R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Why did you get your MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
sgsuperman105
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you get your MINI?

Just wanted to throw the question out there.

When my parents finally said they wanted to get me my first car my mom actually suggested the MINI Cooper. I had never really looked into one but after one day on the MINI website I was in love. Later that week we tested a Hyundai Tiburon and my mind jumped to that car. That Saturday we went to my local MINI dealer and the saleswoman took me and my parents on a quick drive in a Cooper. I was floored by the performance and I realized my love for the Tiburon was misled and I was bent on getting a MINI. Not more than a week later I was driving off the lot in my new MINI Cooper.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm...my first car that my parents 'provided' for me was a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit. In 1994.

Lucky guy you are.

Why did I get it? Because I'm impulsive and I loved the way they looked. Took a test drive and really just loved it. I thought long and hard and realized I could own one if I was willing to stretch my budget to its absolute limits (I'm in graduate school and I work full-time and am still paying on my Harley). Realizing that I could do it if I could live on under $100 for non-fixed expenses, I signed the paperwork and put down a deposit.

I'm now over 4400 miles and am very happy with my decision, even if I did wish I had more money on hand at the end of each month. Ah, well.

That's my long answer.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
My parents never bought me a car! Lucky! I purchased my first car with my hard earned Chick-Fil-A money (awesome chicken sandwiches, and our restaurant got 100% six years in a row on health safety... that kitchen was spotless!) for $1,600... a 1992 Mazda Protege in flawless condition. This when I was 17, just four years ago, hehe. I loved that car.

However, I just finished a five month Academy for a federal job, and I figured, hey, I need to reward myself. So I purchased a house and this 2008 MINI Cooper S. I test drove a variety, but I figured, hey, this MINI is super fun, and I want my first major car purchase to be one to remember!

I'll remember this car forever, that's for sure!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 AM
AkFarina
Banned
I bought my mini now cuz bfor i lived in alaska and i need a truck up there now i live on the east coast so i bought one ond its great i got it because it handles great is sporty and gets great gas millage

Old 02-27-2009, 04:21 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I always loved small cars. I used to drive a Honda 600, which was real small having only 2 cylinders. (598 cc) I've only had two cars my entire driving life that were not 4 cylinder cars.

When Mini came back to the US I knew someday I'd drive one. I waited to 2007 but boy it was worth the wait. My next one will also be a Mini, or perhaps if reliability turns out good when they come back, a Fiat 500.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
VW's A-OK!

Originally Posted by wandrur
Hmm...my first car that my parents 'provided' for me was a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit. In 1994.

Lucky guy you are..............

Just wanted one the first time I saw one flying the street. Had to wait a while, but got what I wanted.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with the VW Rabbit's Easy to maintain and fun to work on too wasnt it ?

My second car I purchased brand new was a 81' diesel Rabbit. Installed Bilstien Sport Shocks, Short Shift plate to shorten throw, wide low profile tires....went from 155/80 SR 13 tires to 175/70's ....not many tire choices back then unless you wanted slicks...Added Kamei Front air dam, and tinted all my windows with super dark tint ( no laws back then ) It handled quite well which made up for its rather lack luster speed.

Got 48 mpg highway btw.

My third and 4th brand new car was the 1st Gen VW GTi in Red, and then the 3rd Gen VW GTi 16v in Montanna Green. Painted all the black plastic parts OEM Montanna Green. Looked hot IMO.

BTW: I had to pay for all my cars on my own. Joined the Reserves when I was 17 years old and junior in H.S,

My parents never bought ME any cars..... .

Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 AM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-27-2009, 05:13 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amazing the class envy
There's nothing wrong with his parents buying him a car.
Better for them to pass on their wealth to the next
generation than throw it away on the nanny-state.

BTW, I have bought all my cars myself starting with a
1971 MG in 1982 (and in towed out of a yard condition
at that)

But I got the mini because I wanted something to replace
the CRX as a daily driver as it is a little worn now. I also
had to have 4 seats and an automatic because of the family.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
I traded in a Dodge Magnum R/T for my JustACooper because I wanted something smaller with better fuel economy. I have been impressed twith he MINI experience/quality ever since I drove a friend's 2003 MCS back in 2003. I drove (& did a lot of mechanical maintenance on) a well-used Triumph TR6 when I was a poor college student. The MINI driving sensation imparts the same 'road sense' that I felt in my old Triumph, which was also BRG.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
My first "learner" car was a 84 Ford Crown Vic, dark brown. We affectionately referred to it as the The Turd. My first actual car was bought by my parents, and believe me I was very grateful. It was an 85 Pontiac Fiero, started my love affair with small cars.

