R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Rear fog light ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noegel
Well, a law is a law, and if you break it, it really is not a senseless ticket. The cops don't write these laws, they're just doing their job. If it is a slow night, you are going to be more ticket-ready than on a busy night.

Don't break the law, and you don't get a ticket. I assure you, a lot of those cops believe a lot of traffic laws are dumb, too. They wouldn't want to get reported by an old lady, though.

It's happened...
Sorry...that is BS..first the cop gave him a parking ticket....senseless ticket. A lot of these cops give out senseless tickets all the time....some are valid some are not. You give a blanket statement that all cops follow the code...not true. I know this for a fact.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cops in the fog

--When I was still living in Honolulu I turned on my front and rear fog lights in a heavy rain. Visibility was bad and I didn't want to get rear ended. I was merging on to a freeway and I accelerated pretty quick to get up to 60mph. As soon as I checked my speed to make sure I was between 55 and 60 I noticed a pair of small motorcycle headlights right on my tail. The lights moved over to the left lane and from the darkness I heard, "hey you, turn off that red light." I looked over and all I saw was a pair of CHiPs glasses and a mustache on a police motorcycle. I quickly turned it off and said, "ok I turned it off!"

Without a word the cop drove off on his bmw motorcycle.

I still used both fog lights whenever the visibility was bad. I even used it on a foggy morning in New Hampshire driving to MA.

But yes whether they are legal or not it annoys cops. I've been lucky so far with cops admiring how my car looks like a shrunken hot rod and missing key things like an expired registration or not quite legal inspection plates.

My friends who drive STI's, Eclipses, and other sports car imports aren't so lucky tho. They get ticketed for idiotic things like the ride height "doesn't look legal", or "missing modified vehicle stickers".

I know that some states have bigger jerks patrolling the highways than others. So I just keep in the right lane and peg it near the speed limit if I'm not in a rush.

~p

Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 vote for the rear fogs being extremely irritatingly bright in clear night weather.

it's good for flash signaling your fellow motorer that you just passed though.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
elevatus
1st Gear
The original invention and intention of the rear Fog Light was for use on the AutoBahn during inclement weather driving. Drivers would blast through fog banks and just cream each other doing 100 mph because no one's brake lights were "on" (pedal pressed by the driver) because they were moving between 0-20 mph. This light let drivers know that cars were up ahead but they may not be breaking.

If it is on while visibility is good, it is probably just a distraction. I've had police pull me over because I had my PIAA fog lights on on the front of my 4 Runner so I bet it just caught his eye and he figured he'd check in on it.

My wife followed me the other day and I turned mine on, she said everyone was looking at it - because it was so bright. Although I'd like to use mine for fun, after that I just started running it when I am on the road in some really nasty weather.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
On a more general note, I think law enforcement is being instructed from above to generate revenue, in light of the economic situation several states are in.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I guess I got different bulbs in mine, they aren't bright enough to be a bother. You can see them, but, my brake lights are much brighter. I just have an extra set of red driving lights on the back.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Misterfamous
1st Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
On a more general note, I think law enforcement is being instructed from above to generate revenue, in light of the economic situation several states are in.
+1. It's not a law, or else I sincerely doubt the car could be sold in VT/MA. OP- if you didn't sign anything, then I'd fight the parking ticket too.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM
hefro
3rd Gear
I was driving in a snowstorm here in Massachusetts on New Year's eve with my rear fog on. A bunch of European cars had theirs on too. In that situation, it certainly helped with visibility.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hefro
I was driving in a snowstorm here in Massachusetts on New Year's eve with my rear fog on. A bunch of European cars had theirs on too. In that situation, it certainly helped with visibility.
I agree...they serve a real good purpose in bad weather....on a clear night they are anoying.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1. It's not a law, or else I sincerely doubt the car could be sold in VT/MA.

In the right conditions those rear fogs can be a life saver. Only problem I have with them is that lots of folks with them have them on all the time.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Böhme417
2nd Gear
+1 for getting rid of PITA tailgaters

My favorite thing is my friend who just loves her high beams. The other day, we were on the expressway in some pretty heavy fog. Visibility was quite low (barely feet in front of the car). Her solution: flip on the high beams. She does this in a downpour, too. Her reasoning was that because it's brighter, it'll be easier to see. Some people...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
In the right conditions those rear fogs can be a life saver...
Or at least a reassurance.

