R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help me customize my MINI Cooper.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me customize my MINI Cooper.

I still have some time left to modify my order.. Im thinking of making a few changes, ending up with this setup: [see attached]. From your collective experiences, is there anything that sticks out that you would change. Of course, 'to each his own,' but suggestions always help. Thanks for the info!

Attached Files
File Type: txt
PrintCarConfiguration.txt (3.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 AM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
Looks good. Order it and enjoy!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
I actually ran a bit too much over my budget, so Im loosing the alarm, and cold weather package [i live in florida, usa]--

my only gripe is that i heard there will be an empty slot where the button for the seat heater will be.. I wish they would just put a dummy switch there..

anyway.. i gave myself the blackjack side scuttles as a reward for my sacrafice.

Anyone else have issues with the missing heat seater?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Definitely looks good. Astro Black!

My only suggestion, based on all the reviews I read, and talk on these forums, is that the HiFi is not worth the money, and does not sound significantly better than the standard radio.

I skipped the HiFi, and will get proper (non-paper) speakers in the aftermarket for much less.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
Definitely looks good. Astro Black!

My only suggestion, based on all the reviews I read, and talk on these forums, is that the HiFi is not worth the money, and does not sound significantly better than the standard radio.

I skipped the HiFi, and will get proper (non-paper) speakers in the aftermarket for much less.
Really? Huh. I'd thought I'd seen good remarks about it.

Is the stock setup easy to upgrade? My 6 requires a $200 piece just to get a new head unit...

Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Tu13es,

There are quite a few threads about it in the Audio and Nav forum. From what I read, the HiFi speakers are still paper, and do not sound very good.

Also, the most recent Car and Driver review of the Clubman stated the same.

The actual head unit is next to impossible to replace, as it is integrated into the speedo or nav screen.

However, the 4 front speakers are an easy fix. The rear 6x9 ones are apparently very tough, as you must essentially take apart the whole rear of the car.

I'll find out for myself when my Mini is delivered in August!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
you have a lot of dealer installed accessories. As you can see, the prices don't include installation, some of which I can see being pretty expensive such as the illuminated door sills... you're going to end up going even more over budget with these items...

I'd suggest keeping everything that's factory installed (alarm,heated seats) that you want and ditching all of the dealer installed accessories. They can all be done at a later time if you decide you still "need" them.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
Your too right..

I just got off the phone with the dealer..

almost 500 bucks to install the sills!!!

so in the end, i ditched the sills and the driving lamps.. thank God I wasnt too late to make the changes

Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
What about that missing toggle for the seat heater? is it an eye sore?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 AM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
what exactly does the Anthracite Headliner look like? could anyone post some pics please.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
I believe it makes everything above your head Black

Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hunsingeruk
what exactly does the Anthracite Headliner look like? could anyone post some pics please.
Yeah, it just makes the interior roof and the pillars black. I'm at work so I have pictures turned off, but if you search you should be able to find some easily.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
Tu13es,

There are quite a few threads about it in the Audio and Nav forum. From what I read, the HiFi speakers are still paper, and do not sound very good.

Also, the most recent Car and Driver review of the Clubman stated the same.

The actual head unit is next to impossible to replace, as it is integrated into the speedo or nav screen.

However, the 4 front speakers are an easy fix. The rear 6x9 ones are apparently very tough, as you must essentially take apart the whole rear of the car.

I'll find out for myself when my Mini is delivered in August!
Word. A little poking around and it does seem the HiFi system is less than impressive. Guess I'll save my money. At worst I can just turn the stereo off and listen to the car.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:56 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
What about that missing toggle for the seat heater? is it an eye sore?
I don't have the seat heater. There is no missing toggle. As you can see from the comparison pics below, it looks normal if blank. There will be a missing toggle if you didn't order front and rear fogs (second and fourth toggles).

Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A couple of comments:

- You live in Florida and are getting the Cold Weather Package? Why!? There will not be an empty slot on the center console. The seat heater buttons are on the exterior of the lower buttons and will not be missed.
- Definitely stick with the Anthracite Headliner, it looks great and you'll want it on an Astro Black car!! Pics of Anthracite are in my Gallery.
- I'm no audiophile, but I do have the HiFi system. The front column speakers are pretty disappointing, but the rest of the system I'm perfectly happy with for the $500.
- You have a Roof Spoiler listed under Performance accessories and under dealer install.
- $27k on JustaCooper!? Ditch some of those dealer installed goodies and get yourself an S instead!
- I'm pretty disappointed with the Alarm overall. It seems like it is just there to make noise when I try to unlatch my boot. If I ordered again, I'd go without.
- Do you really want a Fluid Silver interior? If you upgrade to the S, you'll get a carbonfiber-esque interior lining as part of the package and it looks great with the anthracite. Again, I also think its a better choice with Astro Black.

