R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to initiate Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to initiate Cruise Control?

Hi
I've been driving and enjoying my new MINI Cooper S for 2 months. Few days ago, I tried to initiate Cruise Control after reviewing Manual, but I can't quiet figure out how to do it. Manual says that I have to turn off DSC function, which my Cooper currently has, to initiate Cruise Control. As soon as I turn off DSC, Cockpit displays DSC off image. And I push the Cruise Control button, but I don't see anything on display and don't feel any cruise control driving. So I push the button and hold for several seconds, but still don't feel and don't see anything. Do you think my Cruise Control system is malfunctioning? I follow the every step of Activating/Deactivating Cruise Control in Manual, but I don't quiet figure it out. Has anyone had similar problem with Cruise Control?
I really appreciate your comments.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:03 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Are you pushing the top (initiate or increase) or the left (resume) buttons? The little drawing on the resume button makes it counter intuitive.

Last edited by 4xAAA; 08-22-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: I are a good righter!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 AM
krim
5th Gear
hit the I/O, then hit + (or -)
that's what i do, never turned off DSC before.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Looking at the PDF of the Clubman Manual, these are the steps I read:

*On the MFW press the 1/0 button to activate (turn on) the cruise. A indicator lamp in the speedo will iluminate
*Press the + button to set the speed.

Don't see anything about messing with the DSC.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:08 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Activating button

Originally Posted by 4xAAA
Are you pushing the top (initiate or increase) or the left (resume) buttons? The little drawing on the resume button makes it counter intuitive.
I tried to push the right button, which is the activating/deactivating button. Also I tried to other buttons also, but nothing happens. Do I have "bad" cooper S?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 AM
mauberley
6th Gear
To enable cruise: press the "1/0" button. That should turn on an indicator in the tach. Then, to hold the current speed, press the "+" key. There shouldn't be a need to disable DSC. The manual does say that the car drops out of cruise if DSC is active (that means the system is actively engaged, not merely enabled)--this is also the case if you hit the brake or depress the clutch.

If that doesn't work, have it fixed.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:15 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Thank you..

Originally Posted by mauberley
To enable cruise: press the "1/0" button. That should turn on an indicator in the tach. Then, to hold the current speed, press the "+" key. There shouldn't be a need to disable DSC. The manual does say that the car drops out of cruise if DSC is active (that means the system is actively engaged, not merely enabled)--this is also the case if you hit the brake or depress the clutch.

Thank you for your comments. As you said, I tried everything. Before I looked at my manual, I tried to activate Cruise Control by pushing I/O button. But nothing happened on display. Maybe I will try again today. If still nothing happens, I guess I need to contact dealer for possible solutions. I remember once that I saw the cruise control image with speed very briefly while I was pushing anything on Cruise Control buttons. But after it disappeared, I couldn't get that image back. :-)
Anyway, I'll update you what's going on with my Cruise Control.

Thank you guys...

Old 08-22-2008, 06:17 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley

+1

Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gababo
I tried to push the right button, which is the activating/deactivating button. Also I tried to other buttons also, but nothing happens. Do I have "bad" cooper S?
All Cooper S's are bad, indeed, bad to da bone!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like others have said, this is how it works on my car. Mid year, the 07 models had a change where the tach shows the preset speed when you press + or -.

Press I/O to engage cruise control, no need to turn off DSC. This doesn't set a speed, just enables cruise. An indicator that looks like the left button turns on in the dash above my Nav screen.
Next press + or - to set a speed.
Cruise is now on and holding the speed.

When you need to pause and coast for a while, press the I/O button once. The dash indicator won't turn off, but you'll notice the speed drop off.

When you want to resume the last set speed, press the left button. The one that looks like a small speedometer. Or press + or - to set a new speed and resume.

Pressing I/O twice while "cruising" turns off cruise control entirely. Pressing the brake pedal does the same thing as pressing I/O once when cruising.

When cruise is set and holding speed, pressing + or - anytime changes the holding speed. Also you can push the accelerator pedal to speed up and when you let off, it resumes the set speed.

It took me a couple months to figure it out. Mostly due to the fact that I didn't need to use it until I took an 8 hour drive.

I think the confusing part is the fact you can have cruise control turned on but no speed set. So the cruise dash indicator is turned on but the car isn't holding the speed. It takes that second step of setting a speed once you have "enabled" cruise control. Enabling doesn't set a speed.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
gababo
2nd Gear
Thank you everyone who posted great comments

Thank you so much.
I've just completed running errands and finally figure it out. My Cruise Control worked great. I can see that small indicating light turns on on my Navigator Screen, then I push + and - button for desire speed. Wow... it really great. It maintain my speed on highway, so no need to step on accelerator.
Thank you so much.. For anyone who have trouble activating Cruise Control, just simply push I/O button then push + or - for desire speed. It's that easy.
But somehow I couldn't figure out before. Now I know how to do it thanks to this wonderful forum.
Happy Motoring!!!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't imagine that your MA would not cover this on inital orientation.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
MINICDN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Can't imagine that your MA would not cover this on inital orientation.
Remembering everything that the MA says during orientation is like drinking from a firehose!