R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Two Xenon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Two Xenon Questions

Okay, I know that Xenons don't like to be cycled on and off, as with flashing. (The bi-xenons that were new starting with the R56 don't use regular high-beams--they use shutters over the xenons.) I'd like to know how long do they last? How many cycles on/off are they good for? I've been using them daily, and my trips are at least 10 miles. I'd just like to get an idea of how much wear that sort of cycling costs?

Also, tonight I parked as usual, and left the xenons in the "on" position on the stock when I locked up, as I normally do. When I got back to the car a few hours later, I found the tail lights on (not headlights). This was before I'd done anything with the key. And no, I don't have comfort access. Anyone know what was going on? I'd never had this before.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 AM
pigbat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what my BMW (non auto headlights) does when I forget to turn off the lights. Maybe there was a glitch in the automatic light system.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Also, tonight I parked as usual, and left the xenons in the "on" position on the stock when I locked up, as I normally do. When I got back to the car a few hours later, I found the tail lights on (not headlights). This was before I'd done anything with the key. And no, I don't have comfort access. Anyone know what was going on? I'd never had this before.

Weird. Are your sure you didn't hit the unlock on your keyfob and didn't know it or forgot? I have xenons and I allways leave my light's on during the day and when I shut my car off they go off inclusing all the other lights. Then when I go to my car at night and I hit the unlock on my keyfob the doors unlock and the parking lights come on. (Tail Lights, licence plate lights, and front and side parking lights). Its a setting you can access thr the menu on the stalk.

Maybe it was a glitch.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I'm sure I didn't accidentally trigger it. I was in a group of MINI owners, and I figured I'd better check to see if I could still start the car. The door was still locked. Is there a way for it to "half trigger" the lock, perhaps while I was digging the keys out of my purse? It was as you said, all lights except the headlights.

I'm hoping it wasn't a glitch because it hadn't been on earlier (I think--it was then daylight). The ONLY thing I can think of was that there were 4 MINIs in a line. Three of them definitely don't have comfort access, but I don't know about the fourth, a Clubman. I don't know if there's any way another key could trigger my lights; I know the chips are supposed to prevent it, but ???*

If it's a glitch I might not be so lucky the next time. But if I go to the dealer, I will surely get the SA's mantra: Ooom...we haven't heard of this before...ooom...our techs couldn't reproduce it...ooom.

*I do know of an instance where one person's Porsche key was able to drive another's, of a different year, even!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
How long do xenons last? Can't respond regarding xenons on the MINI, since my MCS is less than a year old.... BUT I've had my Porsche Cayenne now for 4 years and drive with the xenons on all the time, day or night, regardless of length of trip....with no problems or suggestion that they're going to die soon.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:16 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Our '01 BMW has them, too, but we don't burn them unless it's dark or raining. How 'bout on/off cycles--anyone know?