Originally Posted by Crashton
... Only problem I have with them is that lots of folks with them have them on all the time.
Word. I was behind a Gen 2 MINI who had his on the other night. It was exceptionally clear out.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
I liked to drive with mine on, but recently stopped after reading this thread. Does anyone think that buying some lamin-x tint for them would help? Or would people still get mad and flash their high beams... Im curious cause I do like how they look on at night.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 AM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
I don't have them, but why not get some lower wattage bulbs with the same socket?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think what happened is that he thought
it was your 3rd brake light, stuck in the "on" position,
so he pulls you over.

At that point he realizes he's wrong but can't or won't say that.
So he gives you a revenue generating ticket that he knows
won't effect your insurance.

If he had you clocked at 15 over he would have given you
a ticket for **something**. Maybe reduced, but state
troopers issue tickets. It's what they do.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Think the point was that the police could be doing better things than giving sensless tickets....my town is full of ticket happy cops with nothing better to do...not enough important things to keep them busy
Actually, that particular officer did us a favor by starting a conversation about the proper use of rear fog lights.

Also, OP, what was the ticket the cop gave you for, exactly?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:36 AM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
I have been reading this thread with great interest...one thing that kept coming up in my mind (from Constitutional law days) is the RULE OF SUPREMACY which in very short and extremely simple terms means Federal law/code/statutes overrule State law/code/statutes. To my simple thinking if a vehicle and all its OEM components are approved by NHTS & DOT then a State or local authority (including its law enforcement branches) can not override and create a standard in conflict with Federal law etc. I would say that a LEO issuing tickets for the rear fog lights is in the fog himself.

I gathered some limited reading that might be of interest to some...just random citations (the part about rear end crashes I just threw in for a continued debate over merits of the rear fog lights...which I have on my MINI and will continue to use)

Preemption.[/FONT]--Except as provided in this section, a State or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe or enforce a bumper standard for a passenger motor vehicle or passenger motor vehicle equipment only if the standard is identical to a standard prescribed under section 32502 of this title. (b) Enforcement.--This chapter and chapter 301 of this title do not affect the authority of a State to enforce

Preemption.--(1) When a motor vehicle safety standard is in effect under this chapter, a State or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe or continue in effect a standard applicable to the same aspect of performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment only if the standard is identical to the standard prescribed under this chapter. However, the United States Government, a State, or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe a standard for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment obtained for its own use that imposes a higher performance requirement than that required by the otherwise applicable standard under this chapter. (2) A State may enforce a standard that is identical

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY TITLE 49, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 301 AND RELATED UNCODIFIED PROVISIONS ADMINISTERED BY THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION
Federal Statutes overrule State Statutes
Supremacy Clause, everyone must follow federal law in the face of conflicting state law. It has long been established that "a state statute is void to the extent that it actually conflicts with a valid federal statute" and that a conflict will be found either where compliance with both federal and state law is impossible or where the state law stands as an obstacle to the accomplishment and execution of the full purposes and objectives of Congress. Edgar v. Mite Corp., 457 U.S. 624, 631 (1982). Similarly, we have held that "otherwise valid state laws or court orders cannot stand in the way of a federal court's remedial scheme if the action is essential to enforce the scheme."

[THE SUPREMACY CLAUSE Article. VI. This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

Rear-end crashes are the most frequently occurring type of crash.
-Lead vehicle stopped crashes are the most common type of rear-end crashes.
-The majority of rear-end crashes occur in daylight under good weather conditions.
-Inattention, distraction, and following too closely are the most commonly cited causes of rear-end crashes.
-Rear-end crashes are the most frequently occurring type of crash, making up approximately 28% of all crashes. There were an estimated 1,848,407 rear-end crashes in 1999, out of a total of 6,271,524 crashes (29.5%; GES database), resulting in 951,822 injuries (GES database) and 2,195 fatalities database). Rear-end crashes in which the lead vehicle is stopped or moving very slowly prior to the collision are an especially serious problem, accounting for about two-thirds of all rear-end crashes. The magnitude of the rear-end crash problem has been a source of concern for a number of years, and much effort NHTSA had published the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS 108)

