R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Well, I WAS a R56 owner...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:27 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by agranger
Yet another MINI sacrifices itself to protect the owner.
+1...sorry about the accident. Please tell us more - it's always nice to know we all chose the right (safe) vehicle.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sikamini
Maybe they will sell it to you cheap - you could make a track car out of it!
Looks more like he can make a crack pipe out of it. Seriously, though, have a speedy and as-painless-as-possible recovery.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
bfrance
2nd Gear
Thanks for all of the kinds words and well-wishing, I greatly appreciate it!

Regarding not sneezing with a broken sternum, try having the hiccups and not being able to get rid of them for like 15 minutes! I have never felt pain like that in my life. That was a 1000mg does of the happy pills for sure.

Here's the run down on the accident for those who were curious. It happend on I-35 in Olathe, (KC area,). I was on my way to work in fairly heavy traffic, going about 60 or so. Had a car swerve over and cut me off, which caused me to brake hard and swerve to avoid rear-ending them. Unfortunately, another car was merging into the lane I swerved into. That car swerved right, hit the guardrail, (I think,) slid back left and hit me. This impact caused me to shoot left, head-on into the concrete retaining wall that seperates northbound and southbound traffic.

I was probably still doing 55 or so on impact, so I'm lucky to have just gotten the injuries that I did. My poor car took the brunt of it, but all things considered, help up fairly well.

It wasn't a lease, but a purchase. No gap on my loan itself, so hopefully my insurance company will do the right thing and correct the error that they made.

As far as ordering another, that's what I'm leaning towards. If I do end up doing it, it'll be a S this time. I've already spec'd out a laser blue/black one with Sport Package, Web spokes, mfsw, and a few other goodies. As much as I loved my "justacooper" my one regret for the whopping 7 weeks that I had it was not getting an S, so I'll be remedying that if I go the Mini route again.

Thanks again to everyone. It's nice to have the kinds words. And, it's nice to actually have some sort of contact with other people too, as I've been laid up on my couch since then, only leaving to go to the Dr.

Everyone be safe out there, and give your Mini's a hug for me. Their sibling saved me!!!!!

-Ben

Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
bfrance
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Wow, I didn't realize till just now that you were a fellow KC Miniac!

Where did it happen?

Glad you're OK, hope the recovery doesn't take too long..........
Dave,

It was on I-35 just south of Santa Fe/135th, heading north bound. Happend on Friday the 5th, about a week and a half ago.

-Ben

Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Wow man. Glad your ok! Good luck with your insurance company, we hope it all works out!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Ben,
I am sorry to see that your MC was totaled and I am also sorry to hear about your injury.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery

Plus that your car insurance company corrects their goof by not adding GAP coverage like you originally requested they do.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Feel better soon.

Guess it's better that they decided to total it and not leave you with a highly repaired car that wouldn't be worth much!

Get the "S"... you'll love it.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Really glad you're ok! Those pictures look so sad... Hopefully you'll work things out with you insurance and maybe get another. Glad you plan on getting another Mini!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bfrance

As far as ordering another, that's what I'm leaning towards. If I do end up doing it, it'll be a S this time. I've already spec'd out a laser blue/black one with Sport Package, Web spokes, mfsw, and a few other goodies. As much as I loved my "justacooper" my one regret for the whopping 7 weeks that I had it was not getting an S, so I'll be remedying that if I go the Mini route again.
-Ben

That sounds like a great choice, just like mine.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 PM
pillar
5th Gear
glad you are alright...

does that mc have runflats? its totally flat

Old 12-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Super sorry about your MINI! I've driven that and 435 at the wrong time of day myself and it can be bedlam. I still don't understand why everybody feels like they have to be in the same place at the same time.

Nobody has offered any help with the coughing, sneezing (and other painful gesticulations like yelling at the cat) surrounding your owie. There must not be any other zipper club members awake yet. Get a small pillow and keep it with you. When you feel a cough or sneeze forming, hold it tightly to your chest with your arms crossed, hands to the opposite shoulder. Us zipper club members get a fancy red heart shaped pillow just for such occasions just as soon as the tubes are removed. I'm surprised nobody has suggested that from the medical staff you have encoutered. I found lortab to be helpful also, my wife swears by percocet. One or two of either would sure make designing your new MINI a lot more fun.

PS. It has been nine months since my surgery and there is still a little discomfort when sneezing. Don't expect a quick recovery. Sternums heal slowly.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:51 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the wreck and I hope you heal quickly.

I hope your insurance company steps up on the GAP coverage. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. What will be the difference if they don't step up. Seems like the MINI holds it's value very well. Maybe that will help you.

Take care.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
Sorry for the wreck and I hope you heal quickly.

I hope your insurance company steps up on the GAP coverage. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. What will be the difference if they don't step up. Seems like the MINI holds it's value very well. Maybe that will help you.

