R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Quad Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 AM
six-fingers
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Driving Lights

In the November issue of Modern MINI the featured some guys Park Lane cooper and he had four driving lamps on the front. I've seen pictures of MINIs with rally lights before but I have never seen any thing like this guys they appeared to be the factory lamps. So does anyone know where you could find a kit for mounting these types of lamps, and if you were going to add a quad light system to your MINI would you get big rally lights or 4 stock looking lamps?

Last edited by six-fingers; 12-09-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by six-fingers
In the November issue of Modern MINI the featured some guys Park Lane cooper and he had four driving lamps on the front. I've seen pictures of MINIs with rally lights before but I have never seen any thing like this guys they appeared to be the factory lamps. So does anyone know where you could find a kit for mounting these types of lamps, and if you were going to add a quad light system to your MINI would you get big rally lights or 4 stock looking lamps?

There is a kit about halfway down this page of this website.
http://www.vipcustomparts.com/minicooperparts.htm

Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also do it by mounting angle brackets to the grill using long bolts and fender washers. There's a thread in the DIY section on this. That's how the lights in my sig photo are mounted. The grill is very strong and you can put as many lights on there using this method as will fit.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico No I dont need a Green Card
To NON-MINI Owners that would look dumb, but to a MINI owner that knows the history....That looks GREAT!!! I like it and keep us posted if you get this installed on you MINI.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
six-fingers
4th Gear
this is Number 2 on my list of things i wish to do to my MINI and if i ever get around to it and get the funds together. being a broke college student sucks

Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
I got 2 lights and now I want 4 :)
That really does look sharp, and the rally lights aren't all that bright- especially if you didn't get Xenons.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4 DL's??

blatant overkill, IMO of course

Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 PM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will be doing it to mine but the 2 outer lights will be Hella 500's with the yellow fog light lens and the 2 inner lights will be Hella 500's with the white driving lens.

Does anyone have a link to the DIY article? I looked in the DIY link but couldn't find anything in there.

Last edited by flyinlow; 12-09-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 PM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
This will look great when I get my 05 Jet Black S. When I find it!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
flyinlow: I just finished setting up the bracket for the same set up as you have planned(2 outside fogs and 2 inner driving lights). The driving lights will be hooked up to brights while fogs will have their own toggle. The bracket installation was pretty straight forward but the wiring seems more involved. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow and will let you know what issues I have. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:19 AM
maximus96
3rd Gear
can somebody point me to the post about mounting straight to the grill? i'm looking to install a pair of hella 500's. seems easiest and cheapest to mount to the grill instead of buying the bars and pulling the bumper.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by maximus96
can somebody point me to the post about mounting straight to the grill? i'm looking to install a pair of hella 500's. seems easiest and cheapest to mount to the grill instead of buying the bars and pulling the bumper.
Not sure where the thread is, but here's how I did it:

I used these angle brackets from mcmaster.com which are pre-painted black.

33125T14
(Same as 33125T143)
Strut Channel Accessory 90 Degree Angle Bracket,
2-Hole, Black-Painted Steel
In stock at $2.84 Each

I put them up against the outside of the grill with some thin sheet rubber behind them (also from mcmaster) to cushion them. Then I just used a combination of bolts, nuts, and fender washers from Home Depot to secure them to the grill. The bolt goes through the bracket, then through the grill slats and you use fender washers (these are large diameter washers and are in the specialty hardware drawers at HD) and nuts on the back side to clamp them in place.

The brackets are 1/4" steel so they're very strong, much more secure than the factory DL's.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 PM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wiring's not a problem for me, I have an electrical background.

