R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 E85 for r56 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What concerns us is how this will impact our cars, our warranties and of course for all those with direct injection; the high pressure fuel pump.

It really is quite simple, an unnamed source at BMWNA has told us that the maximum allowed for use in a BMW is 10% (E10 the current blend), and that is that. After internal testing, BMW is not condoning the use of E15 at this time on any new or old BMW.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/10/...e15-gas-blend/

Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not everyone relies on or cares about a waranty. Most SERIOUS power modifications leave the waranty out the window anyhow, or atleast leave it up to the dealership techs to decide if it will be coverd or not.

E85 will not foul out your O2 sensors, it will throw a code IF you are NOT PROPERLY TUNED to run it. A properly tuned engine on E85 is just as reliable if not more reliable than the same engine running gasoline. Just because BMW says that it shuldnt be done dosent mean it CAN'T be done, hell it already HAS been done and worked great.

Times are changing so is the technology that powers our cars, just because YOU dont understand it, it dosent mean you shuld bash on the idea of someone else doing it. Maby if you guys that just want to deter people from going down this PROVEN route to performance would just ignore E85 threads in general, the people who are open to the idea could get what they want from the people who know what they are doing.

To the OP and anyone else who can see past gasolines limitations, and are serious about switching to E85: PM me and I will direct you to a forum where the idea will be embraced rather than criticized and hated on!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Not everyone relies on or cares about a waranty. Most SERIOUS power modifications leave the waranty out the window anyhow, or atleast leave it up to the dealership techs to decide if it will be coverd or not.

E85 will not foul out your O2 sensors, it will throw a code IF you are NOT PROPERLY TUNED to run it. A properly tuned engine on E85 is just as reliable if not more reliable than the same engine running gasoline. Just because BMW says that it shuldnt be done dosent mean it CAN'T be done, hell it already HAS been done and worked great.

Times are changing so is the technology that powers our cars, just because YOU dont understand it, it dosent mean you shuld bash on the idea of someone else doing it. Maby if you guys that just want to deter people from going down this PROVEN route to performance would just ignore E85 threads in general, the people who are open to the idea could get what they want from the people who know what they are doing.

To the OP and anyone else who can see past gasolines limitations, and are serious about switching to E85: PM me and I will direct you to a forum where the idea will be embraced rather than criticized and hated on!
If you can't take somebody pointing out a reasonable argument differing from yours, then you are way too thin skinned for a car forum IMO. Criticization is part and parcel with sharing your opinions online. Presenting a rational argument that differs from yours isn't exactly a challenge to your manhood (& please stop considering it being "hated on". It's a juvenile reaction IMO.). It sounds to me that you expect anybody reading this to just accept your opinions & agree with you simply because you think we should.

To the OP, consider your comfort level with possible warranty hassles & do what you are comfortable with. Big boy rules apply when modifying vehicles or their use.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Maby you shuld read back through the posts, and take your own advice.

Remember to keep an open mind, there are people out there who have done this before. Let them talk before you start the "I wouldnt do that if I where you's".

The OP has had cars that needed to be tuned for E85 before (so he knows what needs to be done)

The title of this thread isn't "Would MINI/BMW like it if I tuned my car fo E85"