Take care.
True the MINI does hold its value very well but this is what GAP insurance does:

Link: http://personalinsure.about.com/od/p...a021405a_2.htm
Gap insurance will insure one for the difference between what one would owe on a vehicle and what an insurance company says it's worth. This insurance is a must for someone who is considering purchasing a new vehicle since a new vehicle depreciates right after it is driven off the dealer's lot.
Or if trading in a vehicle and was still upside down on it the GAP insurance could cover that difference too depending upon what the policy chosen states as they can vary.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Great to hear you are OK.

Over the past few months I have seen 4 or 5 images of MINI accidents, all front impact. The interesting similarity is that no matter how smashed the front end is the cockpit is relatively undamaged. The damage always seems to extend back to the "A" panel and windshield but not much beyond. It's designed that way and obviously it works well.

BTW: how many airbags deployed? Do you feel the airbag was instrumental in your being relatively unharmed?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My question too, what actually did you impact to break your sterum?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
4th Gear
OMG, you only had it for 7 weeks before the crash?!?! Thats terrible! I feel bad for your car.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad that your injuries aren't major. A cracked sternum takes a long time to heal, take care of yourself. At least you know a Mini can take a concrete wall at speed and let you walk away.
Best wishes.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM
NJP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bfrance
Hola all,

Well, I have bad news. As of December 5th, I no longer am a R56 Owner. Yep, you guessed it, my 7 week old Cooper got totalled out due to some dumb-a$$ not paying attention in traffic.

Pics are attached.

The good thing is, the car only depreciated by about $800.00. The bad is that I'm currently fighting with my insurance company due to the agency rep not putting GAP coverage on the car, even though my wife's car has it, and I asked for the same coverages as her car.

Also, I'm still breathing, which is always good. I do have a broken sternum, and possibly a cracked rib, which x-rays later today will tell.

Ever have one of those days where life seemed to just suck? This was one for me...

-Ben
Hope you are feeling better very soon. By the way, how many airbags deployed??

Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Sorry about the crash, what a valiant MINI!. Here's wishing a speedy recovery and MINI reCooping.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
bfrance
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2008 Cooper S
That sounds like a great choice, just like mine.
Gorgeous car!!!

That's exactly what I'm gunning for if I get another Mini!

-Ben

Old 12-17-2008, 03:44 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Wow, Ben. I'm glad to hear you survived that as well as you did. The damage looks terrible. And I know a sternum fracture is one of the most painful injuries you can have.

Some friendly professional advice: If you're gonna pursue a claim against the other guy, make sure you get a good attorney who does these types of cases all the time. Your company will usually help you out, but don't trust the other driver's company. They will look for any escape hatch they can, since they don't owe you any duty as they do their own insured. JMO. (and BTW, since there is already substantial property damage to both cars, the other guy already has a problem. Your bodily injury claim will not hurt him any worse)

About the MINI...I just posted a link to an article on Market Watch which talks about how well the MINI Cooper did against the larger "Small Car" catagory in front, side and rear impact crash tests. When I see how well your MINI held up in an accident like that, I feel safer.

Take care of yourself.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Glad you're okay. And a strange coincidence, this morning on CBS I heard the new crash test results for 2009 I believe, and they specifically said MINIs were one of the best. (I think they were speaking of front impact tests) The PT Cruiser got the worst rating...

here's the 2008 http://www.automotive.com/2008/12/mi...sts/index.html

haha ditto, richs10 " just posted a link to an article on Market Watch which talks about how well the MINI Cooper did against the larger "Small Car" catagory in front, side and rear impact crash tests"

Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
bfrance
2nd Gear
Here's answers to a few questions:

The MC doesn't come with run-flats, just standard tires, hence the blow-out.

The only airbag that deployed was the driver's side in the wheel itself. I'm assuming this was due to the impact being dead-on with the front end and my having no passengers.

As far as what broke the sternum, there is some conjecture there. The ER doc thinks it was a combination of the force of the impact, (60-0 in like 0 feet,) the seatbelt, and possibly the airbag itself. We'll probably never know for sure though.

Thanks again for all the kind words, and especially for the tips on minimizing the discomfort. So far, Hydrocodone has been my friend, but I'll try the pillow idea mentioned, as coughing, sneezing, or having the hiccups really sucks right now!!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about that. Like everyone said, at least you're okay... that's the important thing. The car albeit a mini is still a car and can be replaced.... you can't.

I can't speak for other states but in NC, if you lease a car, you automatically have gap included... it's not an option.

Hope you heal soon.

Mark

Old 12-17-2008, 06:54 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
I hope you feel better real soon!!

Yes -the pillow helps (better then nothing), don't leave home without it. Even in the car with the bumps, hold that pillow to you!

Quick Reply: R56 Well, I WAS a R56 owner...