be reinstalled if you get annoyed or if it breaks any local laws.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 AM
timtim
2nd Gear
Sorry, but my understanding of the cause for the P&B has little to do with the exhaust system and almost all to do with the ECU's control of fuel flow during "off-throttle" deceleration periods.

To improve the fuel mileage the fuel flow is essentially shut off during "off-throttle" deceleration periods and as such no combustion is occurring during these periods.
Pop & Burble is an artifact of incomplete combustion of fuel that continues to flow into the cylinders during "off-throttle" deceleration periods. This incompletely combusted fuel residue completes its combustion in the exhaust header pipe hence you have the Pop & Burble.

In 2011 or 2012 MINI added back the fuel dribble that causes the Pop & Burble because of so many complaints about its elimination. The effect is only available in sport mode so as not to affect the car's fuel mileage figure

Old 03-10-2012, 01:36 AM
arsci
3rd Gear
Yes, I know it is computer controlled. That's why I talked about programming it in the original post. The posts relating to exhaust changes were just suggestions on how to possibly achieve a similar effect.

I'm going to be calling around tomorrow and see if I can't find a place that will take out my resonator. Better than nothing, and at the prices I've seen people getting it done for I might as well!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 AM
an2
2nd Gear
It is programming - but it's nothing that NCSExpert can touch. It's the ECU itself that controls it, and the only way you're going to touch that is with a chip or a reflash.

You can get Alta to whip you up a custom Accessport tune with the P&B, and they're said they're working on adding it to a future version of their "generic" flashes due to the community demand; but as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I reckon they're tied up getting the 2011+ tunes working first.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 PM
timtim
2nd Gear
Sorry, but you can't access the necessary programming with the NCSExpert System. NCSExpert accesses the ECU programming and allows changes to various systems from among choices that are already preprogrammed. You can't change a setting that is not available with NCSExpert system.

For Pop & Burble you would need to change the actual pre-programmed "Maps" that control the engine functions. The Accessport system allows the installation (Flashing) of "Maps" that can change the engine management system settings. Accessport is a way to get what you want but P&B is not one of the parameters Accessport is currently altering.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
I will upload a video of my exhaust later today if you would like.

It really sounds great, I've gotten many compliments on it.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
Originally Posted by axleR56
I will upload a video of my exhaust later today if you would like.

It really sounds great, I've gotten many compliments on it.

what exhaust do you have ?? didnt see it in your sig?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
It's the stock exhuast with the resonator removed. Everybody seems to have doubts that you can get an r56 to pop and burble without a software reflash so I figure I'll just take a video.

It's true that the software update did remove the pop and burble, but there are other ways to get it too.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Ok, so heres a quick clip i shot with my phone, didnt have time to let the car fully warm up because I'm at work. Should give you a good idea of the sound though. It pops quite frequently despite only doing it once or twice in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2bQy...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did notice my '09 do it a couple of times this weekend. Might be worth it to remove some stuff in the middle of the exhaust system and see what can be brought to life.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
Well, I watched a few videos online and sat I decided to go ahead and just do it. I went down there between classes this morning...charged me $30 and took them about 20 minutes. Already loving the sound! Can't beat if for the price!!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by arsci
Well, I watched a few videos online and sat I decided to go ahead and just do it. I went down there between classes this morning...charged me $30 and took them about 20 minutes. Already loving the sound! Can't beat if for the price!!

it's great, wait until a week goes by and it really starts to pur!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stevoman and Bosstones, you guys are 100% correct!!! I love the throttle and steering response of the Sport Button but hate the childish fake backfire noises. Back in the day one would get this noise from an aggressive camshaft and it would be REAL, not programmed by an ECU. Sly2001, get all of the intakes and exhausts you want but if you don't have a 2011/12, you won't get the 2011/12 backfire function.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
i do have it, not a huge fan of it but thats more reason to not do my res delete .. only sound i really enjoy is the whooosh of the turbo because of my intake ...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pop and burble are awesome!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 AM
arsci
3rd Gear
Everyone has their own opinion on pop & burble, lets just leave it at that. I think it's safe to say that at this time it is not possible to to turn it on however similar sounds can be achieved through other modifications (resonator delete, intake, exhaust).

I just did the resonator delete on Monday, I've put about 300 miles on it so far and it sounds better every time I start it. I can't wait to get an intake on it and later on do some more exhaust mods!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 AM
-sean-
1st Gear
Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
sLy201
5th Gear

both these videos are sick ...

Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 AM
merlot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by axleR56
Ok, so heres a quick clip i shot with my phone, didnt have time to let the car fully warm up because I'm at work. Should give you a good idea of the sound though. It pops quite frequently despite only doing it once or twice in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2bQy...ature=youtu.be
Pop and Burble not found. You need to hear a 2011/2012 for comparison.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by merlot
Pop and Burble not found. You need to hear a 2011/2012 for comparison.
I've heard the 2011/2012 pop/burble. And it is quite a bit different. However, those of us with pre 2011/2012 MCS have no way of reverting the that same pop/burble that comes with the facotry tune on 2011/2012 models. Instead, removing the resonator does create popping and burbling but perhaps in a different way. Before removing the resonator my exhaust never crackled, never barked, never had small backfires when letting off the gas. But now it does, and for anybody with a 2007-2010 MCS that is let down by the lack of pop/burble this is still a good option.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Melangell
Stevoman and Bosstones, you guys are 100% correct!!! I love the throttle and steering response of the Sport Button but hate the childish fake backfire noises. Back in the day one would get this noise from an aggressive camshaft and it would be REAL, not programmed by an ECU. Sly2001, get all of the intakes and exhausts you want but if you don't have a 2011/12, you won't get the 2011/12 backfire function.
I have to disagree a little... all sounds are "fake" unless you have the engine with no air intake box and filter and no exhaust. Yes the P&B is ECU created, but all cars have some kind of aural modifications whether it be quiet or loud exhaust, intake noise, etc. I think it fits the car's character but I understand if some feel it is childish - if that is the case go buy a stock VW GTI

At least MINI didn't pipe in the exhaust noise through the stereo like a certain BMW model...

Anyways to each his/her own!

Quick Reply: R56 Pop & Burble