And get your FACTs straight before calling someone out next time, I wouldnt even be posting this if your PM's wern't full, Its kind of a respect thing, There are people who know more than you on this subject, and hell there are people that know more than me. But atleast I bring some VIABLE FACTS other than it will void your waranty.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well let me think about this. I have been told by multiple MINI dealerships not to run anything over e10 and that they didn't even like that. They said that MINIs were not meant to run on anything with ethonal in it. Maybe it has been done in the 1st gen but, remember we are talking about the 2nd gen. Complete different motor. The 1st gen was an American design that would shared with such cares as the PT Cruiser, Srt4 and other Chrysler motors. The n14, ep6dts, Prince motor whatever the hell you want to call it is a European design that is shared in a lot of Peugots and Citorens. If he wants to try it go for it but be prepared for the possibilty of tearing things up. And ya I think the warranty falls under this category of legit reasons not to do it. Mostly because if you do some modifications to your car such as intake and exhaust and the such it won't void the warranty as a whole it will only void that part. Now running E85 ya thats the whole gambit in the warranty, the whole engine is voided. Now if you are willing to except the risk and be aware that Prince engines are still super expensive then go for it I will wish you the best but, is it really worth it in the long run.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
If you run an E85 it'll certainly, definitely void your warranty. You can run E85 with modifications. So, modify, void the warranty to run the E85 which the OP isn't concerned about.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Njcox
1st Gear
Dicks garage ! I will pm you soon about this topic as you suggested! And thankyou to all of you who have posted to this thread you all made your points and all is great info I might hold off due to not wanting to void my warrenty quite yet and maybe in the next couple years more info will be available about our motors and the strengths and limitations we will face ! I can't thank all of you ebough for giving this thread such a great response!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Maby you shuld read back through the posts, and take your own advice.

Remember to keep an open mind, there are people out there who have done this before. Let them talk before you start the "I wouldnt do that if I where you's".

The OP has had cars that needed to be tuned for E85 before (so he knows what needs to be done)

The title of this thread isn't "Would MINI/BMW like it if I tuned my car fo E85"

And get your FACTs straight before calling someone out next time, I wouldnt even be posting this if your PM's wern't full, Its kind of a respect thing, There are people who know more than you on this subject, and hell there are people that know more than me. But atleast I bring some VIABLE FACTS other than it will void your waranty.
That's a pretty funny read. I posted a couple of links to articles. I'm not a naysayer. Frankly, I like when people go outside the box on things, but not everybody has the stomach for it. Presenting both pro's & con's is how somebody becomes informed. You'd apparently rather just shout down anybody who offers a contrary opinion to yours. Get over yourself, dude.

BTW, how about we keep the "I know more than you do about the subject BS out of it (your presumption, BTW). I stand by my entire reply to you earlier. IMO, your response proves its truthfulness.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
Hi i'm forrest gump!

Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Njcox
1st Gear
Looks as though I am going to stick with running a meth kit, Cobb accessport, custom turbo back exhaust catless , intake hard pipes kit and a few ther minor addons and see where that will get me whp and get used to it I'm not sure upgrading turbos is even needed on these cars because of traction issues these cars are made for cornering not straight line performance like my trans am ws6 and srt4 was so I need to keep this in mind! Lol

Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Njcox
...these cars are made for cornering not straight line performance like my trans am ws6 and srt4 was so I need to keep this in mind! Lol
You know, the WS6 package was originally a suspension option specifically for helping the Trans Am (2nd gen and beyond) go in a not-so-straight line... bigger sways, stiffer springs, etc. In the 90's version of the WS6 option, they expanded with ram air scoops, bigger radiator, etc. added to the sport suspension. I know, off topic, but I like old Trans Ams.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Njcox
1st Gear
Well yea I had a 2000 ram air I know it was a suspension upgrade but it had more body roll than our mini van ( slight exageration) but seriously compared to this car it was like a mini van lol

Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
eh!

Last edited by johnnydisco; 12-01-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Doric
1st Gear
I realize this is anecdotal at this point, and has minimal relevance to the R56 - which I would never run E85 or less than premium gas in - but E85 isn't evil at all. There are a lot of myths out there.

I run E85 exclusively in my 2005 GTO. It is tuned for it, and I have completely replaced the fuel system from the pump to the lines to the rails & injectors. On the stock engine block, stock transmission, and stock drivetrain, it makes a shade under 700rwhp on 11psi and I have yet to see it knock. Not the most economical or practical thing in the world, but I would never in a million years move back to gas.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Doric
I realize this is anecdotal at this point, and has minimal relevance to the R56 - which I would never run E85 or less than premium gas in - but E85 isn't evil at all. There are a lot of myths out there.