Edit: I see that you've added Sport Seats too, you should really consider just going for an S model and getting the extra power along with all the accessories it includes since you have added all those accessories (or similiar) anyway.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
artp
2nd Gear
Get an "S"

Originally Posted by zonedguy
A couple of comments:

- You live in Florida and are getting the Cold Weather Package? Why!? There will not be an empty slot on the center console. The seat heater buttons are on the exterior of the lower buttons and will not be missed.
- Definitely stick with the Anthracite Headliner, it looks great and you'll want it on an Astro Black car!! Pics of Anthracite are in my Gallery.
- I'm no audiophile, but I do have the HiFi system. The front column speakers are pretty disappointing, but the rest of the system I'm perfectly happy with for the $500.
- You have a Roof Spoiler listed under Performance accessories and under dealer install.
- $27k on JustaCooper!? Ditch some of those dealer installed goodies and get yourself an S instead!
- I'm pretty disappointed with the Alarm overall. It seems like it is just there to make noise when I try to unlatch my boot. If I ordered again, I'd go without.
- Do you really want a Fluid Silver interior? If you upgrade to the S, you'll get a carbonfiber-esque interior lining as part of the package and it looks great with the anthracite. Again, I also think its a better choice with Astro Black.

Edit: I see that you've added Sport Seats too, you should really consider just going for an S model and getting the extra power along with all the accessories it includes since you have added all those accessories (or similiar) anyway.

At that price range you should definetly get an "S". The S comes with front fogs, spoiler and sport seats and do not forget the awesome TURBO.

I ordered a MC but my budget was limited (The MSRP was under $20K).

Last edited by artp; 06-27-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
Yeah it was way too pricey and i had to knock a few items off:

I ditched the alarm, the driving lamps, and the cold weather package [great news about the non-missing toggle btw]

Also.. the dealer did catch that spoiler conflict.. i kept the "accessory" version instead of the smaller one.

The final price he quoted is about 24k [including all fees]--

a cooper S at that price would be a bit bare no? Im not really a speed demon, nor an accelleration fanatic, and the test drive of the standard cooper felt quite zippy.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
also.. it was a toss up between the alloy and the fluid silver, but i chose the fluid because it provided a sharper contrast with the black interior - anyone have bad experiences with fluid silver?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
luckyduck
2nd Gear
My MCS sticker is 24,600. The S comes with more things standard than the MC. Run through the configurator again with the MCS and see how it turns out. I thought about convenience package but ended up skipping it, some of the stuff I'll never use. Then again if the MC meets your needs just fine why spend the extra money on the MCS.

21200 MCS
250 Anthracite headliner
500 DSC
250 Multi-function wheel
500 LSD
500 Comfort Access
250 Color line interior
500 Xenon headlights
650 Dest. charge
-------

Not a stripped model but not all the options either. I skipped the HiFi and the Sport Suspension - will go aftermarket here.

edit - didn't get factory alarm either. That would be aftermarket also but the vehicle already comes with a coded keys so nobody is going to hotwire it anyway.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
I just ran my configuration through the car customizer for the Cooper S. and it gave me a quote of about 28k-- pre installation fees etc...

I think i might have to settle with a plain old cooper -- that extra four grand might be too much for my budget

Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
DanF
5th Gear
The one item thats sticks out to me is looks like you are getting the factory spoiler and then another spoiler installed by the dealer. Why pay for 1 thing twice?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Does anyone have photos of the different Interior surfaces?
I would love to see the difference between the White Silver, Brushed Alloy, and Fluid Silver. I stuck with the standard White Silver myself.. I kinda liked the way it looks. Is it plastic? do the other options give you real metal?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
JohnnyCache
2nd Gear
the dealer alerted me of that, so i kept the nice one and tossed the small one

Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 AM
reyd1
4th Gear
The brushed alloy is real metal on the dash but plastic on the doors.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zonedguy
A couple of comments:

- You live in Florida and are getting the Cold Weather Package? Why!?
I live in Florida as well, and currently have seat heaters in both my cars. Trust me, it gets cold here as well. Obviously not as cold as up north, (I was born in Northern Ohio, lived there 28 years) but colder than you'd think. I use them alot from Nov-Feburary. Of course later in the day they are not as needed, but those early mornings............

It isn't spring break down here year round.

Quick Reply: R56 Help me customize my MINI Cooper.