Last edited by MeloR56; 01-06-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
My (admittedly brief) research disclosed no state where rear fog lights are illegal. It is not the lights, per se, that are illegal, but the improper use of them. The use of rear fog lights very well may be illegal if visibility is greater than a certain amount. They are not decoration; they have a specific safety purpose. Similarly, it's not illegal to have headlights. But it is illegal in many states not to have them on when it is raining. Similarly, use of high beams is not illegal; failing to dim them when another vehicle approaches often is. Front fog lights are not illegal; but their use while high beams are on often is.... etc.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I have both front and rear fog lights and use the rear light when being tailgated. But after reading all of the above, I think I will just tap the brake and let the third brakelight pulsar do its thing.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 AM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My thoughts on this -- fog lights are for USE in fog or other limited visibility conditions. Just because the car is equipped with them does not mean the operator can turn them on just because "they are cool." If they are being used under other conditions, I certainly laud an officer citing someone who is using them incorrectly. If I were a police officer, I could generate a ton of revenue by citing all the highly inconsiderate operators that drive in good visibility conditions with their front and/or rear fog lights on. Not only are they displaying bad judgment, but are also being discourteous to fellow drivers.

To those who think that just because their vehicles come equipped with fog lights they can therefore use them as they see fit, I offer the following: All of our MINIs are sold with the capability of being driven faster than any posted speed limit in the country. That the cars were were legal for sale with this capability does not therefore mean that we can USE them to routinely exceed the speed limit.

Paul

Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
My comments are based on the original thread starter in which Stan stated>> He said they were improper and looked like brake lights which does not imply a "use" issue, but rather the devices themselves. Noted that speeding is a law issue and some states do require lights on in rain (such as Virginia) and brights 'on' in on coming traffic is a no no, but I would like to see a specific state citation concerning fog lights (front or rear) usage. Only ones I know of is the federal requirement (thus becomes a state requirement) that fog/driving lights can not stay on when main head light brights are on.

Michael

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 AM
TOPLABDOG
2nd Gear
I use my rear fogs when I get the high beam treatment from cars riding my rear. Maybe harsh but most folks backoff and drop the highbeams

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
I agree...they serve a real good purpose in bad weather....on a clear night they are anoying.
That's the same thing I do. Or a quick flick to say hi to the MINI behind me. But only if I think they'd expect it (ie: someone I know). The rear fog can be insanely bright and I can see how other cars and stupid drivers could misinterpret it.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Too much credit is being given to tailgaters, like they actually think about your brake lights, crap they're on the phone and can't be bothered to actually think about driving. My experience is that they will ride my boot whether the fog is on or not.

Yeah, it works as a brake light but then so does the actual "brake light", that usually infuriates the a-hole doing the tailgating, perhaps the steady light is better ?

I always use it in low light/visibility conditions, that includes dawn and dusk when your eyes really have trouble. Lights are off except the daytime runners, during the daytime.

My route to work has some of the worst and most idiotic drivers on it that tailgate, pass you on curves, over double lines and in passing zones when there is not enough room to do so with oncoming traffic. This behavior has nothing to do with the car I drive or really how I drive. I tend to stay "over" the limit to keep a good average pace for everyone. I have driven 4 different vehicles on this route and have had the same results, just stupid drivers, nasty drivers, those that think money buys "talent", assorted wanna be race car drivers and so on.....

If the rear light is annoying, it has caught your attention and you know that the car is there......pass at the next safe area

As for MINI runs and clear days, yes it should be off.

The soapbox is now free......

Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The officer that stopped the OP never said rear foglights were illegal, nor did he cite him for anything to do with foglights. He said he'd never heard of rear foglights. I never heard of them either until I joined this forum. Fog is one thing we don't have in AZ. Obviously they're legal, and obviously you gotta know when not to use them, just like high beams. It's why you cannot turn on your highbeams and front fogs at the same time I think. Too much cowbell.

Quick Reply: R56 Rear fog light ticket!