I run E85 exclusively in my 2005 GTO. It is tuned for it, and I have completely replaced the fuel system from the pump to the lines to the rails & injectors. On the stock engine block, stock transmission, and stock drivetrain, it makes a shade under 700rwhp on 11psi and I have yet to see it knock. Not the most economical or practical thing in the world, but I would never in a million years move back to gas.
Yeah...but it is highly modified, and out of warrenty...
So "the dealer did not care"...
I bet it is fun, but to to do it on "new" car, void is the word for warrenty issues unless it was equipped from the factory.
Engines build to run e85 or better can make some great power utilizing higher compression pistons...things that would not be possible with plain old pump gas, but to modify a stock DD to e85 when the computer or fuel system is not compatible is never going to pay $$ in anything other than a cheaper way to make more power.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Doric
1st Gear
I could not agree more with any of this.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
You can use E85 safely if you do "MODIFICATIONS", correct? But, that would also "VOID THE WARRANTY", correct? Can we all agree on that?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Njcox
1st Gear
Lol yes we can agree with that I may just shy away from e85 for now and go meth untill more people decide to run e85 and the kinks are worked out..and besides they raised our e85 from 1.99 to 2.86 so it's not even a cheap way to make more power now I can runt meth/water injection get better fuel mileage and be at the same octane level and be cleaning my pistons all the time lol I loved running it on my other cars but I've never tried meth before so maybe it's time to try something different! Thankyou all for the great response again !

Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
2fst4chp
Neutral
Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum and looking into getting a r56 pretty soon.

I currently drive a 2007 Subaru STI fully built. One of the best things i did to the car was swap over to e85. On basically a Mustang dyno my car put out about 330awhp and 360awtq after swapping to e85 im now making 376awhp and 440awtq! Witch is good for a 11.6 1/4 @ 118 mph

here is the link to my dyno sheet:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2288839

(Also if u read up on nasioc ull see lot more info on e85 the here)

All i had to do was swap in larger injectors, fuel pump, and get her tuned! Ill be looking to do the same to my future mini since its basically knock proof and way cleaner for ur motor then the crappy 91oct we have here in cali!

Id love to here if anyone has looked into this further or if ill be one of the first to do so

Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2fst4chp
Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum and looking into getting a r56 pretty soon.

I currently drive a 2007 Subaru STI fully built. One of the best things i did to the car was swap over to e85. On basically a Mustang dyno my car put out about 330awhp and 360awtq after swapping to e85 im now making 376awhp and 440awtq! Witch is good for a 11.6 1/4 @ 118 mph

here is the link to my dyno sheet:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2288839

(Also if u read up on nasioc ull see lot more info on e85 the here)

All i had to do was swap in larger injectors, fuel pump, and get her tuned! Ill be looking to do the same to my future mini since its basically knock proof and way cleaner for ur motor then the crappy 91oct we have here in cali!

Id love to here if anyone has looked into this further or if ill be one of the first to do so
Direct injected engine, (so fuel pump and injectors might be a problem...) and VERY few people that can tune it for gas, let alone E85...

Good luck with that...

Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 PM
2fst4chp
Neutral
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Direct injected engine, (so fuel pump and injectors might be a problem...) and VERY few people that can tune it for gas, let alone E85...

Good luck with that...
Well you do learn something new every day. Ill have to talk to my tuner to see what he things about tuning direct injection. Im sure he will be fine since he does pretty amazing things behind a laptop and if i remember correctly he has tuned a 2010 or 2011 porsche turbo.

It will be a few weeks till im ready to get my hands on a mini of my own but ill be sure to keep people posted with the progress..with that said is anyone looking for an environmentally friendly four door family sedan that just happens to run 11.6 at the track?!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh rise dead thread I must resurrect you.

After everything in the realm of E85 experience accelerating so fast and so much in the last 6 years, I think I am going to go ahead and go with this choice in the following year or 2. I think the 2nd gen would benefit a lot from e85.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:22 AM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
Oh rise dead thread I must resurrect you.

After everything in the realm of E85 experience accelerating so fast and so much in the last 6 years, I think I am going to go ahead and go with this choice in the following year or 2. I think the 2nd gen would benefit a lot from e85.
E85 is great stuff for boosted motors. I ran it in my blown BBC boat.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you realise if you tune for e85 you will need to run it all the time. In this area there is only one place that sells the stuff.