I wanted a MINI back when the new models came out in the early 2000's but I couldn't even think about affording one then. About two years ago I decided I could afford a new car and started looking but had forgotten about the MINI until I saw one zip past me one day. After a few days on the configurator I was hooked. Ultimately what did it for me was the ability to get exactly what I wanted without having to buy into a package. This was my first new car and I love it.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got my MINI because I fell in love with my wife's MINI. (That's why we have two almost-identical 2006 'S' convertibles). Prior to getting her MINI, I had been looking at getting a year-old Lotus Elise or Boxster 'S' for myself, but I had too much fun "borrowing" her MINI until she finally told me to get one of my own!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:21 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I had some friends who restored classic Minis when the new MINI came out in 2002. I was about to pull the trigger on a classic for myself, along with a good commuter car, but the New MINI (with AC, airbags and the rest) was too much to pass up. I come from the time when Healeys, and Triumphs, and XKEs, and Sunbeams (and the rest) roamed the earth....so getting a MINI was like a dream come true. I'm now on my second Cooper.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:29 AM
sgsuperman105
2nd Gear
On the whole parents getting me a car thing, it was a deal that we made. If I graduate HS they would buy me a car and if I graduate college they will totally pay off the car. I graduated HS and they bought me the car and I am now in the middle of getting a certificate at my local community college in Visual communications and this september I will start at Full Sail University working on my BA.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sgsuperman105
Visual communications
Hey...that's what I do!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
1st Gear
Before my Mini, I owned an off-road ready Land Rover Discovery (MudTerrain Tires, HD bumpers, etc. etc.). I used to Live in Miami where travel distances are relatively short. In 2007 I moved to ATL and started working an hour and a half away from home. I filled up the 23 gallon tank with premium every three days....and that was BEFORE Gas proces hit the fan. That lasted on month! I wanted to stay british so a Mini was the first and only option.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
My wife hounded me into to test driving one. SOLD! It's her car, but I get to drive if we go somewhere or if she works on a weekend (nurse).

My first car was a 73 Plymouth Fury III. Big car with a 400 cu in, 273 gears. When I bought it, I had to wait a day to drive it home (200 miles) because of gas rationing. I couldn't get fuel because the license plate number. Carter should have never given up peanut farming.

I hauled hay, split firewood, built fence, mowed yards, and recycled aluminum pistons from a racing shop to buy that car. When I was 15 it was all about making a buck to buy a car.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
CooperDreams
2nd Gear
I fell in love with the looks of the MINI in the early 2000's also, but the timing wasn't right. I was driving home from work one day and saw a used Cabrio on ramps at a dealership and caught the bug again.

Once I discovered the configurator I was definitely hooked. I talked (..er obsessed) over the MINI for almost a year before my husband surprised me by ordering my latest configuration! We picked it up earlier this month and love it! I think my husband is surprised at how much he loves it. We also had a Land Rover Discovery in 2000 and love the feel of British cars. The maintenance costs were just so high on the Rover.

My first car was made the year I was born, 1976 Toyota Celica. My aunt was the original owner and loaned it to me. It was quirky little car, and actually really cute!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperDreams
My first car was made the year I was born, 1976 Toyota Celica. My aunt was the original owner and loaned it to me. It was quirky little car, and actually really cute!
I absolutely loved those first-generation Celicas - I still think they're one of the better-looking models that Toyota has ever made.

I had a friend in high school that had a 1976 Toyota Corona. She was constantly having to correct people that asked her "Don't you mean a Toyota Corolla?"

Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Phase 1 - Thought they were good looking and always loved hatchbacks but paid no special attention to them due to price.
Phase 2 - Drove an R56 Cooper S
Phase 3 (1 month later) - Sold my WRX and ordered my JCW

For all the non-believers, just drive one, then we'll talk.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:51 PM
bcski
3rd Gear
I was looking at Nissan Pathfinders and saw a mini and googled mini forums... You all convinced me.

THANKS

Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
My first car was a 73 Plymouth Fury III. Big car with a 400 cu in, 273 gears.
Whoa! I had to read that twice... at first I was thinking, "I wonder how long it took to row 273 gears to sixty.."

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the classic cars, hehe. But I do love MINIs!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
test drove one on a whim, one day. that was enough

Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by grodenglaive
test drove one on a whim, one day. that was enough
Yeah, that was my second mistake.

The first was going to the dealership in the first place.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM
CooperDreams
2nd Gear
Something I just thought of...I think my husband finally ordered mine so I would quit talking about MINIs. I think my obsession might be worse now that we actually own one. Is it strange that I could just sit and stare at the car for hours?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Charva
2nd Gear
Wow! Great stories....I was driving a 3 cylinder Geo Metro and it was towards the end of it's lifetime back in 2002.

I happened to see a billboard for the new MINI Cooper and just fell in love.

I finally was able to scrounge up the down payment in April of 2003 for my 1st MINI Cooper! All Pepper White with no goodies came to $16,975.

I drove it for 3 years and got rear ended on a slippery road

After I got her repaired, I traded up to a 2006 Purple Haze Cooper with a few factory goodies...fog lamps, MFSW, Aux jack added later....put about 40,000 trouble free miles and at that point I traded in for 2009 Hot Chocolate Clubbie!

Clubbie has Xenons, MFSW, Fog lamps, Driving lights, Bonnet Stripes and Roof Rack!

Maybe I'll trade up again in 3 more years.....

Dave

Quick Reply: R56 Why did you get your MINI?