I've thought about mounting to the grille, and for the cost of the VIP setup, I will be going that route. Its $129, doesn't require removing the bumper, just the grille, which you would have to do either way. Also, they give you a template to cut the holes in your grille for the bracket. Very easy and will look good as well. http://www.vipcustomparts.com/minicooperparts.htm

Another option. Use the CARR light wing. It bolts to your license plate mount and gives you two mounts for lights

http://www.carr.com/store/carrlightwings.asp

Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by six-fingers

This looks like the Wipac driving light kit sold in Britain. Here's a link....

http://www.wipac.com/uk/acatalog/Acc..._Lighting.html

Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Kazy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbren
Not sure where the thread is, but here's how I did it:

I used these angle brackets from mcmaster.com which are pre-painted black.

33125T14
(Same as 33125T143)
Strut Channel Accessory 90 Degree Angle Bracket,
2-Hole, Black-Painted Steel
In stock at $2.84 Each

I put them up against the outside of the grill with some thin sheet rubber behind them (also from mcmaster) to cushion them. Then I just used a combination of bolts, nuts, and fender washers from Home Depot to secure them to the grill. The bolt goes through the bracket, then through the grill slats and you use fender washers (these are large diameter washers and are in the specialty hardware drawers at HD) and nuts on the back side to clamp them in place.

The brackets are 1/4" steel so they're very strong, much more secure than the factory DL's.
Do you mind posting some pics of what this install looks likes? I'd like to see how everything fits together with this kind of install.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 AM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kazy
Do you mind posting some pics of what this install looks likes? I'd like to see how everything fits together with this kind of install.
Here are a couple of snapshots. The backside of the grill just has the bolts coming through with fender washers, lock washers and nuts to clamp everything in place. The angle brackets have different length legs so they can be reversed if you have thicker lights that need to sit further from the grill. If you look close, you'll see the thin rubber sheet behind the bracket. This cushions the bracket and keeps it from rotating against the grill.

Attached Thumbnails Quad Driving Lights-driving-lights.jpg   Quad Driving Lights-bracket.jpg  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 AM
maximus96
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mattbren
Here are a couple of snapshots. The backside of the grill just has the bolts coming through with fender washers, lock washers and nuts to clamp everything in place. The angle brackets have different length legs so they can be reversed if you have thicker lights that need to sit further from the grill. If you look close, you'll see the thin rubber sheet behind the bracket. This cushions the bracket and keeps it from rotating against the grill.
Are those OEM lights that you have? They look smaller than the Hella 500's. i think the hellas are a little too big for my taste, but they are cheap...

Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Xiek
5th Gear
I have had 4 PIAA's for a few years on my Cooper.. I love em, they help with the back roads. Wired them directly to the battery, and have a switch inside that I can turn them on with independantly.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by maximus96
Are those OEM lights that you have? They look smaller than the Hella 500's. i think the hellas are a little too big for my taste, but they are cheap...
Those are Eagle Eye brand lights from JC Whitney. They were around $30 for the pair if I remember correctly. They're not bad lights for being so cheap, however, they are NOT waterproof as advertised. Still, they've held up pretty well and I just preferred the look of chrome over the black plastic housings of the Hellas.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 PM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
The lower grill on Xeiks MINI is a really cool idea!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Scooner8
2nd Gear
Xiek,

What brand wheels are those ? Looks real sharp with your MINI.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xiek
I have had 4 PIAA's for a few years on my Cooper.. I love em, they help with the back roads. Wired them directly to the battery, and have a switch inside that I can turn them on with independantly.

Dude! I LOVE that roof ornament! Where'd you get it?

Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Supercoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xiek

That look awesome!!!! I also like your bottom grille with the Union Jack....I was considering 4 PIAA lights also, but further down on the lower front bumper

Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 PM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
I really like four lights in the front, but have heard people say that it could disrupt airflow. I see it a little but not that much! What do you think???

Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 PM
imnothng
1st Gear
Here's my '03 with the Palo Uber kit. I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to have my front plate on until I went to put it back on after the install. So far so good though.

Name:  FrontDriverEdit.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  191.5 KB

Quick Reply: R56 Quad Driving Lights